Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#53388 09-17-2003 12:56 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi BeckyR46
hope this gives you some ideas
3 carrots 1 apple 1 orange serves one
scrub and trim the carrots, quarter the apple, peel the orange and cut into rough segments put everthing into the juicer use immediately, only because it separtates if you leave it to long, if you do just shake. ALso www.bbc.co.uk click on food, then on reciepe search, use juice or smoothies should give you some more ideas
all the best
helen.c

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#53389 09-17-2003 02:35 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Becky,
I blend a fruit or vanilla yogurt with fruit (banana 1/2, stawberries and blueberries) for a yummy treat. Not big on veggies (tsk tsk) so I don't have a smoothie recipe for those.
I think your husband will like this. wink
Judy U

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03
#53390 09-21-2003 01:21 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Ok so I've been yapping about this Chinese herbal soup my wife makes that tends to give a good energy boost, strengthen your body, make you feel better. Please forgive if the translation isn't all that clear, This is one of those "there really isn't a recipie for this, just a handfull of this and that" type of recipies.

A word of caution here, this is an acquired taste. If you're expecting normal chicken soup, forgeddaboutit. However it does seem to help with the energy level. Some of the ingredients are going to be difficult to find stateside, you don't want to be using the powdered stuff. The Chinese name of the ingredient is in brackets.

20 grams Red Glossy Ganoderma (chi ling zhi)
10 grams Astragalus Membranaceus /Astragalus Root (huang qi)
10 grams Chinese Angelica (dang gui)
(all three of the above should be chopped into pieces. Stuff below doesn't need to be chopped)
a little bit (like a quarter of a orange

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#53391 09-21-2003 01:46 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Bob, as a Chinese, I perfectly understand your recipe but I haven't tried the type of chicken soup you wrote about. For those who love chicken, I think it is necessary to take away the skin before cooking to avoid too much fat in the soup. I prefer using lean meat in the soup. Judging from the ingredients, I don't think you guys in US can get hold of the herbs. For me I eat a lot of different types of fresh fungus, mushrooms and strawmushrooms. Stir fry or boil them in soup with some meat. Very cheap and available in supermarkets.Easy to cook and swallow too!

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnose in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#53392 09-22-2003 06:11 PM

Karen, I did forget to mention that that chicken is skinless and cut up somewhat. Nicole uses black chicken, says it's better.

In some areas of the U.S. there are large "China towns" that carry this type of stuff. In Southern California there's a chain of supermarkets called "99 Ranch Markets" that specializes in Asian foods. Walk through the doors you pretty much leave LA and arrive in HK.

Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#53393 09-24-2003 04:25 PM

OK folks you asked for it and finally it is here.

My world famous blender ideas!
(more commonly known as Chrome Teeth Cuisine)
(less commonly known as dizzy food)
(even less commonly called tornado food)

The first rule about blender food is THERE AIN'T NO RULES! I tried almost anything.

First stock up on a few items. Get to a health food store (or a super grocery or big drug store) and get a high protein powder mix, It is like flour and has almost no taste so it can be added to anything. A lot of whole milk, at least a half gallon of vanilla ice cream (the better brands have more real dairy and thats what you want). A bunch of bananas, Large selection of yogurt, wheat germ, regular oatmeal (quaker), any other grains you like, your favorite vegetable oil (olive if you like it or some of the other good for you kinds), eggs (cooked), any other fruit you like that are soft ( strawberries, blueberries, peaches, prunes, not apples but apple sauce, Then stock up on ice cubes.

A typical recipe might go like this: 1 banana, one tub of yogurt, 1/2 cup of fruit (washed and no pits) 1/2 cup of ice cream, 1 to 3 table spoons of protein powder, 1 to 3 table spoons of wheat germ, add enough milk to get it to blend, (it is better to get the fruit and liquid blended then slowly add the dry stuff.) The oatmeal can also go in dry right out of the box. Add more milk or ice cream till you like the consistency. A table spoon or two of oil gets you a little more fat (you need it) and will blend right in. Ice cubes can be added for more cold and wet. Put in the crushed multi vitamin (just one or two a day). The ideas is to play with the various items and see what you come up with that you like. remember the colder the less it hurts. Also the mix will tend to thicken in the mug as the oatmeal swells up.

At first this may not sound that good but I found I could get hundreds of calories and lots of protein in a mug that might take only a few minutes to drink. And I still make some of these even now 'cause I like them.

A few other pointers, don't forget the fiber (wheat germ, fruit and oatmeal) the amount of dairy might tend to stop you up a bit, If you get on any pain meds they will cause serious constipation! avoid them if you can or get on metamucil or something. The yogurt is good for yeast problems (besides being an excellent food), you can throw in nuts (peanuts, sunflower, walnuts, cashews,) and they will add a different flavor/texture (leave them in long enough to get chopped up) along with very good food value.

Once you get the basic idea then you can take a walk on the wild side; I took an entire Whopper with cheese from Burger King cut it up a bit, added milk and had that hamburger! It was not quite the same but suprising good and I needed to taste something regular. I also regularly blenderized scrambled eggs with milk and drank them. I tried an entire Ceasar salad also (with mixed results laugh )

Soups and stews can be made to go right down with out having to chew. There are some excellent soup stocks that you can buy that make a great flavor change, don't be afraid of aromatic spices they can help with the taste problems (AVOID HOT SPICES).

sometimes I would blenderize what ever the wife was making for supper that way it wasn't such a big job. Use your imagination and remember to keep eating even if your not hungry.

I hope this helps some and I dare you to top the Whopper meal...

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#53394 09-30-2003 07:29 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Seeing Gary`s comment in Coping/Anger, on humor,our`s is pretty dark too.....I just got Packer that says Cemetery Dance on the back, and on the front Let the Dance Begin.....needless to say, if people want to stare, I like to give them something to stare at.........another good way to lift your spirits, at least for me, is to make a radical change in your looks.......I`ve gone from brunette to punk blonde, trying for the Billy Idol look........hey, it makes me feel great. I`ve learned through all this if you want to do something, just do it !!!!! Dee

#53395 09-30-2003 10:43 AM
larry-b Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

hi Dee,

interesting that you mention hair color. a long distance friend just did blue hair.. got me thinking.. this mostly bald guy might go from brown to white over night.... i like your suggestion, 'just do it'.... well, maybe in time for the holidays.

i bet you look great blonde.

cheers,
larryb

#53396 09-30-2003 09:32 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Back in '95 when I got sober I shaved my head (not like there was a lot to shave anyway) and rather liked the "chemo" look (little knowing that someday I wouldn't have to fake it). It probably distressed some of the folks in infusion therapy - "Oh my God! -am I going to end up looking like HIM?" At least I didn't worry about my hair falling out. Only half of my goatee/moustache fell out - I don't mean half of the hair in total, I mean half on only one side of my face -and then mainly the dark hairs at that (they have since grown back I am happy to report). And then there's the "Nazi death camp survivor look". I do that one really good - It's really fun to go into ice cream stores every day and order a double scoop and watch all the stares from (overweight) people wondering how does this guy get away with this? See - there really ARE good reasons for forgoing the PEG tube.

Asking wierd questions from the doctors is fun too like "Why isn't my brain symmetrical on the MRI?" (this assuming that you have asked all of the important questions FIRST).

I have come a long way from being caught up in the statistics.

Laughing at myself is an important part of my coping therapy these days...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics