Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

okay this may be a dumb question but Jack and I are scuba divers and we're wondering if he will ever be able to dive again. I'm not sure the impact radiation has on ability to clear ears or if the pressure changes are too risky in HNC.

Are there any divers out there who know if it is contraindicated? The DAN guidelines are not clear on the subject and our surgeon has no idea.

Thanks JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I did 40 treatments of Hyperbaric Oxygen and my ears cleared for me just fine. I had NO troubles. I don't know if this is the same as actual suba diving, but hope it helps.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
OP Offline

Thanks Minnie, that's helpful to know and I'll bet it's similar. Do you mind me asking what you had the hyperbaric oxygen treatments for? By the way Jack had his PEG tube removed today and he's doing really well. Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I don't scuba, but I swim a lot. It hasn't effected me at all, with snorkle or in deep end of pool. I know that this is not SCUBA, but I think he should be OK if there isn't any damage to the ear canal. Not sure where his cancer was, but hopefully, he will be OK. I do plan to begin SCUBA this winter with a friend in Hawaii. I know I won't have any problems.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.

The nurse who most often visited with me during my HBO dives is a long-time scuba diver and he told me I would be a good diver as I had such an easy time with the HBO, so I concluded there is a direct correlation. This treatment was after a heavy dose of rad, so if Jack's ears still "pop" when there is a change in altitude, I am pretty sure he is good to go.

OP Offline

Awesome!!! Thanks everyone. We had to cancel our trip to Hawaii last February when Jack was diagnosed with tonsil and BOT cancer but we have rescheduled for this February and he's very motivated to resume diving. He is able to pop his ears so I'll take that as a good omen. Steve, you will love SCUBA we've done it for almost 20 years and there's nothing quite like it. Good luck in Hawaii and just remember to keep breathing when you go up.
Regards JoAnne

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jo-Anne,
In 2004 I travelled to Maui and went Snuba diving. Obviously we were attached to the boat and did not go nearly as deep as scuba divers might, but, although I was worried about the dry mouth, I had no problems and no discomfort at all breathing through the device.

Good luck,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

I am a rescue certified diver, and I've been landlocked since my treatment for stage 4 nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. I'm desperate to get back in the water. I haven't treid yet, but my best recommedation is to be cautious. If you have any trouble clearing your ears on descent, abort the dive. Never forget the possibility of a reverse squeeze. They are far more painful and dangerous when bottom and/or air are running low. My thoughts are with you. If you are successful, let me know! I'd give anything to be back in the water!

Max Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I just finished six weeks in Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment. That is a method of treating tissue that will not heal due to radiation damage. I believe it simulates scuba diving. They pressurize the tank to (the equivalent of) fifty feet.

My ears popped a lot going down and coming up. They had to slow the dive down sometimes but I always made it.

OP Offline

Thanks Max, That's encouraging to know. We're going to be very cautious but Jack may try it out when we go on our rescheduled trip to Hawaii in February. If he can't clear his ears then of course he'll abort the dive but it sounds like it's at least worth a shot.

Was the tissue damage ongoing swelling or something else? Did the HBO treatments help?

Regards JoAnne

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics