Hello everyone!

I wrote last week inquiring if HBOT was necessary for a root canal and then I kind of disappeared. Sorry about that. I appreciated all the responses however I needed to step back a bit because things got pretty intense for my husband.

The oral surgeon feels the tooth needs to come out and recommended HBOT. After he conferred with the RO he recommended a treatment center about 30 minutes away from home. On Friday they applied for authorization from our medical insurance and today, Wednesday it was approved. Thank goodness for that! I was a bit concerned because you just never know what the health insurance companies will deny these days.

So, tomorrow we will go to the center to take a look at the facility and more importantly the HBO chamber. I am a bit concerned because my husband is claustrophobic. (he could not tolerate an MRI) I know that he can be sedated but I am afraid it will not be enough. Will keep my fingers crossed!

In the meantime, he has finished the course of amoxicillin and the infection is gone from the tooth. Now that he is no longer on the antibiotics he can start the Prednisone that was given to him to help him with the post rads swelling in the throat and esophagus. I am hoping it will offer him the relief he needs to get through the two week period that people go through after completion of their rads tx.

Norma Steele/Husband, Gordon, dx 1/17/06 w/ SCC secondary, left neck nodes mass, occult primary. Started chemoradiation 2/17/06, completed 4/5/06 (Weekly Cisplatin & 39 IMRT rads tx) In addition, I am a 9 yr breast cancer survivor.