Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50184 03-23-2007 10:26 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The American Academy of General Dentistry has recently added something to their web site that is a great tool. OCF looked at buying this but was unable to afford the service to add to our web site. But that does not mean that we cannot use it from someone else's...

This link will take you to something called CapWiz which is a zip code driven search engine that allows you to get current contact information for people that you may wish to contact in government, or for us more importantly in the media. http://capwiz.com/agd/home/

I want to contact the medical editor for the LA Times with a story that I think is important, say viruses and oral cancer. I put my zip code in the guide to the media box, sort down the list till I find the LA Times, up comes a list of all their editors and contact information, and at the bottom of the list you can sort by departments - for us, health news, and when I click on that. Under staff, I can click on a name to send an email directly to their medical editor David Olmos. Too simple.

This is a very expensive piece of software that we looked at for the OCF site last year. Too expensive. But there is no reason that you cannot use the AGD site to get to this service to find the right people to get the word out about oral cancer, your own personal story, an oral cancer event, or more. Since we have had people here that are willing to make the contact and write the letters, here is a tool to see that they end up in the right hands. Once you have writeen it, if it is of national interest there is no reason that you can't send it to papers etc. outside your area, by selecting new zip codes to get the contacts.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#50185 03-23-2007 10:46 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Be advised: The LA Times list is several years out of date.

Many of those on it either have different assignments now or are no longer at the paper (including David Olmos, who left in 2005). I expect this is true for the lists of other publications, particularly given the staff cuts that have occurred at papers across the country in recent years.

-- Leslie (who works at the LA Times)

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#50186 03-23-2007 10:53 AM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

And the people that want to sell us this service for $6,000 per year are telling me that it is updated quarterly... thanks for this insight. I

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#50187 03-23-2007 01:04 PM

Most newspaper websites have a staff list somewhere -- you might have to go into the site map to find it. It may be hidden under "member services" or "media center" if it's not immediately apparent. In addition, many papers are now putting e-mail addresses at the end of articles or, in the online version, as links from bylines. You can always try a Google search on, for example, Los Angeles Times staff or Washington Post staff list or similar.

Alternatively, some papers, like the NY Times, have an e-mail address where you can send a blank e-mail and get an automated reply with the e-mail addresses of staff members who have chosen to make theirs public (the NYT address is staff@nytimes.com).

Most reporters and editors hate mass e-mails. Make sure the reporters or editors you want to contact actually cover health or medical issues. A more personal approach will likely have far better success; when you contact reporters or their editors, show that you have some knowledge of the publication -- if you subscribe, say so -- and try to provide a reason the reporter should write (or the editor should assign) a story NOW about the topic you'e suggesting: Is there new information in a scientific journal about the HPV link? Has a local dentist begun using the VelScope? Is a fund-raising event (like the Chicago walk) coming up? etc. etc.

Don't be concerned if you can only get a suburban paper to bite on the story; reporters for the big dailies read those papers and often will pick up on something that looks interesting.

-- Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#50188 03-23-2007 01:28 PM

Also, be sure to mention the Oral Cancer Foundation as a resource for reporters and editors, and give them the website address. When I suggested to the health policy reporter in our bureau (who used to cover homeland security) that he should take a look how the TSA restrictions on taking water on airplanes were affecting people with dry-mouth issues -- an idea I got from messages here -- he got in touch with Brian and got permission to post here. Several contacts he made on these boards ended up in his article, and their voices gave the issue far more immediacy and impact.

-- Leslie

Leslie

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics