Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52558 05-04-2002 04:21 PM
molly Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

My sister has cancer of tonsils and just completed radiation twice a day for 6 weeks on 4/25/02. We all thought she would be getting much better right away, but it seems she has had her worst week after radiation stopped. She had to have a feeding tube inserted through her nose yesterday and once again we thought she would feel much better. It seems that after she has ENSURE or BOOST that it's minutes later her stomach starts cramping badly and she either will have diareah or vomit. It's only been a little over 24 hours since the tube has been inserted. My question is wanting to know is this normal, when will it get easier for her to hold food and meds down with out the nauseau, and also when is intervention needed. I'm so afraid of her getting dehydrated. Any suggestions?

#52559 05-04-2002 04:34 PM
molly Offline OP
OP Offline

P.S.
Just wanted to add that we are giving her the BOOST and ENSURE at room temperature, and now in small amounts (half a can) at a time hoping this will help. She is still very naseous. Any suggestions, advice or" I've been there too." would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#52560 05-04-2002 05:36 PM

Honey, I am writing you because I had a feeding tube. But mine was in my stomach. I have had a tube in my nose too. The main thing you need to try is giving small amounts and then waiting to see how she handles it. You are putting too much on her stomach at a time. Her stomach could have shrunk in size. I am a nurse so I do know some things about NG Tubes. Try giving her something for her nausea before you give her the Ensure.
Her Dr. should have prescribed something for the nausea by now. If she can't take it orally give her a rectal antiemetic. They work. Had my feeding tube out last month. Things right now are getting better for me but it took sometime.
When I first got the feeding tube I didn't think I would ever get any better. Talk with the nutrionist that should be on her case. They can give you suggestions too. Prayers are with you.

Deborah A. Smith
#52561 05-04-2002 06:21 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Debbie is right. One of the things that would always trigger cramps and nausea for me was if my food drip was running too fast. I finally figured out that my two cans of Ensure plus 30% water which I poured in (ate) several times a day was a s-l-o-w process. About an hour to 90 min. worked about right. If I did not cut the Ensure with water, it caused problems (and you need the water anyway), and if I got in a hurry it caused problems. Being an impatient sort by nature, I found that I was better off watching TV while eating at this slow rate....it kept me occupied and not concerned with getting the bag off and doing anything else. Dilute it and slow it down.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#52562 05-05-2002 03:16 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

The others are right.....what you need to do is make sure your sister lets it drip in very slow and try to keep her mind busy while eating. TV is probably the very best distraction at feeding time. Also, another thing that maybe wasn't mentioned.....make sure your sister does not lay down for at least an hour after the feeding is completed. That, also, can cause severe nausea, not to mention create other problems. Compazine, if she can take it works great for nausea. Give it time, and take it slow. It's a hard thing to get used to, I know, but soon it will become second nature, and won't seem so bad. Good luck, and many prayers to you and your sister!
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#52563 05-05-2002 03:32 AM

I will echo the previous comments. I had the NG tube after one of my surgeries and I had to keep the rate VERY SLOW or I became ill. I never was able to consume anywhere near the quantities that the nutritionist said I needed to keep from losing weight. My stomach just couldn't handle it. After radiation I ended up with a tube in my stomach and had the same issues. If I took in too much or too fast I became sick. With that tube I used to take my feedings at night using a pump to regulate flow. That way I could "eat" for several hours while sleeping.

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.
#52564 05-05-2002 11:13 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Molly, Even though your sister has completed the actual radiation treatments, radiation is still doing it's work and will for a few more weeks. Along with the other tips, someone on the board suggested burning a peppermint candle for nausea--I don't know if it works, but if your sis is feeling that bad, it sure can't hurt to try it. I know it might be hard for you to believe right now, but your sister will continue to get better. Keep us posted on her progress. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#52565 05-05-2002 11:21 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ilene, I hear you loud and clear about the quantity. The 20-something nutrititionist who told me what I needed had no idea what she was talking about. I actually GAINED weight in the hospital from PEG feedings! I tried to argue, but just gave up, knowing I could adjust quantity at home.

As far as speed, I have raised the bag very high and go at the fastest drip, but I make sure I am sitting straight up, as at a table, and ALSO, that I run the "food" right to the end of the line before I plug it in, thereby eliminating air, which makes me sick. And Brian is right about the water. I take a couple of big "drinks" right before, and also after. Thus far no nausea, knock on wood.

Following up Donna's peppermint candle, I just read an article written by a person who suffered persistent nausea until he put a drop of peppermint oil in each nostril, which completely eliminated the problem.

#52566 06-18-2002 03:53 PM

Interesting that most of you mention using Boost and Ensure in your feeding tubes. I used Promote with Fiber. I would run 2 cans (8 oz each) thru the bag into the stomach tube in 30 minutes. Never did get nausated from it. Thank goodness. And the best thing was that the local hospital brought the feeding tube bags and cans of food directly to my house (a month's supply at a time). My insurance picked up the cost.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23