Next Thread
Print Thread
#53855 01-25-2007 04:20 AM
LisaB Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi,

I find this confusing. They say eat foods with lots of antioxidents, then they say too much can promote bad cell growth.

I read this study by Gary Stoner http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/canberry.htm
The article says:

"Stoner, who has also found similar anti-carcinogenic effects with strawberries, said the study results suggest that a daily diet of about 1.4 to 2 cups of fresh berries may be ideal for staving off certain types of cancer."

Then further into the article it says:

"When berries were fed to the rats that had been pretreated with NMBA, the diet containing 5 percent black raspberries seemed to inhibit cancer to a greater degree than did a diet of 10 percent berries, a finding that has also emerged in other studies," Stoner said. "There are certain compounds in berries - and other fruits and vegetables - that in very high doses may actually promote the cancer process. This certainly doesn't mean to stop eating fruits and vegetables, but don't overdo it."

The info posted on the OFC site at:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/news/story.asp?newsId=536

Article says:

"For us, we would need to eat about four cups of fresh black raspberries a day," said Chris Weghorst, PH. D, of the James Cancer Hospital.

So how much should you eat? How much is too much?

Also; most talk about oral or esophageal cancer. What about H&N?

Thanks!

My Dad (Sam) at age 69 dx SCC Base of Tongue T1N2C Well-Diff - March 2006.

35 IMRT rads & 3 Cisplatin chemos - Apr-June/06. Nodes shrunk 50% Dr's suggest ND. Negative PET - he declined ND.

March/07 Had Bilateral ND. No Cancer!! Doing Well!
#53856 01-25-2007 06:59 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Lisa,

Oral and Esophageal are HNC. I wouldnt read too much into it. Really.

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
#53857 01-25-2007 08:50 AM
LisaB Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks Robr. Ok I thought they were all HNC; it confused me when I read something works on esophageal cancer and now being tested on oral cancer.

I see they are trying out gels and lozengers. No updated info that I can find?

Well I'm still interested in hearing what any of you know, or have been told on how much is too much?

Thanks!

My Dad (Sam) at age 69 dx SCC Base of Tongue T1N2C Well-Diff - March 2006.

35 IMRT rads & 3 Cisplatin chemos - Apr-June/06. Nodes shrunk 50% Dr's suggest ND. Negative PET - he declined ND.

March/07 Had Bilateral ND. No Cancer!! Doing Well!
#53858 01-25-2007 03:25 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hold on everyone. There are historical studies like these which have been published for more than a decade. No one is going to eat their way with berries out of a recurrence or getting cancer in the first place. This has to do with compounds found in the berries and you would have to spend your entire income each month on berries, eat them to the exclusion of all else, (let alone the amount of time you would spend in the bathroom) to get enough of the "suspected" essential components in the berries to have any "possible" effect. Besides this is working in rats... the preliminary nature of the science speaks for itself in that respect - we are not rats...at least most of us. The recommendation is to eat a healthy diet that includes these along with tons of other nutrients that also have chemo protective qualities. All this will still not guarantee you safety from the big C... you will have to have a genetic makeup that lends itself to a strong immune system and a predisposition to be protected from developing cancer. You all need to understand that this is a genetic disease and there is no magic bullet out there that is going to change the course of your life at this point in time, or for that matter in the near future.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23