Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5701 07-14-2005 11:45 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I know it has been some time since my last post. I hope this finds everyone doing well and staying positive! My husband Dan had a clear PET/CT done in April and all was clear!!!!! He has had an enlarged prostate for years, but although his PSA is still w/in normal bounds, the velocity of it's increase appeared to be a potential problem. So, on July 1st, I accompanied him for a prostate biopsy. The MD allowed me to stay in the room while the procedure was being done. They took 12 tissue samples, and it was NOT pleasant. Dan did well with it and returned to work. After work, he and I drove from NC to NY for his family reunion and to visit his mother who is 93 and in frail health herself. We returned to NC on Monday. On Tuesday, I discovered that Dan is having an affair with one of his subordinates and has left me for her. Cancer has spared Dan's life (so far anyway)but has killed my marriage. I was his sole caregiver during his illness/treatment/and recovery. I thought he was going to die at home on more than one occasion, but he somehow pulled through. But I still feel that cancer has played a huge role in this devastating event. I am crushed, not to mention humiliated and hurt beyond repair. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening before? If so, is anyone familiar with, or have any knowledge of support groups for this type of cancer related incident?

Again, I hope everyone is doing well......each of you most certainly are, and will continue to be, in my thoughts daily.

Michelle G.

Michelle
#5702 07-14-2005 11:53 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Michelle,
I am so very sorry to hear of your devastating news. I wish I knew the words to comfort you. You & your husband have been thru so much together & I am so sorry your marriage has suffered so greatly. Please lean on your friends & family now & let them be your caregivers. Cancer is so damn difficult in so many ways.

Please take care of yourself as best as you can,
Laurie

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.
#5703 07-14-2005 03:23 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Dear Michelle, It is sad to hear such news after all you have been through. I'm sorry you have to manage your marriage breakup also. Sending you love and best wishes for your healing, from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#5704 07-14-2005 06:14 PM

Oh Michelle, I am so sorry to hear this. The words ungrateful %$^&*&^ are probably going through your mind. There are probably plenty of 'theories' to explain why he would choose to do this at this time, but at the end of the day I think it hard for any one to really understand why. Even the person who did the leaving. Losing a partner through seperation still involves grieving and that can take some time, quite a long time. My husband of 12 years left my 3 years ago. He explained why, but you know, sometimes I think people make up the story to justify their actions. Oddly enough, he has phoned almost every day to see how I am holding up through the whole having the biopsy, waiting to find out if it was cancer thing. The cynic in me told my Mum that I thought that he was just checking to find out whether he was going to have to take over the rearing of four young children as a sole parent. The kinder, softer part of me said that just because someone doesn't care for someone romantically, they can still care for them as a human being. Take care of yourself. After years of caring for someone else it will be a huge change to have to take care of yourself. counselling may not solve the problem or take away the hurt, but it does provide an opportunity to talk about it as often as you need to with someone who is professionally trained to provide support and guidance and is not emotionally involved like our families and friends are.

#5705 07-14-2005 11:51 PM

Thats messed up...

Here Im worried because if I end up having something I have no significant other to go through it with me, besides my family, AND the girl that I thought would be there... well things didnt turn out...

Alot of people think Im crazy for saying this, and while I am thankful nothing has been found yet in my case, I had it all planned out. I was ready to fight in case something was found, and I was actually quite happy that even if it was my time to go I would have loved someone and had them love me, and otherwise my shot 22 years of life thus far had been productive, enjoyable and very full. Length of life is not so important to me as the quality of it.

And here this man who you have done so much and been there for thanks you like this?? I would agree with oceanangel and suggest counseling, if that doesnt work out, do whats right for yourself and move on, you dont deserve this.

Ian.

#5706 07-15-2005 02:49 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Michelle,
I am so sorry to hear of your news. I am also very sorry you are hurting. This is a real suck thing for him to do and ungrateful doesn't even scratch the surface. Something similar happened to my friend Rod. In the worst part of his treatment after his 3rd chemo treatment his girl started her crap. He knew something was wrong when he was in the hospital and she didn't come to visit.Her friends and drinking were more important. Shortly after that she left for another man. He was very, very sick when she left. I think thats why his depression and self esteem were so bad. He didn't have teeth and was very thin, he thinks this is why she left. frown This doesn't even begin to tell you how horrible she was to him the whole time, when he was the one who took her and her three kids into his home and gave them the world. A week before his treatment started, he was putting a pool in for her kids. frown It all makes me very livid to think about. But all I can say is...live for you now.I don't know why people do the terrible things they do to each other but they do. Maybe right now he isn't thinking clearly...who knows!Maybe he will come to realize what he's done...maybe it will be too late???? Just take care of you!And I agree with the above, couseling may do a world of good for you! Let us know how your doing! Will be thinking of you & God bless!Maureen

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
#5707 07-15-2005 04:21 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Michelle, I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Take comfort in the fact that you were there for him and you did the right thing! You are in my thought and prayers, Take care and God Bless, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#5708 07-15-2005 05:28 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's really disappointing. A range of emotions are experienced during an ordeal with a life threatening illness, but I can't imagine how this could happen. Life is crazy, no doubt about it. I've heard of caregivers leaving, which I can't fathom either, but this is really unfortunate. I'm sorry you've been put through so much.
Dave

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#5709 07-15-2005 05:57 AM

Michelle
You can go on with your life with your head held high and a clear concience, more than Dan can ever do !
You will never have to tell yourself, I wish I had or I should have done... you were there for him through every step of his treatment and recovery.
I wish we could put it down to Chemo Brain or some such thing but , unfortunately I do not think that is the case .
He is just one selfish, uncaring, so and so.
I am so sorry you are hurting Michelle. Hang in Girl.

Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#5710 07-15-2005 07:34 AM

(This is from Barry Cooper's wife, Gail, using his log-in)

Michelle, what a terrible thing! I had a dear friend many years ago who went through a similar situation, but SHE was the one with the cancer (breast cancer). She went through hell, recall in the 70s radical mastectomies were the norm, but she made it -- surgery, radiation, the whole works. When she was just getting on her feet, her damned husband (who was a big-time correspondent for Time magazine and managed always to be on some overseas assignment when she needed him most, thank God for her sister and Mom) left her for some young chick in his office.

She just considered it "good riddance to bad rubbish" and went on with her life. She had a great time doing it!

Gail Mackiernan

#5711 07-15-2005 11:35 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Michelle,

I know this will sound quaint maybe but I want to put this out there.....

Sometimes the things that we think are for one reason really turn out to be for another reason entirely.

It is best to look forward not wondering what went wrong (and I am really not one to talk here since I am most guilty of this) but spend the time thinking about what you want.

As a caregiver, I can honestly say that we give up our whole life to take care of others. We do it gladly and graciously with love and honor. Look at this as an opportunity to be selfish without the guilt of wondering who you might be hurting in the process. We caregivers tend to carry a lot of guilt and now is your opportunity to break free and let go.

I know this all seems easy to say, and you're right. We are all full of advice until we have to look in the mirror and listen to ourselves. Then those easy words become the most difficult to carry out.

It is your time now. You have given only a piece of yourself to him and now you have a chance to take back who you are or want to be.

When the crying is done and you are ready to move forward, open the windows and unlock the doors and step out into the sunshine.

Feel it warm you inside and out, then turn and walk into your new life.

Someday, Dan will discover that he made a terrible mistake. I am married to one who will always be in a position to realize things too late. I don't understand people who can't value the gifts they have now. The ones who never know what they have until it is gone. But it is their loss and I would bet that you will find down the road that this was a turning point that leads you to the happiest places in your life.

Make the most of it and you will never regret a thing!!

I feel your pain because I live in fear of the same outcome sometimes. Just hang onto those things that make you wonderful and you will make it through this.

All my thoughts!
Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
#5712 07-15-2005 12:20 PM

Cindy
I am so proud of you!
What a lovely thoughful and kind post.
Made me cry.... if that hubby of yours does not see what a gem you are , shame on him.
Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#5713 07-16-2005 12:12 PM
OP Offline

Marica: yes, shame on him for sure.

Thanks Cindy and everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I've heard of cases before where the caregiver leaves, but never the reverse. I was wondering if anyone has heard something like this due to the radiation. Dan is not aware of the post- radiation problems he may face.....nerve damage, twitches and such. I could never get him to read anything on it, and it never came up in his visits. I never had the heart to tell him what may lie ahead. Since radiation can cause such damage along with the good, I was wondering if perhaps there may have been some damage in his brain that impacted behavior, etc. During his tx when he was so very sick, he experienced a huge problem with delerium. They thought the cancer had spread to his brain. The MRI showed no cancer, but some changes that are typical with dementia patients. I was so glad there was no cancer, I really never pushed the docs for a more definitive answer.

Michelle
#5714 07-16-2005 12:48 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I'm sorry to hear this but, to be honest, I have issues with the title of the post. Some of us are not going to win this battle and the title, at first look, gives a bit of a chill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics