Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52613 05-14-2002 03:53 AM
molly Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I must first tell Brooke how sorry I am forthe loss of your mother and I agree with the importance of your message of getting
scans and xrays. My sister has cancer of the tonsils and is 2 weeks out of radiation. She is so depressed right now because of feeling
worse than ever and she says she is just so wanting her body to work like it should again. It seems that if it is not one thing it is another.
She is taking LORTAB. She is having a problem with a feeling of having something in her intestines but not being able to eliminate. Her oncologist has given her a stoll softner
that she only throws up. She did have herfeeding nose tube taken out yesterday and had gained one pound. For the last 2 days she has had severe stomach cramping that just doesn't let up.
I would think her oncologist would order some tests to make sure this stuff hasn't spread, but he hasn't. Has anyone else had the severe
stomach cramping and what did you do. Your advice is always greatly appreciated. confused

#52614 05-14-2002 04:24 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Molly.......I remember thinking that if I could just get through chemo and radition that I'd automatically begin to feel better. Unfortunately that was not the case. Chemo and radiation continue to do their work long after the actual treatment has stopped and that is one of the reasons your sister is still not feeling well. That, and just the fact that treatment for Oral Cancers are just down right tough to get through, and the side effects horrible. I had a host of ailments during and after treatment and stomach problems were defiantely one of them. However, anything that is giving your sister that much discomfort should probably be looked at by her doctors. It seems I was always calling one of my Doctors for something or another and I continued to do so until after about two months after treatment was completed. I think it was then that my ENT told me in a kind and gentle way not to bug him for every little thing---my point being--- don't feel bad about bugging the doctors when your sister is feeling so poorly. I constantly needed reassurance; I needed to hear from the Doctor that the way I was feeling was "normal" and if something wasn't normal, he was the first to hear about it. LOL I hope your sisters recovery begins moving along at a little faster clip! Keep us posted and know you're both in our thoughts! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#52615 05-14-2002 06:58 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Molly, I agree with Donna. It has not yet been two years and I still question ever little thing that is wrong with me. Tell your sister to hang in there, it will get better. Try to get her to eat some very bland, very soft foods, creamed soups work well too. My thoughts are with both of you. Please keep us posted as to her progress. Take care Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users