Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tom J Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Can anyone speak to the issue of ORN risk dropping over time. As other oral structures slowly regain some function after radio, does this indicate a reducing risk of osteoradionecrosis?? I hope some of you can address this. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tom, it is my understanding that once the blood supply to the bone has been diminished by radiation, it will be forever more vulnerable. Temporary revascularization can be achieved by a series of hyperbaric oxygen treatments, without which any traumatic occurrences may not heal normally due to lack of blood supply.

I had hyperbaric treatments prior to the placement of lower titanium implants. If I elect to have upper ones placed at this later date, I will have to return to the hyperbaric chamber.

Probably not what you wanted to hear and I am sorry for that.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Tom, I was told very clearly by my oral surgeon that the risk of ORN never goes down after radiation. Anytime the bone is exposed, there is a risk, whether it is two years or twenty years later. He also told me the same thing Joanna said about hyperbaric oxygen --it temporarily protects (usually) against ORN if you need oral surgery but probably doesn't change the longer term risk--you'd need it again for it to help again.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

What is ORN?

Thanks, Vickie

Caregiver to husband, Jimmy, Dx 7/05 Stage IV SCC, metastic to right cervical lymph nodes. Occult Primary; Radiation x38; Chemo: Carboplatin & Taxol, 12 weekly treatments. Last treatment 11/21/05. Mets to Tongue/Partial Glossectomy 5/06.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Tom,

I was also under the impression that the risk doesn't lessen over time. I've had a couple of fairly standard procedures in the last two years with my oral surgeon and periodontist, and I know they both were very careful to assess the ORN risk before going ahead with them.

Vickie,

ORN is osteoradionecrosis (you can find quite a bit about it if you search this site). It is basically "bone death" that can occur post-radiation in areas such as the jaw if the bone is exposed during major dental procedures.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989

Vickie, ORN is Osteoradionecrosis, which means bone death due to lack of blood supply, caused by exposure to radiation. This is a very serious business that is difficult to treat - by cutting out the affected bone. Docs never joke about it, and OC patients need to be aware of the risk.

Vickie,

The following may help you:

Osteoradionecrosis...bone that has received doses of radiation may lack the ability to repair itself after trauma. Radiation destroys the blood vessels in the area causing a reduction of circulation to the area of oxygen and other nutrients. This then will prevent normal healing in that area if the bone is injured.

Hyperbaric oxygen to the area will stimulate new blood vessel growth and therefore stimulate bone healing.

Without hyperbaric oxygen, removal of a tooth or placement of an implant will probably result in bone that won't heal.

This is a good article: http://www.virginiamason.org/dbHyperbaricOxygen/sec181033.htm

Hope this has been helpful.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Tom J Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Joanna, Nelie, Cathy and Vickie. I really appreciate the information. Tom

Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tom,

I've had 20 dives so far and then had dental work done. I just had four of my lower teeth (front) and one molar removed on Friday. Now I start back up with HBO tomorrow to finish with 10 more dives. All is well except for some swelling. Not much pain. I was really worried about the ORN, and I guess I still should be. Having the HBO really eases my mind to a degree. One good thing that came about because of the HBO is that the fistula that I have is almost all the way healed.

John

SCC base of tongue. Diagnosed as stage IV, Sept. '04. Partial glossectomy, Radical neck dissection left side, 37 Radiation sessions, Chemo x 7 weeks. Finished treatments January '05. Cancer surivor!
Tom J Offline OP
OP Offline

John, Thanks for the HBO info. I have not had that treatment and know very little about it. Is there a limited number of dives you can take? Will you be able to go in for more after some time has passed? Its very cool that you got some real healing from the time you spent, PLUS got some dental work done. I'm thinking about implanted hooks for dentures, but I'm fearful of the ORN. Be strong. Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users