Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ash_fx Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,

My mom completed her radiation (40 sittings of IMRT) about 20 days ago, she had a scan done yesterday which showed a node at the neck, she also has ulcers in her tongue because of the radiation. The doctor says that the node is only a result of the tongue problems (is there a connection?) and that the node shouldn't be a cause for worry and should go away once the ulcers in the tongue go away. They want her to go back in a couple of weeks when they'll check how it's going; both our initial doctor and the radiation therapist feel that the node isn't a cause for worry. I'm not sure what to make of this information. Is it true that the node (side of the neck, about 1.5x0.5 cm) is related (and only because of) to the ulcers in the tongue? Have any of you experienced/seen anything similiar?

Thanks,
Ashwin.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Did she have a node diagnosed as cancerous on the original dx? what kind of follow up scan did she have?

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006
ash_fx Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, there was 1 cancerous lymph node in the neck in the original diagnosis. The follow up scan that happened last week was a CT scan I think. This one is at the same site, but reduced in size. The doctors say it's related only to the infection but I'd like to what you think.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Ashwin,

Try to believe the doctors. Yes, they (raised lymph nodes) can easily be related to the sores on her mouth. Thats what attackes and carries away infection. Or in your moms case tries to carry away. Her nodes just plain dont work anymore being only 20 days out. The drainage is very very slow at best. Healthy lymph nodes would carry that away pronto.

Remember its not cancer till they say it is.
If the docs are saying it's nothing, belive them. They see this every day.

Good luck. God bless.
-rh

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Lots of CCC don't do any tests to evaulate success of treatment until 6 to 8 weeks out -- at Hopkins it's 8 weeks -- because of the fact that inflammation or infections relating to the treatment can cause confusion and upset on part of both doctors and patients (what our RO said). My husband Barry finished treatment Sept. 28 and they will see him Nov. 8 just to look at how well the side-effects are healing (this will include a swallowing evaluation) but will not do any scans or anything to look at the success of the treatment (chemoradiation) until Dec. 6, earliest.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
dsm Offline

My husband was 7 weeks out from radiation when they did his first CT scan this past Wednesday. Good news! Everything was clear. He still has difficulty swallowing due to a complete stricture, but that is being taken care of by dilation. He had one last week and will have another next week.
Sheila

Wife to Tim Right Tonsil CA IV dx 6/24/05, IMRT 36 treatments ended 8/29/05, Chemo (cisplatin and 5FU) ended 9/16/05
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Yes try not too worry. From what I understand early scans can be worrisome because everything is still healing and that can come across on a scan. Lets just hope and pray that she is cancer free and stays that way. Enjoy your Mom!
Tami

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006
ash_fx Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Tami, Gail, RH and others,

My Mom had a 4-weeks-post-Rx check up last week, the scan did show an enlarged node but the doctor doesn't think it's anything to worry about. Like Gail has mentioned, they don't think a scan done before 6-8 weeks have passed after radiation can be "trusted", in the sense that the areas are still healing. As of now, they've told us to come back a month later, by which time she'll be 8 weeks out and that a conclusive decision can be taken or what to do, if anything.

Thanks for all the replies.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users