Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56544 06-20-2005 09:07 PM
gillijl Offline OP
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

Just a question about sutures, both inside my mouth and out. I am now 4 weeks post-surgery (I can't believe it's that long already!). Last Friday, the plastic surgeon told me it would be about 30 more days before the sutures inside my mouth started to dissolve. I would like to hear from others how long it took for them? I have one suture in particular that's really annoying. It is in the very back of my tongue rubbing on my throat right where I swallow. Makes me want to gag all the time!

Also, on my incision on the outside, I have several places where sutures are sticking out. The plastic surgeon said to just trim those off whenever they poked out. I have two places where I get large sores where the sutures are. Any ideas on how to deal with these? They are almost like gigantic pimples.

Besides petty annoyance, recovery is actually going pretty well. I am starting to eat some "real" food, but still not doing a whole lot of actual chewing. Swallowing's okay unless I get food right in the center of the back of my tongue......if that happens, that's where it stays! The home health nurse came today, and my arm and leg are healing up fine. Also, the trach hole is almost completely sealed up now.

Thanks for all the support.

Jennifer

Jennifer
Stage II (T2N0M0) SCC diag 4/21/05; partial glossectomy & selective neck dissection (good margins and lymyph nodes negative), jaw split, 1/3 of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - 5/23/05; 42 years old at diagnosis
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jennifer,

You shouldn't have to deal with the sutures that are not dissolving and causing you to gag. If you don't have an appointment, you should make one. It would be a good idea to get the external sutures checked. It sounds like they could be infected.

Call tomorrow. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

If you have the nerve, steady hand & a very sharp pair of very pointy scissors, you can clip & remove the irritating sutures as I did! It's a little weird to pull those stitches out yourself but can be done! I'm just impatient enough to experiment like that. I did screw one up at first because I snipped off the bits that we're exposed & then had nothing to get ahold of to pull the loop through & out! It was a great big one right inside my lower lip & kept catching on my teeth! So there it stayed & continued to irritate me for a long time until it finally did dissolve or just become part of me. I was much more successful with the rest I removed myself. My dentsit was actually impressed! The surgeon wasn't as amused. Oh well! The one way back in your throat might be a little tricky! Happy stitch ripping! Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I'm not sure it is a good idea to be removing sutures with out a "go ahead" from the doctors. I'm not surprised that you did it though Erik! eek

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

I agree with Mark. I said before, Jen, call the doctor that put in the sutures. Get those "sores, checked out. I don't like the idea that they may be infected.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

Hello Jennifer,

Glad to hear you are doing so well after surgery.
I don't seem as worried about the sutures as you are. If the ENT looked at them and wasn't to concerned I wouldn't be either.
When the trach hole heals up you will feel much better. I kept plugging mine up with flem. Could shoot one out the trach hole 10' feet. Seems funny now but it wasn't then.
Hope you continue to do well!!! What is your next
option as far as treatment goes?

All My Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
gillijl Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone. I'm not really worried about the sutures, just annoyed by the one in my throat and wanting to make sure the outside ones don't get infected. Jerry, they're not infected, at least not yet! :-) The plastic surgeon saw them on Friday and thought they looked fine. I'm just trying to make sure they don't get worse.

I clipped off the outside ones, and they're not so "puffed up" anymore. As for the inside ones....I am not NEARLY as brave as you Erik! I feel whiney calling the doctor about it, but if it doesn't dissolve soon I'm going to ask if they can trim or remove that one.

As for treatment, they're not recommending anything further. All the lymph nodes were negative and they said they got really good margins. Any comments on that? I know a lot of you think it should be followed with radiation and/or chemo too.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Jennifer
Stage II (T2N0M0) SCC diag 4/21/05; partial glossectomy & selective neck dissection (good margins and lymyph nodes negative), jaw split, 1/3 of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - 5/23/05; 42 years old at diagnosis

Hi Jennifer
I only had an issue with one stitch, it was 9" long, treble stiched in my throat, when it came loose I used tweezers to remove it, was like spagetti, LOL. Kept choking, use your best judgement
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
JAM Offline

From reading the above, John must have been lucky. Altho he had some stitches in his mouth, after the lymph nodes were removed, his neck was stapled together[kinda looked like a modern version of Frankenstine] the nurse removed every other one before he left the hospital and the surgeon removed the rest about a month later. There sure are alot of different techniques out there. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Jennifer,

Clean margins and no lymph nodes. Just what I had. No furhter treatment recommended for me and I am very comfortable with that.

Just keep getting the checkups.

Jerry

Jerry

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users