Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50558 10-18-2003 04:39 PM
didier Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My Mom is just about four weeks post therapy and all signs indicate she's coming along well. I'm looking forward to her follow-up visit with the ENT and having a CT scan next week. I am grateful for her progress, but I have been experiencing a lot of anger lately. I am angry at the docs who told her the sore in her mouth was nothing to be concerned with. Although it's been months since this all took place, it has put me in a very ugly state of mind. I don't know why I am having this delayed reaction. Perhaps because I've had a little time to process everything that has taken place. I can't stand being around myself, and I'm not pleasant to be around either. I have no patience and I just want to be alone. I feel so bad for my wife because I have been in such a foul mood that I have been retreating from her and everyone else. The poor woman had a miscarriage a week ago and I've done my best to be there for her, but it's not easy. I feel so overwhelmed emotionally with from Mom's cancer, trying to have a child and business being kind of crummy lately, I just want to hide from everyone for about a week so that I can sleep and think. It would be nice to get away from phones and worries...just me and my thoughts. I need to digest whats taken place over the past ten months so that I can straighten out my head, get rid of this anger and learn to live with the cards that have been dealt. This year is really nothing but a blur to me. I look back on it and I feel as though I've been watching someone else's life. It's strange.

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#50559 10-19-2003 06:40 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi
Take care you are on a well known slippery slope called depression! You are not the first and you wont be the last, look back a couple of weeks to a post of mine! GET HELP NOW! This is an order from me to you sent purely as a friend, I go back docs tomorrow, I still need more help, dont be to proud to ask, once in the hole just gets deeper. Take care I will be rooting for you
All my best wishes
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#50560 10-19-2003 12:38 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Helen is right, you are describing some of the classic symptoms of clinical depression. This is more than feeling bad, but actually a physical condition that can affect your mood. I would take the time to visit a doctor for a talk and perhaps an Rx for a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I can tell you this is a common occurrence in caregivers as well as patients. It is not something that you can reason your way through...believe me I thought I could and was not able to. The medication made it possible for me to get back on track in relatively short time; about 3 weeks...I kept taking it for about 6 months and then went off of it. You might consider this as something worth looking into. Remember that only a MD or a psychiatrist can prescribe medications not a psychologist

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#50561 10-19-2003 12:59 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brian is right that depression is common among both patients and caregivers. It knocks at your door without your noticing it because you won't believe yourself a candidate of emotional illness. I was admitted to hospital for treatment of severe depression in April last year and discharged after about 4 weeks. I am still on anti-depressant with a gradual cut in dose. Even though I feel myself very normal emotionally, the psychiatrist refuses to cut off the medication fearing that depression will recur. He has a schedule on treating me and I have full trust on him. Depression is sometimes more scary than cancer.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#50562 10-19-2003 03:52 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I have to agree....it sounds like you are dealing with the same feelings that I had (still have to a point). Please see your doctor. There are things to help you through this. Depression is not "just in your head". It's not a bad point of view.....weakness in character....if anything, I believe it is a characteristic of a sensitive soul, who is on temporary overload.
Bless,
Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#50563 10-21-2003 04:14 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi didier:

I want to applaud you for having the courage to share the raw painful feelings you are having with us here. Acknowledging that you feel overwhelmed and angry is a huge step in the process of coping and you seem on your way. Feel free to continue to use this forum as a safe haven to talk about youe feelings since they are familiar to most of us and you aren't alone.

Seeking some professional support seems like a logical and wise thing to do given the depth of your feelings and the other multiple life issues you are dealing with currently. A good therapist can "hold the bag" while you fill it with emotional tools that will serve you well throughout this process. Luckily, I have an oustanding therapist and mentor who helped make the difference coping with Dave's cancer diagnosis and recovery process.

With good wishes,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#50564 10-21-2003 04:14 AM

Hi didier:

I want to applaud you for having the courage to share the raw painful feelings you are having with us here. Acknowledging that you feel overwhelmed and angry is a huge step in the process of coping and you seem on your way. Feel free to continue to use this forum as a safe haven to talk about youe feelings since they are familiar to most of us and you aren't alone.

Seeking some professional support seems like a logical and wise thing to do given the depth of your feelings and the other multiple life issues you are dealing with currently. A good therapist can "hold the bag" while you fill it with emotional tools that will serve you well throughout this process. Luckily, I have an oustanding therapist and mentor who helped make the difference coping with Dave's cancer diagnosis and recovery process.

With good wishes,

Kim

kcdc
#50565 10-24-2003 08:49 AM

You want to talk about anger and depression..........Frank is in Boston and I`m in Maine.....the radiation mask has brought back his PTSD, he`s scared to death, if you`ve ever seen someone with a flashback you know what I`m talking about.........all I`ve done is cry all day and figure out where I can board our elderly dog......if I leave her it will kill her...........so what the hell do I do..........5 years of this shit starts to wear on your soul

#50566 10-24-2003 09:39 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Packer66,

I know from your past posts you have inner strength. It seems right now you need to lean on someone who I hope is close enough for you to reach out to. Maybe you can find a place to stay near Frank that will allow your dog. some motels do. What ever you decide to do will be the right choice I'm sure. I wish you both the best. Hang in there.
Diane

#50567 10-24-2003 09:39 AM

Hey Dee:

When your soul is weary there are others to help carry the burden, I have been amazed by the number of OCF family members who have contacted me to send cards to Frank and wish him well. He is well loved here-and so are you.

Keep venting-there a many to listen and our collective heart is big.

Please indicate if it is okay to post Frank's last name (or do so yourself so cards can be sent directly to him)

Hang in there,

Kim

kcdc
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260