Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eli Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, has anybody had chemotherapy and had their tongue blow up like a balloon and face swell also. Also, if you had chemo for specifically Base of Tongue tumors, what did you take, was it effective etc.. Please advise . Currently my sister is taking 5-fu and Cisplatin. Thank you

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Eli.........I had both 5fu and cisplatin for my tongue cancer. Neither my tongue or cheeks swelled up, but my lips did, and were at the very least almost triple in size. I thought they might burst..LOL They also turned kind of a deep purple, and I had a lot of open pus filled sores in and all around my oral cavity, lips included. My oncologist was more worried about the ringing in my ears, and the numbness in both my fingertips and toes. I still have a bit of numbness in my toes, but otherwise everything else healed well. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
Eli Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Donna, thank you for responding. Do you mind if I ask where your cancer was located? Was it base of tongue? My sister was never offered chemo when she was first diagnosed, only radiation and surgery. She had a small tumor on her tongue inside her mouth and 2 of her lymphnodes tested positive. We are wondering why she was never offered chemo in conjunction with the radiation when she was first diagnosed, especially since the cancer has returned as a base of tongue tumor.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23