Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The last two weeks have seen Blythe on a public media junket for awareness and early detection with OCF as her non-profit partner. Today she did the Good Morning America Show, tonight she was on ET/Insider, she has had lots of print pieces appear in the last two weeks, with ABC giving us small regular spots calling for people to watch the interviews, and there are also new print pieces coming out. I interviewed with In Style who wishes to cover an upcoming event with her and OCF, and she did an interview soon to appear in Woman's Day, a magazine which has been very good to us in the past with an article entitled "My Dentist Saved My Life" which appeared last year. With the loss of her husband now several years past, she has been courageously more vocal about the lack of early detection in his death from oral cancer and has begun to speak out. Sophisticated and articulate, we could not have partnered with a better celebrity to bring attention to OCF, the disease, and early detection. We are clearly in her debt. At a time when her workload is at a lifetime high, she has made time to engage in this project, and we cannot thank her enough. If anyone wishes to communicate their thanks to her for helping OCF in this manner, please forward any communications to me, and I will see that she gets them in the next few weeks. Frequently it is difficult for people in her position to know that what they are doing has positive impact. Hearing from a bunch of you would go far in helping this relationship continue and grow.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Well isn't that a trip! Blythe Danner is one of my wife and I favorites on "Huff". She's a great actress. Very cool! Just watch an episode of "Huff" (Showtime - Sunday night) and you will see just how sophisticated and articulate she is (and that's only her character - I can only imagine what she's like in real life. She steals the show every week.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Miss Danner
We send you our sincerest condolences on the loss of your husband.
We truly appreciate that you are taking time out of a very tight schedule to promote our cause.
Maybe if we can get the word out to enough people we will see a decrease in the number of folks affected by this disease.
You are a very brave lady, to even consider dragging up the pain you have been through to help others.

Please accept our deepest and most sincere thanks

Marica and Pete evans

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!

Dear Miss Danner,

I was thrilled to hear from Brian Hill that you have become a vocal advocate for "early detection". Your work with Brian and the Oral Cancer Foundation" will leave us indebted to you forever. We appreciate so much that you have been able to spend time helping "our" cause when you are obviously so busy providing so much enjoyment to your loyal fans.

As an aside, many years ago a very dear friend of mine told me that he was related to your husband Bruce. It is a distant relationship as his mother was Bruce's second cousin. Her maiden name was Lee Harrison.

Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart. This is such a worthwhile organization and it will now be that much stronger with your generous help.

Jerold B. Wilck DDS

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ms. Danner, I would like to thank you for helping us. Oral cancer is such a horrible cancer and we can use so much help to get the word out! I am very sorry about your husband, May God Bless You, Carol Layer
p.s. I just watched "Meet the Parents" for probably the 20th time, you are great in it, what a funny movie! I have enjoyed your performances in many, many movies. I also caught you in a "Columbo" episode, it was awesome.

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Ms Danner, Thank you so much for giving so much of your time to this cause. God Bless you.
Angela White

Caregiver to husband David, non smoker. Dx 1/06 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV, neck nodes involved. Surgery/Chemo/Rad. Treatment finished 5/06. Waiting. Recurrence in lung, Aug07. 6 months Cisplatin/Erbitux. Spots shrinking after 3 Cisplatin tx.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Thanks, to Ms Danner. Public awarenees is what it's all about and what better way?.....
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
JAM Offline

Ms.Danner, I am caregiver to my husband, who has a recurant mouth cancer, and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking on the challange of spreading the word about this disease and the importance of early detection. Your help will no doubt save many lives. Amy Myren

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Please see this weeks People Magazine. Ms. Danner has a two page story about her husband's death, oral cancer, and early detection. OCF is the link mentioned in the bottom of the article for additional information. Powerful story, powerful medium to get the word out.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Dear Miss Danner,

I was diagnosed in April of 2003 and of course death was a reality for me. My biggest concerns and worries were for my children, how they would handle losing me. Reading your husband's story helped me enormously as it was evident that you both had a close relationship with your children, as do my husband and myself. Everytime I see a picture of your daughter, Gwenyth, in the papers (which is quite often!), and it shows her as such a happy and content person, I feel relief. She has ceased to be a movie star to me and has become a shining example of how well our children can cope with losing us, so it puts my fears to rest. Thank you for sharing your story with the world, it helps far more then you realize.
Minnie Ashworth

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Dear Ms. Danner,
I, too, am grateful that you are helping those with oral cancer and their families. So often I hear from others that assume this cancer is not as serious as others because they have not heard about it or they assume it is easily managed because it is in the mouth/throat. Reading the stories of both those that survive and those that die on this forum opens eyes. For those that are living with the disease and receiving surgery, chemo and radiation, the treatment phase stories shared are what keep many going with hope they can survive the aggressive treatment. Thank you for sharing your experience and concern for all of us touched by this disease.
Peace,
Janet

Caregiver, Husband diagnosed 7/6/05 SCC left tonsil, T2N2bM0, Concurrent chemo/radiation begun 8/2/05 (Cisplatin). Received 2 cycles cisplatin, 38 radiation treatments. Completed course 9/27/05.

Dear Ms Danner,
I want to thank you so much for your help with this cause and this web site. Having undergone radiation 9 years ago with no support group in site, I cannot tell you how much this web site would have meant to me. Doing this is no fun, doing this alone without help can be a nightmare for all concerned.

I have also listened to the inane comments of my fellow workers who know have I have this disease twice state stupid things like 'I don't have to worry about ever having oral cancer. I never smoked'. When I carefully point out to them that 25% of all oral cancers are in patients that have not smoked and that they are the ones who are likely to ignore the symptoms and therefore wind up as a stage four, they are amazed.

I am extremely sorry you had to experience this personally and again thank you for taking the time to get the word out that early detection saves lives. Maybe if someone figures out it is not just smokers who get this disease, some more money might be spent on finding a better cure.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Dear Ms. Danner,

Thanks so much for acting as a spokesperson for OCF. This is a wonderful organization and the website was extremely helpful to me during a very stressful time. My son David was diagnosed with stage III tongue cancer in June of 2005. He is 28 years old and had surgery to have over half his tongue resected this past December. He is currently doing quite well and progressing every day.

This disease is especially tough on young adults who don't always have health insurance, don't often visit dentists and just tend to ignore bumps under the tongue or sores in the mouth until something actually hurts. I also believe there could be a link between HPV and oral cancer and this isn't talked about enough.

I know your speaking out about this devastating disease will bring much needed awareness to many and help get the message out there regarding the importance of early detection.

My sincerest sympathy goes out to you on the loss of your husband. Your stage and screen work has been a joy to watch for many years. I especially wanted to mention your role as the mother in "The Great Santini". Of course, "Huff" is terrific and you are definitely the star of the show!

Sincerely,

Davesmom in Pittsburgh, PA

davesmom

Thank You Blyth Danner!!!

I hope you realize the impact your support means to the Oral Cancer Foundation. Who knows better than one who has traveled this path as a caregiver, wife and Mother.
Your help in getting the word out, "Early Detection Saves Lives" is invalauable! I thank you again for donating your time to help such a dedicated website and founder Brian Hill.

Sincerly, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Ms. Danner/Mr. Hill,
Thank you for giving a voice and a face to this issue. It is unfortunate that "loss" or our fear of loss is what unites us. Your dedication to increasing public awareness encourages me to see hope for a future free of oral cancers.
Keep up the good fight,
Gary E. Trout

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members