Next Thread
Print Thread
#50640 11-21-2003 06:27 PM
patty G Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello Everyone,

I just got home from the hospital after being there for 17 hours and I'm still unable to wind down fo I figured I would post now while everything is still fresh.

A few good things happened and some very peculiar.
The surgeon found first of all that the cancer in his mouth was not as extensive as he thought.He removed the tumor,the left side of his tongue and some of the back of his throat.Now,this is where is gets weird.The cancer in his neck was actually more than he expected.In the doctors own words he removed a great deal of the left side of his neck.He called this an extensive radical neck resection.What he thinks he found in his neck are melanoma mets and lesions but he believes that he has some carcinoma too.He said this is quite unusual but he'll have to wait for the path results to say if he is right.Has anyone ever heard of having 2 kinds of cancer in one area?

The surgeon says that he got all the cancer,and he would not need plastic surgery.The bad thing is the trach tube is going to stay in for months,due to the damage in his neck.I guess I'll find out more in the coming days.The original prognosis was so different but he said that he still feels that he got it all.He has to stay in the critical care unit until tomorrow then he'll go to icu for a day or so.He still feels he'll remain in the hospital for 2 weeks.I asked him about his future and he wants to wait for the path results but feels that the mets in his neck area were extreme.He now feels that somewhere in his neck was the point of origin and it metastized to his tongue.I was so confused because we've been told all along it was the other way around.He said he won't able to talk for months and when he starts to he'll need extensive help with eating and swallowing.We were all very tired so I hope to get more answers tomorrow.

I'd like to know if any of you have heard of this thing with 2 types of cancer at one time before.It seems really rare.Well I'm officially wiped out now so I'm heading for bed.Thank you all for your prayers and wishes for him.

Patty

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004
#50641 11-22-2003 01:04 PM
patty G Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello ,

I'm pretty well rested now so I want to correct some of the "boo boos" I made in my original post.First of course he did not have a neck recection but a dissection.I don't know how I got that one mixed up.I got to speak at length with his surgeon and even though the results were better than anticipated it seems his prognosis is still the same.The surgeon pretty much guarenteed recurrence.I don't see how he can say that but he is the one that went to medical school.He will remain with the trach tube for 6 weeks.I thought I would feel better once he had the surgery but I just feel impending doom.Does this feeling ever go away?I would appreciate any input that any of you have.

Patty

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004
#50642 11-22-2003 03:43 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Patty,

My mom's situation is different (she could never have the surgery just rad and chemo) but I know what you mean about impending doom - I just want you to know that no matter what the docs say everyone is different - If you've been reading these posts for awhile you'll see how many people do better than ever expected - Keep hope always - It has been so difficult for my family and for me (I'm the only child and very close to my mom) There are days I feel my mom can bounce back from anything - We almost lost her the week of October 6th (she was on a respirator!) Now she is home and so far holding her own - No food by mouth since March (PEG is a lifesaver) Life is so different but we are together and dealing with it as best we can - Please hang in there and we are here for you - Take care and get sleep whenever you can - Everything is a little easier when you are rested. wink

Sue

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics