Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57707 01-14-2006 08:24 AM
Chilita Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, my name is Michael. My wife (Chilita) was really all my help and support...I am four months since my last radiation treatment, and my tumor at the throat is gone as doctor say.
The problem doctors cannot help is "black hairy tongue". Where do I find info how to get rid off this?
All answers are appreciated...

Chilita
My husband Michael was diagnosed in July 2005 with larynx cancer. Treatment - 7-week IMRT plus cisplatin and fluorouracil the first and fourth weeks - finished first week of October.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Michael,

I had a very black tongue when undergoing radiotherapy. The Radio registrar recommended Nilstat drops, Fungilin lozenges. When Nilstat was unavaiable in this country for a few months I tried Daktarin oral gel which works just as well. My black tongue went away after a while, and I occasionally get thrush still (almost 2 years since I finished radiation).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Tizz

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You may find that this condition will respond well to anti fungals like those described on the seb site for use against candida albicans (Thrush). Your therapies have throw the balance of flora in your mouth out of whack. In the normal population this condition can come from a variety of sources, and while it is not pleasant to look at, is not dangerous.

Black hairy tongue (lingua villosa nigra) is the excessive growth of fungi that normally live in the mouth. The exact cause of Black hairy tongue is not known specifically but it is thought that it is a result of an overgrowth of the bacteria normally present in the mouth causing a discoloration of the tongue. This extra tissue can get stained by food or tobacco and become yellowish, brown or black. Bacteria can then accumulate on the finger-like projections from the surface of the tongue (papillae). Some types of bacteria and yeast make red blood cell pigments (porphyrins), which give the tongue a black color. Also, the papillae may sometimes grow liberally, causing the tongue to look as though hair covers it. Some causes of black hairy tongue have been linked to bloom of fungi following antibiotic treatment, ( or for those of us in treatment chemotherapy drugs) which changes the normal bacterial content of the mouth. Poor oral hygiene and the use of medications containing bismuth such as Pepto-Bismol as well as smoking and chewing tobacco can also cause the black discoloration of the tongue. An inappropriate diet, which contains no roughage, especially fruits, vegetables and cereals, can also play a role. ( Not uncommon in those of us that can not eat properly due to our treatments)

The occurrence of hairy tongue varies widely, from 8.3% in children and young adults to 57% in persons who are addicted to drugs and incarcerated. (Not important to you, but an interesting fact). Although hairy tongue is reported more often in males, it is not uncommon in females, especially those who drink coffee or tea and/or those who use tobacco.

People who suffer from black hairy tongue normally spot the condition whilst brushing and mistake it for a potential tumor. In most cases, lesions are noted as part of an intraoral examination performed by a dentist. Hairy tongue clinically appears as an elongation on an area of the tongue. The hairy papillae appear pinkish white, often retain pigments from food, beverages, and candies, resulting in the varying colors associated with the condition (e.g., black, brown, white, green, pink). The tongue has a thick coating in the middle, with a greater inflection toward the back.

You can remove the discoloration by gently brushing your tongue with a toothbrush twice a day. Diluted hydrogen peroxide - one part hydrogen peroxide to five parts water - also may help bleach the color. You can rinse your mouth with it or apply it with a toothbrush. Avoid swallowing the solution. Rinse your mouth with water afterward. [img]http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/board_images/black_hairy_tongue.tiff[/img]

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Chilita Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your replies. I forget to mention that together with my black tongue I have a weight issue. Is there anything to use besides Ensure? Boost seems to have less calories, and my apetite is still not there...
I am full after two spoons of mashed potato, or is just a feeling...Where do I find info on how to put on those pounds?
Michael.

Chilita
My husband Michael was diagnosed in July 2005 with larynx cancer. Treatment - 7-week IMRT plus cisplatin and fluorouracil the first and fourth weeks - finished first week of October.
JAM Offline

Michael, there are many good recipes and food ideas scattered around on the forums.I don't know how to tell you to find them. Many of us wish we could have a space here just dedicated to food.
Danny Boy's shake is a good start. John eats lots of oatmeal, cream of wheat and swedish pancakes[the pancake mix is made by Lunds and we find it in big gro. stores] These pancakes are very thin and light and go down easily. He also eats lots of cream soups laced with spinach or whatever veggie you prefer. These can always be blended in a food processor or blender. You gotta eat smile so keep experimenting and good luck. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
ahn Offline

Chilita,
My husband is 13 months since his treatment ended and still drinks 2 Mighty Shake PLUS (Chocolate) for breakfast before going to work. He eats about everything now (with a lot of liquid) but these shakes are quick and easy for breakfast. They have 480 calories each. They had them in the hospital when he was going through his treatment. There is a place in Florida that I believe still sells them. They come frozen and shipping is expensive. If you google Mighty Shake Plus they should be a company Florida that carries them, hopefuly close to where you live so you can pick them up. I've tasted them and they are much better than Ensure or Boost.

Chilita Offline OP
OP Offline

Ahn, great. Thanks I will investigate and let you know.

Chilita
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Please check our products for patients page.There is a new TEMPORARY coupon for Ensure there that is worth printing and using. We will be taking the coupon off after a predetermined time with the company.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Chilita, please let me know where you are in Florida. I have 3.5 cases of Ensure that you can have. Hopefully you are close enough that I could do a drop off. I am in Port St. Lucie.

Bill

No love, no friendship can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever. - Francois Mauriac

Thank you for leaving your mark.
Chilita Offline OP
OP Offline

To Florida Bill.
We live in Coral Springs, metropolitan Ft. Lauderdale. If you really want to share that Ensure I'd appreciate and we can meet half way in WPB? - no need to drive. I want to go to Norton Museum or City Place in WPB for long time anyway.
Thanks, Bill.

Chilita

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics