Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#54009 10-14-2003 05:51 AM
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

I finished radiation on July 10th, 2003 and still have some issues that I worry if they are normal or not.........I probably worry enough for two people! Three months out I am still having pain in my ears, mostly my left ear. It seems to come and go and is a sharp pain at times and a feeling of "fullness" at other times. My neck on that side is also sore on that side along with my jawbone. One thing I have noticed is that I have gotten more active the past month and I wonder if I am using and turning my neck more now then I was before?? My neck was pretty tight and stiff until the past few weeks and now it seems to be getting better in that aspect. Anyone else experience any of this? I guess it scares me that ear pain is a symptom of oral cancer. I told my oncologist at my Sept. visit and he looked in my ears and said they were fine. I had a CAT scan done on Sept. 23rd and the results were clear.............6 months from surgery and all fine so far. Just wish some of these "odd" things would go away so I could maybe take just one nice, deep breath for the first time since April 1st when I was diagnosed. Any information would be much appreciated.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54010 10-14-2003 06:20 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Also, now that I can finally post here again, I have so many questions. Is it normal for the inside of the mouth to still be sore three months out of treatment? I am eating alot better now but still use the tube to supplement.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54011 10-14-2003 07:42 AM

Just to give you some idea, my father is 5 months post rad treatments and is still in alot of discomfort. He also is experiencing sharp ear pain, throat ulcers and is still unable to eat. He tried to keep his weight up with shakes, etc. but had to have a PEG tube put in about 3 weeks ago. My dad is 71, so his recovery is going to take alot longer, but we were told for every week of radiation, plan on a month of recovery. Sounds like you are making great progress!! Best wishes on your recovery!!!

#54012 10-14-2003 11:15 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My husband finished radiation of SSC of the tongue at the end of April. His jaw is still very sore, and tongue is still burning. He had a visit with the oncologist last week, he said this is very normal and my husband is still healing.

Take Care,
Cheryl

#54013 10-14-2003 01:05 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Minniea, mouth sore can last very long after radiation depending on the dose you received. With a very dose of radiation and concurrent chemo, there were plenty of ulcers in my mouth which made eating and drinking water painful. The ulcers would gradually disappear without your noticing but you will feel eating and drinking becoming more tolerable. I am almost two years post treatment and there are still minor ulcers on my tongue which give me a burning feeling if I eat spicy food. I have said goodbye to pepper, curry and chilli for a long time already. This doesn't bother me because I still have a long list of food I can eat. So be patient, mouth sore is very normal and will take time to go.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#54014 10-14-2003 05:40 PM

Minniea, I had (and sometimes continue to have) many of the sensations you are describing. I also noticed they seem to be more noticeable after being more active. I have found things get gradually better with time.

For those folks having a "burning" sensation while eating you may have a yeast infection. They are common post radiation, and do not always exhibit visable symptoms. I was plagued by them up until recently (over 2 years) and the only symptom was a burning sensation while eating or drinking. Nystatin swish (prescription) was all it took to knock it out for weeks at a time.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#54015 10-14-2003 06:50 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Minniea I'm almost a year out from the first surgery/rad/chemo and still have tighness etc on the left side. Right side is less from the second go round, but for some reason that side has more issues with ears fullness feeling, ringing etc. Asked ENT about it, he blamed the radiaton/chemo. I think they dropped my on my head transferring me from operating table to bed.

Did you by chance have cisplatin for chemo? I did, and one of the side effects of cisplatin is it can cause ringing of the ears. Oncologist stopped the chemo immediatly after I told him I was having ear problems during treatment. The ear problems continue on and off.

Also still a little sore in the mouth at times. I don't expect that to ever go away fully. I have heard that because of the reduced saliva and dry mouth, the membranes in the mouth develop very fine cracks, much as dry skin would. Thus the cause of the pain with spicy foods. I used to be able to eat even the very spiciest of Thai food, etc, now, not any more.

So guessing what you are experiencing is normal for what ever passes as "normal" in this situation.
Bob S.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#54016 10-15-2003 02:34 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for the replies. I often wonder if I need a shrink right now rather then a medical doctor. Seems I spend all day chasing down the latest symptom and worrying on it. Once I get one checked out, I find another one to replace it. I am driving my husband bonkers with it. I live in Virginia Beach and this time of year, with the season change, lots of sinus and allergy issues crop up. Even though the entire population around me is suffering from sinus headaches, I will convince myself that mine is cancer in the brain. Guess it's a stage in the process of becoming a survivor. On the brighter side, I am able to "forget" about it for a few hours at a time now which makes me very happy. And my children treat me like "mom" again rather then some stranger. My 9 year old even had a temper tantrum yesterday (she's youngest of 7 and very spoiled) and didn't feel guilty about it for hours afterwards! Life is normal again and for that I am grateful. Everyone have a beautiful day.

#54017 10-15-2003 02:37 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Bob S., I didn't have chemo, my team didn't feel it was warranted. I did, however, have radiation to both sides of my neck even though nodes were only taken out of the left side. Gary had told me that he also had ear problems after radiation but I am wondering if it's normal for it to last this long. It's not a ringing in my ears nor do I notice any hearing loss.

#54018 10-15-2003 12:59 PM

Minniea if you are just 3 months out from radiation you probably are still "cooking". Kind of like when you take food out of the microwave it still cooks for a while afterward. Sounds kind of gross, but the radiation still works for a few weeks afterword.

Then the rule of thumb around here is side effects for a time of every month per week of radiation. So if you had radiation for 6 weeks, then figure on side effects for 6 months.

You're not going crazy, all of us experience the same feelings for a while after treatment.
Bob S

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users