Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nelie Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Well I was back in Boston today to see the speech pathologist at MGH I was referred to by the ENT at Mass Eye and Ear who did a modified barium swallow on me (I had had another one of these locally in Ithaca about 6 mos ago). It was a VERY worthwhile visit (thank you again, Cathy G, for putting me in touch with the ENT who referred me to her), although somehwat surprising.

I had been under the impression that I would find out my epiglottis was shortened (and it is--almost definitely due to radiation she said) and maybe I was having problems swallowing because of that, as well as lymphedema on the base of tongue, restricted range of motion in my upper tongue, etc. and that she would then talk to me about what I needed to do in terms of exercises that could help and would probably tell me what I had heard from the ENT which was that even with exercise I wouldn't get most of my swallowing function back.

Instead, during the barium swallow, she saw areas of my esophagus that had strictures--actually three areas and said that basically I am NOT doing anything wrong in terms of not having tried to swallow enough, or not doing the right exercises, but, basically, I can only swallow small sips of liquid because that's all there's an opening for! Everything else backs up like stuff you try to rinse down a clogged drain and then I have problmes with possibly inhaling it. She said that exercises won't really do me much good as long as this is the case--I need surgery to widen the espohagus where these strictures are.

Apparently this surgery has some risk associated with it--of actually puncturing the esophagus. They actually won't do it at MEEI because of that, but she referred me to a head and neck surgeon at Dana Farber who does do it. I just looked her up on the web and realized that she is the ENT that consulted on my second opinion at Dana Farber over a year ago. So I will call her office tommorrow and try to set up an appointment for a consult. It looks like the surgery probably wouldn'thappen until my Spring semester is over anyway, which is good, and I may have to have it more than once, which is not good but I'll do what I have to. This speech pathologist said that although there's some risk, it is effective.

I am actually relieved in an odd way to know there's surgery that might fix a lot of the swallowing problem. I may still need swallowing work with a speech pathologist after the widening, but the picture seems a little more hopeful to me (even though the risk part is scary).

There's one more thing I wanted to bring up here too which is she said that she has seen MORE of this type of problem with people who have had IMRT. Apparently if the IMRT is not programmed carefully to avoid the esophagus, it is more likely to cause this sort of damage. She said she'd be willing to write a note about this to my RO--and I may take her up on tnhat offer, or I may see if my local ENT can have a word with rad medicine at the hospital once he gets her report.

I know there are probably some folks thinking "I told you so" because I got my IMRT locally but, even though it was local, the radiation oncologist was from Roswell Park--a CCC--and the rad medicine facility I was treated at is a satellite of Roswell Park--so it really wasn't all that clear I wasn't getting top notch care and, given that I'm clearly not the first patient this speech pathologist has seen with exactly this problem from IMRT, I get the sense this may be a problem for a lot of radiation plans. It is certianly an argument for, if you can, going to one of the real top top places for treatment with an RO that has real expertise in IMRT for head and neck patients.

Anyway, it looks like there's more surgery for me down the road and that it might have some scary risks associated but I'm hopeful (I think that's just my nature though).

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Nelie,

I had two endoscopies with dilation performed by a gastro--intestinal doctor in Dec 05 and they were a piece of cake! And they did dramatically improve my swallowing ability. I saw no risk. It was out patient and they sedate you first. I don't even remenber having a sore throat. Like you, there is some scar tissue there due to radiation.
All I know is that I passed the barium swallow test much better after these treatments. This after a year of therapy and Vital Stim. I too was told about bad effects before I had them done but I'm very glad I went ahead. Hope this helps.

Jim Haucke
--------------------------------------------------
SCC rt lat tongue dx 9/03;surg 11/03;recur 1/04, dx SCC stage 4 anterior 2/3 of tongue and pharynx; surg 12 hrs 2/04 subtotal glossectomomy, forearm flap, pharyngectomy; PEG (still have)I now use a syringe for oral intake as tongue flap is sewn to floor of mouth & immobile); 36 rads spring 04

Nelie Offline OP
OP Offline

Jim, Thank you, that is encouraging. I'm still adjusting to the news I need this and am alternating between hope that surgery could make a huge difference in what I'm able to swallow (and I would SO like to be able to eat again) and fear that, if there is some risk of somehting going wrong, something WILL go wrong in my case (not an unreasonable fear given how many things HAVE gone wrong in the last year or so).

