Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Or I found him at last?

I posted several months ago about my brother having throat cancer. He had/has many issues (mental health being one) Well since the last post - he disappeared (literally) it wasn't til a couple of weeks ago that I heard from him. He was in the back woods in Maine living with some guy named Joe.

Knowing he would never come out and ask me for help - I took his postcard as a "come and get me" plea. I did of course, and was devastated to see a very thin, grey skinned, weak man - who was formerly my brother. The good news is he is back in civilization. The bad news is swallowing is extremely difficult and he has decided to let "nature" take its course.

Most frustrating for me is his refusal to go to the Doctor.

I have no idea what to expect. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what I can expect with untreated throat cancer?

He did go through a full course of radiation but other than that I have no idea what stage or what type of cancer.

Thanks

LJ confused

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Oh, my, LJ. You have quite a predicament unless his love and concern for your well-being could be used as leverage to get him to see someone.
I'd find the best doctor available (at Johns Hopkins, perhaps?) and make the appointment and let him know how much YOU need him to go - if only so you'll now how to care for him.
That's the best idea I have...........and he may be too stubborn and self-centered to care, but I'd think it would be worth a shot.
I surely wish you luck.
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello LJ,

Keep pushing, If he sent you the postcard he can also be persuaded to seek medical treatment. Most of us go thru all the treatment and follow-ups for are family's. He is no different than us.
I wish you luck in seeking him treatment.

Your Friend, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear LJ
Hijack him.. I had to do that with my dad when he was refusing treatment for another illness.
Make the appointment ...tell him you are going wherever. Try to convince him he does not have an automatic death sentence because of cancer.
Desperate times /desperate measures. He is a lucky man to have someone who cares this much.
Take care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23