Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

meant to add an observation, that it seems that all the throat dissections on here are on the right side, as with my brother, to remove the lymph nodes?? even though his left side was opened up to check those nodes, which were ok...might be an interesting question to put to your surgeon's?....

paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,its been a little while since I asked some questions, I trust your all doing well...my brother is coping quite well but he seems now to drink (alcohol + beer) a little in excess...he was never a big drinker but now sometimes drinks more than he ever used to?...has anyone noticed this effect?...maybe the mouth sensors are aided by the alcohol? his taste is about 80% back...any thoughts welcome...

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Paolopp,

I haven't found my mouth sensors aided at all by alcohol. For a long time after my treatment ended, I couldn't stand even a sip of anything alcoholic. Gradually I found that I could drink moderate amounts of wine (and enjoy the taste again) -- never did like beer anyway, so that hasn't changed. On a couple of occasions over the years I've tried a taste of some form of hard liquor and find that it still burns so much that I can't stand it and don't try anymore.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

hi Cathy, thanks for getting back so quickly...glad you and he still enjoy the wine...maybe I'm just being too critical at this stage, just one year since completion of treatment ? maybe he is just experimenting to revitalise the taste buds...well the march continues...

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Actually, after about the first month after radiation, beer and white wine went down easier than soda. I let to let soda go flat before I could drink it. I've also never been a soda drinker anyway. If it's not alcohol, it's coffee. Took almost 3 years before I could drink most red wines. If he is not doing it because he is depressed and he's not over doing it. it may be ok.

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
paolopp Offline OP
OP Offline

hi Eileen, sometimes I think he's overdoing it, maybe making up for lost time? or opportunities?...very glad your doing good

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users