Hi,
This is my first time on the forum. I think that this site is excellent. Much better than any we have in the UK, and the information is brilliant!

Can anyone help me with information about loose teeth following radiotherapy please? When I had surgery (June 2003) my lower jaw was cut in half to allow access to my mouth. It was pinned back together. Following surgery I had radiotherapy (33 sessions) ending September 2003, and now find that 4 of my lower teeth are loose. My chin is also sore around the area below the loose teeth.

I am going for an x-ray next week, but am concerned about why this is happening. Could my bone in my jaw be dead? Could my teeth be damaged? If so, what will the likely result be? Even worse, could the cancer be back? If anyone has experience of this problem and could advise me I would really appreciate it. Thanks. confused

Debbie T, from Southampton, UK. Cancer of tongue - stage 2(diagnosed 04/03). 45% tongue removed and reconstructed from left forearm, plus radical neck dissection (06/03). All followed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy (ended 09/03). Diagnosed at 43. Non -smoker, social drinker, don't know why!