I'm also frustrated to learn that this speech pathologist (who does nothing but treat patients with swallowing issues after head and neck treatment) that she believes the IMRT *caused* this. I definitely want them to know this at Radiation Medicine (which is connected to Roswell Park). I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how I can best make sure they not only get this message but that it is duly attended to (as in someone reviews the radiation plan and makes sure that isn't done again). It seems to me it would be best to talk to my ENT here about it (he will get a report from the speech pathologist I saw) and make sure he follows up on it with them. It should be of real concern to him since I know he was someone who really wanted a good radiation medicine facility here and he works with them, refering all his cancer patients there.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

thanks on the heads up on the esophogus issues associated with IMRT. i'm getting my simulation done this coming monday and I very much plan to ask them about it.

SCC on left side of tongue 12/01 left partial glossectomy, left neck disection (clean), recurrence 3/06 on back left of tongue, 2nd partial glossectomy, no nodal inolvement, IMRT completed 6/30/06

Nelie:
I had similar problems with everything you described. I'm much better now, I wrote you before. I don't remember asking you or if you mentioned that you had hyperberic oxygen treatments. I had 29 and they cleared up the strictures in my throat. With a number of dilitations and doing the shaker exercise, I can eat just about anything, although I still have to drink water to 'get it down'.

Jeff

Nelie Offline OP
OP Offline

Jeff, No I haven't had hyperbaric oxygen. I'm willing to have it if my insurance will cover it. We'll see what the surgeon at Dana Farber says (I have an appointment with her June 1st, that's the earliest I could get in and I'm very impatient right now). Can I ask how long you had all this stuff done after radiation? I'm worried that because things have gone on for so long (because no one noticed the strictures when I had the first modified barium swallow done over 6 months ago), I may have less hope of recovering much swallowing function.

Warren, If I'm recalling right you are getting treated at Sloan-Kettering? My guess is you'll be fine there. It seemed clear from what this speech pathologist said to me that this isn't an inevitable outcome of IMRT, it's an outcome of some types of (less than expert) radiation plans.

Nelie

Nelie

I had IMRT at UCSFCCC and have no swallowing problems at all. They do a lot of H&N patients there and I have a followup next month so I will inquire.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Nelie (and others):

The critical issue with IMRT and any targeted radiation is the radiation planning. I had a long talk with our RO at a recent HNC Conference at Hopkins, and he emphasized this. His point was that how the planning is done can have a drastic impact on the extent of side-effects, irregardless of equipment. He referred to the paper given at ASTRO a couple years ago where the same "test" HNC case was given to a large number of radiation oncologists, planning for IMRT treatment, and the plans differed widely.

IMRT can deliver more dosage to the target area but can also more precisely avoid non-target organs and tissues -- but that is where the planning comes into play. Not only the experience of the oncologist but also, his or her bias towards sparing, say, the parotid glands. Some doctors may well prefer to radiate a larger field, especially if there is an unknown primary, feeling that hitting all potential cancerous areas is the most important goal. But it gives the doctor more ability to avoid non-target areas.

Most of the folks I know who got IMRT have not had any strictures but they are not unknown -- Barry was checked for that both with his swallowing evaluation and with endoscope but one of the cautions his therapist gave him up front was to call her if he felt things were getting stuck in his throat -- this could be due to swelling (edema) or to a stricture. Actually, he did think this might be a problem a couple months ago but this has gradually resolved, and an exam last Friday showed no strictures.

His ENT pretty much said what James did -- usually these can be solved with relatively minor surgery -- she's the doctor who had radiation for HNC herself and knows where it's at!

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!

Neile,
I finish radiation in Feb 04, dilitations starting in June 04 and hyperberic o2 in august 04. I had 29 treatments, 6 days per week. About a month later, my GI doc said the strictures were gone. I had a couple more dilitations and was ok for 14 months. I never was able to swallow anything until Jan 05 after starting the shaker exercises. I had another dilitation in Jan of this year and will probably need them every year or when things start to get stuck.
Jeff

Nelie Offline OP
OP Offline

Jeff, Thanks for the info. was there any problem getting your insurance to cover this kind of treatment? My insurance has been pretty good about things so far but I still worry. Nelie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users