Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53999 09-24-2003 12:23 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi every one

My mum has had a Peg tube in place since January this year. Unfortunately she is experiencing a lot of pain with it and discharge.

Originally we thought it was just inflammation because she caught it on something a while back. The doctor prescribed Vioxx to relieve the inflammation but it hasn't really helped.

Mum even saw the PEG nurse who actually inserted the PEG in January and she says it is to do with Mum's flange (the triangle piece that sits touching the outer stomach). She says that Mum didn't have it close enough to her skin and so what is happening is that the tube goes in and out a lot taking bugs from the outside of the tube in.

She advised Mum to try and keep the flange tight against her skin, but this is proving to be very uncomfortable. Also they took a swab of the discharge and it is not an infection or anything, but this pain in her stomach still remains.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do about this? I must mention that Mum is very particular in keeping the area around the PEG clean.

By the way I have read some of the posts on the board and noticed that it is advisable to have the PEG replaced after 3-6months. No one has suggested this to us for my Mum. Do you think it is worth asking about?

Kathleen
Carer of Mum/Cancer of base of tongue removed January 2003 - no radiation.

#54000 09-24-2003 04:17 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, I had a PEG for 2 1/2 years, It was changed every 3 months at Radiology Dept. I think I had every problem you could have with a PEG because I had it so long. If she is tapeing it tight it may have pushed in to far, I use to have to ajust mine when it felt painful. I am allergic to tape(if its not one thing its another!) so I used to tops of old panty hose to keep it in place. I felt this worked better, kept it in place and let air get on it.Loose clothing is good also, so it does not get pulled on and hurt.I could not have made it without my tube, plus nutrition, fluids, and all my meds were in liquid form and I put them thru the tube. If they did not have liquid at the drug store , they had it brought in, only took a couple of hours. We never had to crush anything. A new tube would seem in order right now to start. Good Luck.PS; Would you believe I actually miss it?

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users