Next Thread
Print Thread
#53181 11-27-2006 04:55 AM
DM32ASA Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi to all,

Need some advice here. In Feb. I will be able to go on Medicare A & B.

I have cobra from my work. I am retired. I am not of retirement age. It is my understanding if I take the Medicare I must find a supplemental Ins. I also must get letter from cobra stating I will loose if I go to Medicare. This was for protection for something. (I forgot)

I think I get all of that. My question is I want to get good plan that will help me in case of recurrence. Plans A through J ?? I was thinking of looking at J. My husband has AARP so I have sent for their packet.

J plan has preventive care not covered by Medicare. I am thinking that most of our CT and other scans & test would fall under this. Is that Right?
Then there is the Drug plan? Not sure if I get that part. confused Some drugs are very expensive. I am not on anything right now that costs an arm and leg.

For those of you who have been through this step please feel free to add anything I should think about. :rolleyes:

For some reason I am having hard time getting this all through my head. confused (Chemo Brain)
Thanks
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
#53182 11-27-2006 05:45 AM

Diane --
Here's a start -- this link will take you to a post in the "Getting Through It Project" forum from Russell99, who says all his costs were covered by Medicare A&B. You could e-mail or PM him for more information, I expect.

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#53183 11-27-2006 09:36 AM

Hi Diane..
I was age 65 on December of 2005. I enrolled in the traditional Medicare parts A & B. Also I have a supplemental policy with Bankers Life and Casualty. This policy is for Plan G. Also, I have Humana Prescription Drug Plan. I chose the traditional Medicare plan because I can go anywhere where Medicare is accepted. There are many cheaper plans here in Texas but I could only go to the doctors and hospitals they so designated for me. The drug plan is just the basic plan offered by Humana. Although I haven't used it that much, the deductibles are considerable and change each year, depending upon how much I have paid in.

I was diagnosed in April 2006. I've had 2 laser surgeries at MDACC Houston and many scans both PET, CT, MRI, Chest, and full scopes by the surgeon at every follow up. My only out of pocket expense has been for prescriptions. I get notices every month as to what Medicare pays and then Bankers Life picks up the rest. From what I have read the scans and blood work are mostly paid for by Medicare, there sometimes is a small amount that is picked up by Bankers. These are usually amounts less than $100.00. If you think you will be using very expensive drugs, I'm sure you would want to shop around for a better RX Drug Plan. There seem to be many these days.
I'b be glad to answer any other questions you might have.
Good Luck...Russell

Age 67, SCC Larynx/Voice Box (T1-N0-M0)
Laser Supraglottic Laryngectomy 4/29/06.
#53184 11-27-2006 09:43 AM

I forgot to mention that this Banker's policy that I have is in the area of $130.00/monthly and goes up every year I have a friend who went with AARP and he seems to be very satisfied. (of course, he is not a cancer patient)...

#53185 11-27-2006 03:04 PM
DM32ASA Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank You Russell! You have been most helpful.

For some dumb reason I can not seem to get into this.... I am usually the one that does all this stuff. My brain just will not work with me lately. It is like 1+1= 3 or something?

I will keep working on it. I am sure I must be making a bigger deal out of it.
Thank you again.
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
#53186 11-27-2006 05:52 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hey, Diane- Just wanted to tell you that it isn't chemo brain you have problems with-it's the jargon you must filter through to arrive at a decision. I am on Medicare A and B [I don't have cancer-my husband does, and he is not old enough for Medicare yet] The 1st thing you need to do is thoroughly comprehend EXACTLY what Medicare A and B will cover. { You can call and ask specific questions and you need to get a copy of and read "Medicare and You 2007" .I knew that I DID NOT want the Medicare plan that restricts me to PPO's and HMO's] Next, you need to research a supplimental medical Ins. plan that will pick up the difference between what parts A and B wil pay. I have a Mutual of Omaha Medical Suppliment Ins. policy. Any of the major Ins. Cos will send you a comparison rate and coverage guide if you call them. Finally, you need to choose a Drug Suppliment Ins. policy [I chose AARP for that} and, again, they will send you a comparison sheet if asked. It is a time consuming process- I sat down at the dining room table and spread it all out and spent several days going over the info. As an alternative, you could talk to someone you really trust in the Ins. Industry and see what they recommend based on your needs. When I was deciding on all of this, I don't remember reading about "preexisting conditions or exclusions". I was looking for that since I had a stroke several years ago. Most of the major Ins. Cos are trying to get into this "game" and there are some good, competitive plans out there. Keep asking questions until you understand it [well, kinda understand it laugh ] By the way, I just heard a commentary today on National Public Radio that stated 80% of people on the new Medicare plan + supplimental ins. were extremely pleased. If I can give you any more info, I would be happy to. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#53187 11-28-2006 05:33 AM
DM32ASA Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Amy,

I did make one decision before I started and that was NO PPO or HMOs. I do not have time to stick with a list, and I live in a remote area.

Thank you so much for your help. I have been working on this for the last 3 days. I do have the 2007 book from Medicare.

I think the best time for me to work on these things is in the morning. When afternoon hits, I am on my way down as far energy.

Amy, you said that your husband is not retirement age. Neither am I. If he is on SSD for 2 years then he will go on Medicare. I am sure you already know this, but thought I would say anyway. (for others to read)

I am going to look into the dental coverage too. I think it is important to keep up the care. I did read that Medicare will cover some dental if it is for medical reasons prescribed by a Dr. I do know that could be a big MAYBE. So I want to check into that.

Thanks again Amy, if I think of anything I will let ya know.

Take care,
Diane

#53188 11-28-2006 12:19 PM

Medicare says no dice on tooth extractions prior to radiation. When I first went to MDACC they sent me to dental. I had 3-4 lower teeth that would need to come out if I was to have radiation. Next morning I get a call from business office giving me a price for these extractions and informing me of medicare policy regarding dental. Turned out that radiation was not recommended so I never did any type of follow up on this. If I'm not mistaken, they also mentioned that any type of replacement dentures for these extractions also not covered.
Just for your information of course!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23