Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
brendaf Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband is seven months out of treatment for tonsil ca. and had some return of taste but now none. Has anyone permanently lost all taste. He is very depressed about this ...HELP

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

There was an article in the Washington Post Health section last week about people who had lost all sense of smell (and as a result, great reduction in sense of taste). A number of readers sent in letters which related their own experiences. Several people said they had been helped by taking zinc (this is based on several research studies) and another said she only got relief with acupuncture, but it worked within a few treatments.

The zinc studies say taking "excess of normal requirements" of Zn restored taste in a numer of post-radiation patients, as I recall Zn is necessary in production of an enzyme involved in taste.

There is a lot of info both on the OCF web site itself and in this forum on "taste" -- do a search on the latter and check the "side-effects" section on the web site main area.

The sense of smell is vital to "tasting" flavors -- otherwise we taste salty, sweet, bitter but not complex flavors. So I would also have him consult with an ENT to make sure he does not have some compromise of his sense of smell as well. Radiation could have damaged this, or he could have an unrelated issue affecting it (apparently long-term untreated sinus infections, for one, can do this).

Good luck,
Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I was warned that I could permanently lose my sense of taste by the RO when they explain all the risks to you before radiation (interestingly he never warned me I could possibly lose the ability to *swallow*, which is becoming a major issue for me right now) and so I was braced for the worst but so far it seems I have at least some taste sense left. Salty and savory(savory is a fifth taste sense that comes from the tongue, not the nose, and it is what makes meat taste good to us--most exemplified by how meat seems to taste better with MSG--which brings out the savory taste), in particular, seem to be functioning about normally. I haven't really done too many things that would be sour or bitter so I can't say about those yet--and I definitely am missing most of my sweet taste sense. As Gail mentioned, all the other complexities of what we experience as the flavor of things really come from odors and those are detected by smell--not your taste buds.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hello Brenda

I have lost most of my taste which hasn't improved after more than 2 yrs. Most things taste bitter to me. Sometimes the first couple of mouthfuls are ok but then I lose the taste.

I am better with sweet tastes. Apparently the sweet taste buds are on the front of our tongues. I like sweet veg such as peas, sweet potatoes etc. My sense of smell hasn't altered at all.

This is one of the changes which I have had to accept. Not easy for a person who used to be a 'foodie'.

I hope this improves for your husband. Love from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
brendaf Offline OP
OP Offline

Helen did you have the IMRT radiation?

Hi Brenda,
Here is just one 'off the wall' thought. Does your husband brush his tongue as well as his teeth or use a tongue scrapper? Take a look at his tongue. It should be nice and pink. If it is white or some other color, he probably has thrush or just junk on his tongue that is blocking his taste buds. Biotene mouth wash might also help keep tongue clean. Thrush needs ot be treated.

As to losing taste due to not being able to smell, this has not happened to me. I am a total laryngectomee which means unless I 'waft the smells' up my nostrils, I cannot smell much of anything. Guess I got lucky and have super taste buds. Everyone's are different.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

No Brenda, I had field radiation to both sides plus a blast to the throat. Very dry mouth now which doesn't help with taste and swallowing. Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'm similar to Helen with treatment and op, done Xmas 2003. Taste was a real problem for a while (avocado tasted like grass) but not so bad now. Peppery, chilli type things, lemon are a bit of a killer, and I really miss bread, and certain types of carbohydrates.

The really interesting thing I find is my sense of smell. It so good, actually too good that many people are now disappointing...can smell bad breath a mile away, the cat's mouth is foul, even though my husband can't smell her, can smell people smoking in a car on a highway (!). I've got the best nose in the business to check if food is slightly off. But it can be annoying when you can smell all of these gorgeous foods you can't eat frown

Cheers!

Tizz

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Brenda,

I hope your husband finds that his sense of taste eventually comes back. It can be a slow process, but I'm happy to say that my taste buds did get back to normal over time. I had conventional radiation (IMRT wasn't even around at the time).

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brenda, while permanent loss of taste is a possibility, he should know that positive changes are possible for months and even years out. For instance, I was told that salivia would not get better after the first year or two. Well I still notice more and more and it has been 4 plus years.

I also agree that it could be worse with active case of thrush (dullness of taste is one of the first symptoms for me) and thrush is not always easily visable.

In addition, salivia IS important to the sense of taste. Replacing that lost moisture with something else is necessary for taste to be normal. I found that milk works very well and warm or room temp. works best.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users