Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58188 04-24-2006 10:51 AM
OP Offline

I am currently 8 month post radiation and chemo treatments (no surgery). Swallowing has become more difficult over the last four months. I had a swallow test which showed that I am aspirating on all liquids. Last week I had a CT of my throat which shows scar tissue near the epiglottis. Can anyone recommend a swallowing specialitis in the Austin, TX area?

Susan (aka Tami's Mom) - BOT SCC Stage T1/N1= Stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (Docetaxel, Cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

HI SUSAN!!!!!

Glad to see you here. I have talked with Tami on the phone and she is one great lady. The swallowing thing comes and goes. Harry struggles sometimes and other times he does ok. He worries a lot about it but I keep trying to help him understand that the healing process is an up and down thing.

The scar tissue is not unusual as I understand it but there are things that can be done. Have you spoken with your medical oncologist?

I told Tami that I would be more than happy to come and visit if you would like. I know that she is far away but Austin is only 3 hours from here. A liesurely drive!!

Talk to your MO and see what he/she recommends. If worse comes to worse we can certainly hook you up here in Houston!

It is nice to see you here. I hope that you will stick around. Tell Tami hello!!

With Love Always,
Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!

Susan; The condition is called dysphagia, and is generally caused by scar tissue and or a mal shaped epiglotis. I have been unable to swallow liquids since getting out of treatment for my original tumor in jun 04. Mine cannot be fixed with therapy, so I will have a PEG until I die. Good luck and I hope therapy helps you and you can find a good dysphagia clinic.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.

I have had similar problems. I had 33 rad treatments for cancer in my tonsil. The 'stricture' I had was treated with hyperberic oxygen treatments. That's where you go into a chamber and breath o2 under pressure. The purpose is to saturate your body with 02 which will simulate the growth of capillaries. These in turn will allow o2 to go to the effected areas so your body can heal itself.

After that, I had to do what is called the shaker exercise. I still do them. Swallowing is better, however I do need to drink lots of water to get things down. Some thing go down, others don't. Last time I did a baium swallow, my epiglotis didn't seem to work too well. I was told, it's not that important. The radiation caused my muscels in my throught to become like a 'cinder block' as described by my doctor. (Dr. Aviv). He did a test called the FEESST test. Google it. It seems to tell them more than a barium swallow test.

Best Wishes,
Jeff

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37