Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#52519 04-26-2002 05:16 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

When dealing with medical or dental professionals it is their obligation to answer your questions about all things completely. If you do not understand, it is the patient

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#52520 04-29-2002 11:50 AM
Susan Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian & Midwest gal......I took both of your's advice and purchased the Biotene mouthwash. My Mom just started using it, and it definately has made a difference in keeping her mouth clean. She is still "hacking" alot of thick saliva up, but that will just take time I'm told. And, Brian...I spoke with her Dr. about the suction machine & he said exactly what you said might be the reason why. Her mouth is too sore & tendor & the machine, which for now, would not be good for her. Her mucous comes from down in her throat where you can't put the suction wand.

Thanks for your advice. She has only 3 more radiation treatments to go & she is done. Her prognosis is good. Her tongue responded remarkably well to the treatment. I know it will take months for her to recover to where she feels more like herself. She is very sick right now. Has some good days, but not too many. It's a sad thing to watch, but we are encouraged & I will be there for her as long as it takes.

Susan

Susan
#52521 05-06-2002 06:23 AM

My husband just had radical chemo and radiation treatments for tonsil cancer. He went through terrible mucous. It is almost 2 months since this part of his treatment ended. About 2 weeks ago he had surgery and intra operative radiation. He still has mucous, but it is much less than when he was having chemo and radiation. We did not get a suction machine until after the surgery. My husband used it for a little while and stopped when our visiting nurse told him suction machines can sometimes make the mucus worse and your mouth more dry.

ratchet
#52522 05-06-2002 11:48 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Susan.....hope you are feeling better and the mucus is under control. My mom had a suction machine (2 actually, one was portable for in the car). She got it after her surgeries, and I must say....relied on it big time. She also had a trach, so we were able to help suction in her throat through the trach if she had trouble coughing it up. I guess each person is different, but I found the machine to be a major blessing! Good luck.
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#52523 05-16-2002 05:11 PM

Hello Brian and Donna, Thank you for the information on the thick saliva problem. My 6 weeks of radiation treatments ended 4 weeks ago and I am still having problems with thick saliva. I am going to try the Biotene mouthwash. I have a few other questions if you don't mind. I am having trouble swallowing liquids & solids. It feels like I have a big lump in my throat. My surgeon & oncologist stated that it is scar tissue in my throat that was cause by the radiation treatments and will take lots of time to heal. Any idea what "lots of time" is? I figured I would be up and running in 2 weeks (naive?). Any information on the recovery time would be very helpful (mentally).
Thanks, Victor

#52524 05-21-2002 06:15 AM

Hi, I am going to go & pick up some of the Biotene mouthwash on my way home for my mom. She has had so many problems with the thick saliva & sore mouth. Thanks for the suggestion!! To Malibu55. We were told the effects of radiation could take up to a year to get better. It must depend on the patients tolerance. My mom went through 6 weeks of radiation. She just finished 2 weeks ago & she is still very ill & miserable. It takes time & patience. As for mentally, she had to go to a psychiatrist. She cannot handle the depression anymore. It has been 5 months since her radical neck dissection. She has been through hell & back. I hope you have a good family & friend support system. That always helps. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

I have learned that life is too short. Spend as much time as you can with you family & loved ones. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
#52525 05-21-2002 06:58 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Victor............Some how I missed your post so I am sorry about the delay in getting back to you with your questions. I'm glad your going to try the Biotene Mouthwash. I found both the tooth paste and mouthwash to be very helpful in combating the thick/ropey saliva. I also used a water pic and that was very soothing on my achey mouth. Many have used a suction machine and while the machine never really helped me, others swear by it. I guess whatever you can get to work for you is the best answer. You'll have to have a written prescription for the suction machine though.

If you're still having trouble swallowing and don't feel comfortable with the scar tissue theory it might be helpful for you to ask for a barriam swallow. I was having the same sort of problems with swallowing (still do sometimes) and didn't feel comfortable with the scar tissue theory, so I requested the barrium swallow. It is a simple procedure; just a matter of drinking a little barrium while having an xray done on the throat at the same time. My swallowing issue turned out to be exactly what the Doctor said it would be--scar tissue. Still, I was glad to know without a doubt it was nothing else.

As for healing and really starting to feel good, everyone is different. I think Brian says about one month of healing for every week of radiation and that sounds about right. For me, at the six month mark I was feeling much better, although still not my old self. It took over a year before I really began feeling good and not so fatigued. However, fatigue still seems to be an issue for me and I do not have the same energy level I once had. As I've said before though, that could just be old age creeping up on me.

The worst for you is over and now you will begin to heal. Be patient, because it does take time. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#52526 06-17-2002 08:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info on the accumulation of mucus. I went to this site especially for an answer to this. I am in my fourth (out of five) week of radiation, I am also having chemo once a week for four weeks. I have been using the Biotine mouthwash - but apparently not on a regular enough basis - I am going to try it regulary. Thanks to all who added some information to this problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics