Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dear Ms. Danner,
I, too, am grateful that you are helping those with oral cancer and their families. So often I hear from others that assume this cancer is not as serious as others because they have not heard about it or they assume it is easily managed because it is in the mouth/throat. Reading the stories of both those that survive and those that die on this forum opens eyes. For those that are living with the disease and receiving surgery, chemo and radiation, the treatment phase stories shared are what keep many going with hope they can survive the aggressive treatment. Thank you for sharing your experience and concern for all of us touched by this disease.
Peace,
Janet

Caregiver, Husband diagnosed 7/6/05 SCC left tonsil, T2N2bM0, Concurrent chemo/radiation begun 8/2/05 (Cisplatin). Received 2 cycles cisplatin, 38 radiation treatments. Completed course 9/27/05.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Ms Danner,
I want to thank you so much for your help with this cause and this web site. Having undergone radiation 9 years ago with no support group in site, I cannot tell you how much this web site would have meant to me. Doing this is no fun, doing this alone without help can be a nightmare for all concerned.

I have also listened to the inane comments of my fellow workers who know have I have this disease twice state stupid things like 'I don't have to worry about ever having oral cancer. I never smoked'. When I carefully point out to them that 25% of all oral cancers are in patients that have not smoked and that they are the ones who are likely to ignore the symptoms and therefore wind up as a stage four, they are amazed.

I am extremely sorry you had to experience this personally and again thank you for taking the time to get the word out that early detection saves lives. Maybe if someone figures out it is not just smokers who get this disease, some more money might be spent on finding a better cure.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Dear Ms. Danner,

Thanks so much for acting as a spokesperson for OCF. This is a wonderful organization and the website was extremely helpful to me during a very stressful time. My son David was diagnosed with stage III tongue cancer in June of 2005. He is 28 years old and had surgery to have over half his tongue resected this past December. He is currently doing quite well and progressing every day.

This disease is especially tough on young adults who don't always have health insurance, don't often visit dentists and just tend to ignore bumps under the tongue or sores in the mouth until something actually hurts. I also believe there could be a link between HPV and oral cancer and this isn't talked about enough.

I know your speaking out about this devastating disease will bring much needed awareness to many and help get the message out there regarding the importance of early detection.

My sincerest sympathy goes out to you on the loss of your husband. Your stage and screen work has been a joy to watch for many years. I especially wanted to mention your role as the mother in "The Great Santini". Of course, "Huff" is terrific and you are definitely the star of the show!

Sincerely,

Davesmom in Pittsburgh, PA

davesmom
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thank You Blyth Danner!!!

I hope you realize the impact your support means to the Oral Cancer Foundation. Who knows better than one who has traveled this path as a caregiver, wife and Mother.
Your help in getting the word out, "Early Detection Saves Lives" is invalauable! I thank you again for donating your time to help such a dedicated website and founder Brian Hill.

Sincerly, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Ms. Danner/Mr. Hill,
Thank you for giving a voice and a face to this issue. It is unfortunate that "loss" or our fear of loss is what unites us. Your dedication to increasing public awareness encourages me to see hope for a future free of oral cancers.
Keep up the good fight,
Gary E. Trout

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members