Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50140 12-19-2006 07:10 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

I was asked to write an opinion piece for a dental magazine this month, and it will come out sometime in Jan 07 as a lead in story to some of the real science articles being featured in that magazine. I am posting it here so that some of you who are interested in writing to people, papers, TV reporters, etc. have knowledge about some issues to speak to in those attempts. Pleaese note that in the first paragraph I have changed the names and facts related to a couple people so that they are not recognizable, and that is really a non issue to the purpose of the article. I have also put this up as my first draft since the final version which the magazine has is slightly different and they would be really unhappy with me if I self published on the web the article before it appeared in their magazine. But since a few people are attempting to contact magazines, I wanted anyone who was involved in outreach to have some core ideas to work from. Please do not copy/use any of this directly at this point in time, as I said it is going to be published elsewhere and that has to happen before it can legally be used in any other form.

Early Oral Cancer Discovery: Technique or Technology? A personal opinion.
Brian Hill, Founder and Executive Director, The Oral Cancer Foundation
[email protected]

Kelly was 33 years old. Mother of two daughters, college graduate, and now a stay at home mom, she exercised regularly, loved the outdoors, and never had an association with tobacco or alcohol in her lifetime. People commented on her radiant smile, and she was a regular at her dentist

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#50141 12-20-2006 01:31 AM

Brian,

Great article!

What is the name of the magazine? If I don't already get it in the office, I want to make sure I get a copy.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#50142 12-20-2006 10:09 AM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

As soon as I know that it has gone to print I'll reveal it, (since as I said I am not supposed to be putting it out anywhere before hand and this is a bit of cheating here that I don't think they will see.) When it comes out I'll get you a copy if you are currently not getting the journal. The entire issue is devoted to adjunctive devices, and heavily covers some of the more powerful aspects of fluorescence loss which is in recent articles providing information that we were unaware of in the past. For instance loss of herterozygocity which heavily correlates to cellular conversion to malignancy is something that is extremely important in surgical procedures for removal of disease, and not just in the oral environment. But as soon as it is out I

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#50143 12-20-2006 02:58 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Brian, Great article!! I've been through all of this, and the article taught me alot I didn't know. You are definetly a true leader and crusader for all of us. I thank you so much.

Dx3/20/06 SCC,BOT,1N Tx:5cycles Carbo/Taxol, Rad:35x, brachytherapy:6x, completed 7/24/06

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics