Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57756 01-19-2006 04:34 PM
Elocia Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey all, I have just finished the 33 IMRT rad treatments and the 5 chemo sessions, and thought I read somewhere on here that someone had some post-treatment exercises for stretching the throat to help get things back open. Can someone post the exercises again???? Or was I just imagining this??

#57757 01-19-2006 04:59 PM

Rather interesting I see such a subject today. My Dad had a swallowing examiniation today by a speech therapist. And she explained alot of things I wish we had known a couple of months ago about him. But, that's what they do. I guess it's like physical therapy for the throat. See if you can get "hooked up" with one wherever you received treatment. I'm definetley keeping it in mind when he recovers.

P.Silveira
Caregiver to Dad SCC Stage III T2N1M0 left hard & soft palate, left Node Dx 8/17/05, Neck Dissection 9/6/05 clear margins, Rx 30 ended 11/9/05, Still not cancer free. + path, agressive, upcoming chemo
#57758 01-20-2006 07:54 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Elocia, Have your doc prescribe some physical therapy and some speech therapy for you. Those folks have lots of exercises to strengthen the tongue, face, neck, throat and more. They can teach you a bunch and HOW to do them. Like most exercises, they have to be done correctly. Grabbing some throat exercises off the web may not be very helpful to you. Congratulations on finishing your treatment. Another "win" for the good guys!! Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
#57759 01-22-2006 03:24 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Elocia,
I'm with Tom on this one. The CCC I was treated at provided a Speech and swallowing therapist, who would provide exercises and instruction after a swallowing study. The exercises were specific to me and my particular problems. I would encourage anyone who has had this treatment to check for the availability of a swallowing therapist.
I might have recovered my swallowing ability on my own, but I'm convinced that my progress was accelerated by the therapist.

Good Health

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
#57760 01-26-2006 05:05 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi --

Chuck is right that the exercises have to be prescribed for each specific person's condition, which will be determined after a swallowing evaluation (fluoroscopic exam where person being tested is usually asked to swallow -- or try to swallow! - a thin liquid, a thick liquid, a puree, and a solid (like a cracker) -- all containing barium -- and will probably also be asked to speak and make certain sounds. The doc will then look at the images (still and moving) and make a diagnosis as to amount of impairment, if any. The therapist will then develop exercises to strengthen weak areas etc. Barry's involve suction and lingual (tongue) exercises and also, certain swallowing exercises.

While Barry got his exam at Hopkins, both our local hospitals also have speech/swallowing therapists and perform swallowing exams (per our ENT who is in private practise at these hospitals).

One word to the wise -- everyone has emphasized how important it is to do this as soon as is possible after treatment BUT not until there is enough healing and reduction of inflammation so that a reasonable exam can be made.

And also, that these exercises may have to be performed indefinately as scarring and fibrosis can show up months or even years after end of treatment -- "creep up on you" is what our ENT said.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#57761 02-01-2006 04:51 PM

Elocia

Hi, just remember everyone is different. I had problems swallowing. I'm still having problems and need to wash down everything with water. But before I did these exercises, I couldn't even do that. The exercise is the Shaker exercise. There is lots out there on the internet about it. It was the only thing that helped me.

Wish you well.
Jeff

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37