Next Thread
Print Thread
#49956 06-29-2005 04:22 PM
tizz Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Brian et al,

Have you thought about putting a compilation CD for sale to raise more awareness and funds? The reason being, at present I am making a compilation of various tracks for the National Breast Cancer Foundation in Australia. (I am an Audio Mastering engineer, and am often asked to create such compilations for charity. I get paid for my work, but try to do it cheaper than for my full paying clients!)

This one is of jazz/swing music by some of Australia's premier musicians, who have donated a track each, and I'm sure the general populous are more willing to part with their money to purchase a music CD or DVD, than to just donate. You've more people over there than Down Under, so I'm sure heaps more moolah could be made... wink

Cheers!

Tizz

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
#49957 06-29-2005 05:53 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

It's a great idea.... I wish that we had someone like you here to spearhead it inot a reality. I can tell you ( well you probably alreeady know this) that getting past celebrities gatekeepers is no easy task, let alone getting them to lend their name, sounds, image to anything. But it's a gerat idea. Perhaps we'll chase it a bit and see where it goes.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#49958 06-30-2005 11:30 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Just a Thought, but Gweneth paltrows dad died of oral cancer and i think she is married to a muscician.

Was Primary caregiver to my mom who had stage IV, SCC, Supraglottic with Mets to 4 nodes. Diagnosed Feb 04, died unexpectedly from complications from treatment December 17, 2004.
#49959 06-30-2005 01:59 PM
tizz Offline OP
OP Offline

Yup...married to Chris Martin, lead singer for Coldplay.

Cheers!

Tizz

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
#49960 06-30-2005 07:00 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

As you all know I have worked with the Paltrow family, and Blythe in particular, who was gracious enough to film a public service announcement about early detection of oral cancer for OCF which has run on TV here in the states. If you haven't seen this, go to the multimedia page of the web site and you can see a grainy business card size run of the 60-second piece. (It is beautiful on a big screen in high def the way it was filmed.) In it she talks about the death of her husband. She did a magnificent job for us, and has been kind enough to continue a dialog with me since doing the PSA. Ingrid and I were at a garden party about 5 weeks ago at their home in Santa Monica, and I talked with Gwyneth briefly at that time. She is more sensitive related to the issue of her father's death than her mom, and I hope that she will work with OCF in the future, but am being careful not to be pushy at this point. Working with celebrities who are in the spotlight, who get hit on to give their time, their image, and lend their celebrity to a cause or product every day of the week, is something that only works if they believe they can trust you. I talked and had lunch with Blythe many times over the course of a year before she did the TV PSA for us, and while it wasn't instant gratification, she now treats me as someone who has respected her privacy, and who has gained her confidence. While I have Gwyneth's phone number etc., it is not proper for me to just call her up... these things take time and have to happen within their schedules. Believe me, I am dying to have her work with us, but she has to be completely comfortable with everything. When a celebrity puts their face or name with a product, foundation, or idea

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#49961 07-01-2005 10:43 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I honestly believe that eventually the young lady ( Gwynneth) will become a valued advocate for our cause. She appears to have been absolutely devastated by her fathers death and probably just needs some time to consider how she can best help.
Hope springs eternal!
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#49962 07-02-2005 09:31 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

FYI, while in one of the many medical waiting rooms with Dad I saw that Gwynneth was linked in a mag recently with some PR regarding jewelry for a cancer-related charity named for a woman who was/is a friend of hers? I recall being surprised because I knew about her Dad and oral cancer and presumed she'd do that sometime. I'll let you know if I can recall the mag, maybe somebody else has heard of it??? I know what you mean about the celebs. As a fundraiser for a museum, I once shlepped Jane Fonda, Ted Turner & Peter Fonda around in my car. Doesn't mean they invite me for dinner....although I do have Peter's home number.

Daughter of 75-yr-old Dad with tongue cancer (T3NOMO) surgery and rt neck dissec 4/27/05; completed 27 X IMRT on 7/01/05; recurrance w/ surgical removal of another SCC tumor on 10/7 (he's also nonHodgkins lymphoma survivor since 1/94)
#49963 07-02-2005 05:11 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Actually, Ms. Paltrow recently allowed her image and name to be associated with Maggie's House.... It's a cancer non profit in Great Britan. Like I said I will continue to work towards gaining the confidence of people we would like to have asociated with us, and hope that some of them will come through for the cause and the foundation. Hope does spring eternal.....

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics