Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57857 02-06-2006 10:21 PM
Ryno Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey everyone..Im 1and a half yrs out of treatment.Tumor ate so much of my throat up I can only drink my meals.Due to a extream reaction to the Amafostine(Spell?) My doctor stopped them.Of course my saliva glands are just about shot..I drink plenty of liqid all day to talk and breath.My question is ,I get this flem soo thick in my throat that water just wont rinse it out.Ive tried everything..Any suggestions on a liquid that will cut the mustard???I cant do strong citrus because of severe burning ..HELP...

L8R Ryno

Ryno
#57858 02-07-2006 04:33 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ryno
Have you tried Mucinex or a generic guifesin? it should thin out the mucous somewhat.
We also found a humidifier helped, especially at night.
Sorry you are having such a hard time with this.

Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#57859 02-07-2006 05:21 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Expectorants such as Tussin work well to thin the mucous.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
#57860 02-07-2006 06:49 AM

A tip: If the guafenisen syrup (Tussin or similar house brands) burns (which it might, it has some alcohol in it) it can be diluted with water to be swallowed as long as you take in the recommended dose. The Mucinex tabs are large and hard to swallow (can't be cut or ground up as timed-release) but work for longer -- 12 hours.

It is also important to stay very well hydrated.

Finally, many folks have reported getting relief from gargling with a salt/soda rinse frequently to clear out the gunk, and others have had luck with soda water (but it burned my husband's mouth when he tried it).

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#57861 02-07-2006 08:09 PM
Ryno Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to you all Ill give them a try..Gail Mac I cant do pills of any kind ..Chunks of any kind go up my nose or down the wrong tube...Alcohol also burns so bad my body reacts by (What else ?) Throwing up...Its crazy but my body will "Purge" at the smallest things..Take Ensure for instance I cant even smell it or Ill toss ...Must be my in my head I ..I got so sick and all I would taste was ensure ...Guess its not hard to figure..
Thanks again
L8R Ryno

Ryno
#57862 02-07-2006 08:51 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ryno, it is not your mind. When all my nutrition was going in a bag and straight to the PEG, I once got a whiff of it and the subsequent mess wasnot fun to clean up. I think all that stuff smells horrid. I just laugh at the commercials touting Ensure as a cool drink. They will never change their image with me.

#57863 02-08-2006 03:15 AM

Ryno --

Have you been to a swallowing therapist for evaluation? (Sometimes called swallowing/speech therapist). I personally think this should be a routine part of everyone's treatment after the end of radiation therapy. Unfortunately it is often not done. You obviously have a tremendous amount of healing still going on and someone needs to look and see what the status is. Radiation not only burns, it causes scarring, trismus, fibrosis of tendons and weakening of the muscles involved in swallowing. This in turn affects the ability of the epiglottis to "close off" and prevent stuff from going down your trachea (breathing tube). Since you have problems with this, you have swallowing issues which should be identified and addressed. Even though my husband was eating soft solids, when he had his swallowing test they found he was "silently" -- that is, unawares -- aspirating liquids which put him at risk for pneumonia.

A therapist will look at the results of your tests and prescribe exercises to strengthen your swallowing apparatus and tongue. These work, Barry has been doing his regularly since November and his swallowing function is pretty much normal now. They will also be able to see if you have ulcers or existing sores which have not healed. These may require some attention -- sometimes hyperbaric oxygen to aid healing, for example.

Ask your radiation oncologist or ENT for a referral for a swallowing test and also, ask for (nay, demand) more help with the issues of pain and nutrition/nausea. Are you on any pain medications? Any for nausea? No one should be put through treatment and then left to deal with pain and nutrition issues on their own. IMHO, this over-sight should be as much a part of your post-treatment monitoring as are regular CTscans etc.

Both our two local hospitals have swallowing therapists (and do tests) so this capability is not limited to the big CCCs.

As to the guafenesin syrup - if the dose is two teaspoonfuls -- dilute in 2 oz. of water and see if it burns. (Just put in mouth and swish around). No good, then dilute more -- to 4 oz. and see if you can handle it. It does help with the mucous...

If you vomit, be sure to rinse with salt/soda as the soda will counteract the impact of stomach acids on your mouth and throat -- which isn't helping healing. Will also help get that awful taste out of your mouth.

You should try an unflavored nutrient formula for the tube -- these are specifically made for tube-feeding and are better balanced nutritionally than Ensure or Boost, with less sugar. No flavor -- or very little -- which reduces the nausea-inducing artificial taste of the commercial drinks. Brands include Nutren and Jevity.

Gail Mac

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#57864 02-08-2006 05:35 AM
Ryno Offline OP
OP Offline

To Gail Mac..Thanks again for the info Being new to the forum Im so impressed with everyones care and support...Im also so very impressed with your knowledge of the physial problems.You are right I need to go for Imageing of my swallowing.BUT!! I fall into that great american tragedy..."NO MED Insurance" .My Medicare goes into effect soon and I intend to go to a therapist..I also have severe speech problems.(Aperently I have spelling and typeing problems also Ha Ha)I dont have my PEG anymore..In a fit of disgust I cut it out myself.I studied the type I had and did it .The "Flange" I had inside was not a probelem (This to shall pass).And my tube hole healed up.Now I have two nice inney bellybuttons.So...All my intake is through my mouth.As far as medication I stopped my pain meds myself long ago.Bout 3 months after Treatment.I hated the way the "Patch" made me feel ..Fentinal?? (Spell??) I was in such a cloud.. far as nausea I dont have that bad of a problem that I feel I need to medicate on a daily basis .Unless of course I smell ENSURE.... Im going today to get some of the guafenesin syrup and give it a try..Also you are right on the button how you described the throat ..I can get down the liquids OK...But chunks just get stopped..Also viscoscity is a problem.The soups have to be just right or they wont go down..On a good note Im one hell of a soup chief now..

Thanks again everyone for the support and Careing.

L8R Ryno

Ryno
#57865 02-08-2006 04:00 PM
Cat Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Ryno, I'm 15 year's out and still have swallowing problems. I use liquid binadryl childrens at night. I can get pills down but
still live off soft foods as in Baby foods. I don't have a peg tube and didn't want one. I'm
cancer free and just wanted to tell you that there
is a light at the end of the tunnel. I wish you
luck and hope it all works out. Just don't
panic and see the Doctor if you need help with it.
Cathy

Cathy
#57866 02-08-2006 04:01 PM
Cat Offline

PS Ryno, Give yourself time to heal.

Cathy

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507