Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52598 05-11-2002 01:59 PM
molly Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My sister just had a nose feeding tube put in over a week ago. She is on fluids only. She has a difficult time going to the bathroom (days) and then is so constipated. She says she strains and gets a little bit of blood due to the straining, and severe cramping. This afternoon she tried an enema and it made it ten times worse. She was in severe cramping pain. Has anyone had this experience and what did you do? She also completed 6 weeks of radiation twice a day on 4/26/02 for cancer of tonsils. Please help with any suggestions.
confused

#52599 05-11-2002 02:33 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Molly, when I was in the hospital I was getting iron three times a day because of blood loss during the long surgery. This is very constipating so I was also given a stool softener called Colace, a liquid that went right in the PEG. Talk to her doctor and get something like this, which works wonderfully. This, at least, is an easy problem to fix. You might try someplace like RiteAid and see what is available OTC. I am sure a pharmacist will be able to advise you.

#52600 05-11-2002 04:20 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My mother experienced the same problem, too. Although Colase didn't work for her, we got her Senacot in liquid form and put it right in her feeding tube. Are you on pain killers? I know one terrible side effect from narcotics of any kind is constipation. Whatever you do, you need to make sure you get something for relief..I don't want to scare you, but as you know it is extremely uncomfortable. My mom got to the point where nothing worked in the beginning, and my aunt ( a nurse, thankfully) had to come over and physically aid my mother. I don't want to get too graphic, but I'm sure you can imagine how awful it was. Try the Colase, or senacot, or whatever your doc reccommends. Isn't it terrible.....that on top of cancer, all these miserable side effects come along with it? Try to hang in there....it WILL get better! Good luck!
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#52601 05-11-2002 04:22 PM

I'm sorry...I just re-read your post. I did mean to refer to your sister. Sorry...good luck to both of you.

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#52602 05-11-2002 04:39 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

As if the treatments aren't bad enough... Constipation is a common side effect of many of the things that happen after treatment ends. Strong pain killers cause constipation, the severe change in diet to liquids like Ensure etc. cause it, the lack of physical activity contributes to it, antibiotic therapy can contribute to it. All things that the months after radiation contain. Senecot worked for me, but it had rather..how shall I put it?...INTENSE, consequenses. I finally found that over the counter stool softeners from the drug store worked well. Also Ensure makes a formula that is high in fiber, and that helps, just make sure that you cut it 50/50 with water before you put it though the tube.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#52603 05-12-2002 02:57 AM
vb Offline

Brooke is right. My mother had a similiar experience to what she talks about. Luckily for my mother, my sister is a nurse as well and was able to do the "hands on" that my mother required when she became impacted. The colace worked for my mother and she is now very concerned that this not occur again. It was very uncomfortable for her and this memory still burns bright despite all she has been through.

Vince
#52604 05-12-2002 05:58 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Besides all the above remedies for constipation, my oncology nursed suggested that I "drink" from my tube at least 10 LARGE glasses of water a day to help with both my hydration problem and constipation. Seems like I spent a fair amount of time on the pot, but it kept me out of the hospital and for that I was always grateful. Boy, if it ain't one thing, its another....seems like that anyway when you're going through treatment. After I finished treatment I remember feeling worse than ever when I thought I should be feeling better. I hope your sister begins to feel better soon; she will, but it does take time. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#52605 05-12-2002 07:31 PM

Molly, Its important that your sister deal with this problem as soon as possible. I went from being uncomfortable and rare painful stools to not going at all and becoming impacted. I was in such pain and so impacted that the doctors and nurses weren't able to manually stimulate things. I was having surgery to put in the feeding tube and they took care of the problem while I was under anesthesia. To prevent future problems my doctor suggested milk of magnesia on a regular basis - I used as small an amount as I could. The problem decreased as I eventually got back to "real" food. As you have already read this is not an uncommon problem.
ilene

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23