Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51086 01-08-2005 11:57 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

This seems like such a trivial issue. The first time I got the nose scope, they actually were able to get it down okay. The second time, it hurt like hell and the third time this week, I don't know if they got it down all the way. I'm sure you all are aware of the procedure. First they spray down the nostril. To me, it's like someone is shooting hairspray up your nose.

They keep telling me to relax, and I feel like a bad patient because it practically sends me out of the chair as it bounces down my head. It feels like the scope is bouncing on little pieces of cartilige and it hurts like almighty hell. I have a real easy gag reflex, which is one of the main reasons I was never much of a drinker. Obviously since they keep wanting to scope me this way, it's necessary for me to get use to it.

Do you all have any suggestions on how I can make this easier on myself so this is less of an ordeal? And is this a procedure we need to continuously have?

Jen

#51087 01-08-2005 02:35 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jen, I still have that experience fresh in my mind. The substance the nurse sprayed into the nostril actually helped to ease the pain when the actual scoping was done. Maybe I expected something very painful when I had the first scope, it turned out that it was not so bad and when the doctor said that it sounded all right, I felt relieved and forgot the pain instantly. Then each time, I shed a bit of tears for two seconds and held my hand tight. I kept on telling myself to relax and soon it would be over. I remember having this nose scoping for about 4 to 5 times. You are right you need to learn to get used to it, whether you like it or not (noone likes it for sure). I didn't have any more of this when I was about 3 to 4 months post treatment when my oncologist felt sure that the area was no more of a concern.
Be relaxed, the only advice I can give you now.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#51088 01-08-2005 02:49 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hello Jen

The first time I had it I said never again but of course I have had many since then and am able to relax more now. I know it won't take long and to hear the doc say "everything looks fine Helen" makes it worthwhile. I recall someone describing it as 'the scope and choke routine' on this site.

I guess that you are finding it difficult because you are suffering pain and discomfort from the tumours. Make sure you tell the doc that you find it painful. They may be able to increase the level of pain control in the spray.

I am glad that you are finding that your fear of cancer is decreasing as your knowledge increases. I believe that a positive attitude is of great benefit. I admire how quickly you have got to the business end of having cancer, acceptance is a big step.

Love and light from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#51089 01-08-2005 06:39 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Maybe it's psychological too. Back when we were children we were taught NEVER to put anything up our noses. When I was two and being cute at my grandmother's I stuck a cashew in my nose and had to be rushed to the ER. I remember it being a rather painful and unfortunate experience.

The family joke was always "Don't put any beans up your nose" everytime they left us kids alone.

Mentally, I know objects don't BELONG in my nasal cavity. I've long held a phobia about something crushing my windpipe. Don't know where that comes from, but for most of my life I don't wear tight necklaces or even tight necklines.

It's like one of my instincts to fight off the invasion of something like that... lol. What can I say? It's all I can do to not jump up out of the chair and start ripping it out...

Maybe I can request a really good pill of somekind to help me relax enough to quell my instincts.

Jen (who isn't putting any beans up her nose)

#51090 01-09-2005 12:20 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Jen,

I also dread the nose scope...the last one I had wasn't very pleasant and it was bigger than the one my ENT uses...I kept going backwards as the doc kept poking, until I'd almost reached the wall... I felt like going through into the next room, and the next, with him chasing me! As for the spray, one doc poked too soon - the anaesthetic kicked into action when I had left the room frown

An aside...yonks ago when I was in an Amsterdam hospital with pleurisy, I couldn't cough up my phlegm, so at around 4 am the nurses would waken me with a tube up the nose down to my stomach to collect some phlegm. Some rude awakening or what?

Another scope due soon... frown

Cheers!

Tizz wink

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
#51091 01-09-2005 02:32 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Jen: I don't have oral cancer, my brother does. I am what we call, in my field (mental health), a 'family member,' so I have not had to experience what you have. However, your post struck a cord with me. I had a scope put up my nose once, for a sinus evaluation, and I have never forgotten it. It was horrible. If I had to go thru another one, I would ask for meds. My thought is that if I had to have another nose scope, I would request the meds (I think they use valium, but I don't know for sure). I don't know if this is possible for a nose scope, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Just a suggestion! - Candace

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
#51092 01-09-2005 04:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jen, I have had the scope every time I went to the ENT. I am now on a every 3 month schedule. It is not pleasant, but something that has to be gotten through. Just try to ignore it as much as possible. I also have a bad gag reflex and when they check my tonsils, or rather where my tonsils used to be, to try to feel if another tumor is developing, they do it digitally. By sticking their finger all the way into the tonsil bed. That's lots worse than the scope to me. Hope it gets easier for you.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#51093 01-10-2005 08:52 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

just being iquisitive?spelling, but is this the same scope that is used looking at voice box e.t.c.?

#51094 01-11-2005 09:58 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jen,

Okay, now I have to fess up. When I was 5 I used to love red hots. The analytical mind I was developing found that the average size of a red hot was precisely the same size as my nostril. I used to sit around and try to put one in my nose all the time. My father was always telling me to stop or I would get one stuck. One time I was sticking one up my nose and he walked in so instead of getting caught, I just pushed it farther up. Well, a few days later I had to go the doctor because my nose started swelling up. You can imagine how surprised everyone was when the doctor stuck an instrument up my nose and plucked out the red hot. Of course, I denied any knowledge of how it got there! eek

A friend of mine in college claimed he got a watermellon seed caught in his nose and it actually sprouted. I wanted to not believe him so bad but when you saw how big his nose was, you could almost believe his story!

One one of my nose scope visits, they squirted some Lidocaine ointment in there instead of the spray stuff. The first tube was dried at the end and the nurse kept squeezing it while the tube was pointed at my face. I finally told her to point that obnoxious thing somewhere else just as it spurted about 6 feet and hit the ceiling! We still laugh whenever I visit the radiation oncologist.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#51095 01-11-2005 12:53 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ed, that's hysterical!
My mom took my younger brother to the doctor when he was like 7. She took him for a horrible odor that she thought was his breath. Seems he had rolled up a piece of bread, stuffed it up his nose, and it had started molding. So disgusting. I can proudly say that none of my kids have stuffed any foreign objects up their noses...........I've dealt with severed fingers, infected chicken pox, and plenty of broken bones and stitches but no nose play.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics