Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#49840 04-21-2005 03:34 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

We are printing a new T-shirt, that can apply to any oral cancer survivor. (And remember that every day after your day of diagnosis you are a survivor.) They will be ready in 2 weeks. Besides our own membership, these can be sold to the 10.1 million cancer survivors in the US. Who on this board deals with selling things on eBay? We can make money for the foundation doing this; there are tons of T's on eBay all the time with various themes

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#49841 04-22-2005 06:40 AM

Brian - I would be happy to take the lead on this for you. Pappou's Kids has been looking for a way to help out. I'll contact you regarding the details.

Hero

#49842 04-22-2005 08:29 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Brian & Hero,
I sell items on Ebay as a way of raising money to help with my brother's medical bills and a college scholarship for his little girl. I would be happy to set up an account and auctions for the site if the organization handled the "business" end - shipping and accounting. A paypal account could be set up for the foundation and/or they can mail the checks directly to you. I'm sorry, but I have my hands full helping my brother right now - insurance, sick leave from work, travel reservations, pain management, etc. so I really can't do the distributing part, but I can certainly do the Ebay posting part.
Just let me know if I can be of any assistance to you,
Thanks,
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
#49843 04-22-2005 08:31 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

P.S.
What about Oral Cancer survivor bracelets to sell on ebay? I am a teacher and the other day I received fund raiser info on the rubber bracelets - you could choose the color and words - for about $2.50 each, I think. I would be happy to put you in contact with the company if you are interested.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
#49844 04-22-2005 02:43 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brian,

I used to sell on ebay, but haven't been able to summon up the ambition to get back to it since Heather died. I think I could get started again if it was for someone else, rather than for me. But I will take a backseat for now since you have others willing to take the lead. If for some reason the others don't work out, or if there is more than one person can handle, I will be waiting in the wings to help. My Ebay and Paypal accounts are still active and my feedback rating is 100% positive with 200+ ratings. I have also set up an Overstock.com auction account, but haven't used it yet and I have considered opening a Yahoo storefront. Ebay would probably be your best bet, but if you would like to go beyond that, we can consider the other avenues.

Still not fully back to "living", but hoping, wink
Rosie

P.S. If I would get involved, I could do the shipping also, unless it would be more cost effective for you to do it.

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#49845 04-23-2005 01:35 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Brian,
Fantastic new t-shirt. At the risk of being considered a jackass, can I make one suggestion? How about "It's Reality, Not TV"
Just a re-positioning of words, but...

Good Health

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
#49846 04-23-2005 03:00 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I second that suggestion. I think it says more the way Chuck put it. Just my opinion.

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
#49847 04-23-2005 05:47 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

I don't have a problem with changing the wording. Since everyone is in a creative mood, how about some help with the Lance T. With years of graphic design behind me, I cna execute someone else's idea as well as my own. I get a better rate if I can screen more at the same time.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#49848 04-23-2005 10:46 PM

Cool Brian - I could hear the survivor theme song when I looked at your design. Put me down for a couple of mediums - just don't vote me out!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#49849 04-24-2005 04:15 AM

ok here ar a couple of ideas for the Lance shirt....

Use the words Outsmart, Outlast, Outlive but make the O's out of livestrong bracelets...

or

An olympic ring design with the top three rings made to say Strive Survive Thrive and the bottom 2 rings one in pink (with a ribbon on it) for Breast cancer and one in yellow (with LIVESTRONG on it) for Lance....

My thought on the shirts is that we pay honor to Lance's courage and to all of the others who fight so hard for life too. We have people here with both oral cancer and breast cancer and the shirt can always be an all inclusive kind of thing.

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Lance is an amazing guy and an inspiration but I have also met so many more who are not famous but just as strong and just as surviving and courageous! Just like you Brian. The shirts should be a tribute to ALL who have to face this ugly and unforgiving disease.

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
#49850 04-24-2005 06:19 AM

A couple of thoughts:

I also prefer "It's Reality, not TV."

I like Cindy's Olympic ring idea, but if oral cancer has its own color, I think it should be used instead of pink. Nothing against breast cancer survivors, but we have to remember our roots here.

I know this will probably sound like nitpicking, but I have an opinion about the phrase "Strive, Survive, Thrive". I understand the concept of having it in that order...first you strive, then survive, then thrive and it also looks good in print with the longer word being in the center. But I think Strive, Thrive, Survive has a more rhythmic ring to it when spoken aloud. If this is a theme that you want to continue to use maybe with the idea of it becoming a rallying phrase, I think the spoken sound of it is important and I'd opt for Strive, Thrive, Survive. Just a little, nitpicky thought.

I also wonder if the Lance shirt will sell better if it is focused entirely on Lance? Should we concentrate on a Lance theme now and save ideas with a broad appeal for other shirts? Or do you want the Lance shirt to appeal to all cancer survivors as well as to Lance enthusiasts?

What about something along the lines of "from one survivor to another - Go Lance"?

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#49851 04-24-2005 08:38 AM

Just to clarify.. I wasn't thinking about pink for OCF. Just for the ring for the breast cancer. Does OCF have a color? Maybe we should adopt one.

Maybe we should think up something unique that the world might try to copy like the bracelets. I wear my livestrong bracelet everyday and sometimes I don't take it off. It is a constant reminder to me that this can be conquered and overcome. I wore it before Harry was diagnosed because I believe in the message and now it carries even more significance since we now live within this world.

If I had something like that for OCF I would pass them around by the hundreds and remind people that there are more dangers out there than they are aware. A reminder to prevent, to get regular check ups, to support and to survive.

I ordered my T-shirts and I can't wait for them to arrive. I will wear them proudly because to me they represent all of you.

I know this might sound sappy but I mean it from the core of my heart....

Before last Dec. I had no reason to know any of you and I suppose that I could have gone my whole life that way... but now I carry you all with me everyday. Because the struggle is hard... for patient, caregiver, family and friends. You all invited me in, have listened to my fears and my ignorance, you have given yourselves selflessly and all to my enormous benefit.

So whatever the shirts look like, whatever idea comes to be manifest, I will buy them for my family and friends and I will wear them proudly always.

Here is another thought for an OCF specific shirt.....

I don't know what logo you could put on it but the entire shirt could be covered with survivor signatures. I have seen this thing done on other shirts and it makes a real impact when you see all of the names, signed and spread across the shirt. Obviously there is no way to put them all but, volunteers could offer to sign and the point would get accross loud and clear... "There are more of US than you know".

Just a thought.

Thanks again to all of you for being here!

Cindy

#49852 04-24-2005 03:03 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Is there anything the Canadian Members can do as well?
I'd be willing to help anyway I can.
David

#49853 04-24-2005 03:13 PM

You ARE going to have ball caps (or even buffs) made aren't you? The graphic lends itself to that, I think I am going to want a couple more to give to friends and neighbors who are also cancer survivors.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#49854 04-25-2005 02:24 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Cindy,
Oral cancer does have a color - burgundy (I've seen it with and without a thin cream color line running through the middle. When my parents were at MD Anderson for my brother's surgery my mom found the most beautiful little metal oral cancer ribbons. (about an inch tall) I saw some on Ebay, but they are not as detailed or lovely. Just thought I would let you know.
Brian, I like the idea you shared - GO LANCE and a big number 7 under that - with a sport uniform type of lettering, or how about Go Lance on the front with a stylized bicycle logo and a big number 7 on the back? I will work on a few designs to send to you - although I'm sure you already have dozens of your own.
Thanks for all you do.
Tonya

#49855 04-25-2005 08:03 AM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Great ideas, all of them. I'll start noodleing on some ideas on the computer later in the week (when I beat a few of the alligators down that are about to consume me). As to the oral cancer colors.... this is an issue. First there was one color proposed and made into ribbons by a particular OC group, then another group, which didn't like the first group for reasons I'll stay away from in this post, came up with their own colors.

Let me say this about the ribbons in general; when I first looked into this, I found that there are 2700 trademarked ribbon color identifiers at the US trademark office... I was blown away by the number. But I am more amazed that anyone would still want to piggyback on this idea. For myself, and this will expose my ignorance for all to see, I really only remember the two first ribbons, pink and red, beast cancer and AIDS. As for the rest of them (2700), I could only guess, and therein lies the problem. If you are going to do something it has to stand out. The bracelets that Nike did for Lance were an original idea with a color (the day's winner jersey yellow) that has become synonymous with Lance and the Tour and his foundation. There are now a ton of bracelets of all colors out there, none of which does anybody know what they mean. There are even some people, who I wish would be prosecuted by LAF, that have knocked off the LiveStrong bracelet to a T, and are selling them with nothing going to LAF. The point is if you are going to have an identifier of some sort, being a "me-too" is a waste of effort and money. The ribbon and bracelet have been done ad nausium except for the few that everyone knows about, and the ribbon and bracelet efforts will always be associated with them.

As to the color, I don't think wearing a burgundy or a burgundy and cr

#49856 04-25-2005 08:37 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Brain,
I noticed Rosie has Ebay experience as well and would gladly withdraw my name from "leader" contention. I just offered in case no one else was able. How do you feel about auctioning specialty items - like a bicycle autographed by Lance Armstrong? (with his permission, of course.) I know you are working on the t-shirt now, I just thought I would throw that out there. As for the ribbons and their colors, I agree it has been overused and abuse, but I like my little pin and when someone asks me what the color stands for it gives me an opportunity to share my family's experience with oral cancer and it also reminds me we am not alone.
Keep up the great work!

#49857 04-25-2005 11:59 AM

I agree with the uniqueness idea. That is exactly what you need to make an impact that spreads.

Maybe one color is not really sufficient. Consider this idea:

One of the unique things about oral cancer is that it is a single name used to describe so many more specific conditions. If you say oral cancer you encompass, tonsils, throat, larynx, jaw, tongue, gums, soft pallate, and more I am sure I don't even know.

When people ask me about Harry's cancer I tell them it is on his tongue not he has oral cancer. I guess I do that because it is more specific. But it doesn't make sense to try to take such diversity and try to confine it within the idea of a single color.

I am not advocating a rainbow either so please do not take it that way. I am just suggesting that the best solution is something that will truly express this community of people fighting to survive.

The colors for breast cancer and Lance are obvious. They have a reason for being what they are. And the cancers that they define are considered a single type.

I am just throwing this out there because I thought about what it means to have oral cancer and this is how I see it.

One need only to reed the signature lines of the posters here on the board to get a vivid picture of just how different one oral cancer is from another. So maybe whatever we choose to represent it should be a symbol of what it means.

Then it is unique, like all of you, and it stands out, it has character, and most important it gets peoples attention which is the main purpose of something like this in the first place.

AWARENESS! It is the first step toward prevention.

We had never heard of oral cancer before in our lives. I didn't know what it was or that it even existed until Harry was diagnosed.

The greatest accomplishment that a campaign such as is proposed here can achieve is that it reach people on a very large scale. To save lives and give hope!

Just my 2 cents.

Cindy

#49858 04-25-2005 05:36 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Just so that all who are part of this discussion know what I know, the wristbands are made by a factory in China for Nike. One of our survivors, JetAgeHobo is expatriated in China, and was able to locate the source for us. The costs are low, $1700 for the die and 17 cents apiece when made. We left the idea a few months ago when all the other bracelets starting hitting the market, and in support of Lance. We got a thousand of the LAF yellow bracelets which we sold for two dollars each successfully, one for LAF one for OCF. (Newcomers are not aware of this.) At the time, and even now, because of my relationship with Lance and LAF I didn't want to take from their parade.... We need an original idea that is uniquely ours. That doesn't mean that we can't profit from Lance's celebrity, like with our own cancer survivors support Lance T shirt. I like the idea and I think it will sell. But time is of the essence on this idea. It is over in July, and a different T might be the order of the day after the Tour. We just need to hammer down a phrase that pays tribute to what he has accomplished (as the ultimate survivor and the ultimate competitor), and his willingness to give back some of that determination and strength to others by his example. So let's hear some phrases...I want to add that shirt to the printing starting this Friday.

#49859 04-25-2005 06:15 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Brian, Some ideas?????

"TO CHAMPION TO CANCER TO CHAMPION"
"LANCE ARMSTRONG"

"LANCE SURVIVED CANCER"
"YOU CAN TO"

"YA GOTTA BELIEVE"
"LANCE"

"LANCE SAYS"
"YA GOTTA BELIEVE"

"ORAL CANCER FOUNADATION"
"EARLY DETECTION"
"SAVES LIFES"

"ASK YOUR DENTIST FOR A COMPLETE
ORAL SCRENNING EACH VISIT"

"VISIT AND ENROLL FOR FREE!!
WWW.ORALCANCERFOUNDATION.ORG

DANNY BOY

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#49860 04-25-2005 07:25 PM

You Go Danny!!!!

"OCF Survivors 4 Lance!"

Cindy

#49861 04-26-2005 02:39 AM

LIVEstrong
LIVElong
Follow the guy in the Yellow shirt.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#49862 04-26-2005 04:15 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Don't have any ideas, just bringing this back to the top - Please Read!!

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
#49863 04-26-2005 07:01 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

BREAK THE CYCLE -
with early detection
GO ARMSTRONG

The Cycle of Life
GO ARMSTRONG!

#49864 04-26-2005 10:33 AM

I'm still in awe of rosie's first Idea,
"From one survivor to another..."
Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
#49865 04-26-2005 01:58 PM

Brian,

Just found this post and skimmed the emails. Has anyone looked into the copyright for the Survivor T Shirt? How close can it be without problems from CBS?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, as I said I only skimmed.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#49866 04-26-2005 03:15 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

This is not the real survivor logo. I drew it myself. While it has the

#49867 04-28-2005 12:25 AM

Ok guys, it's almost Friday. What do you all have?
I still like "From one survivor to another...", but it needs tweaked to give it some zip and I can't come up with anything.

So, how about:
Survivors Unite
Follow Lance for the Win!

or:
Cancer Survivors Unite
Follow Lance for the Win!

or something like that. I also have the "yellow brick road" stuck in my head, for the winner's yellow jersey and following Lance in the yellow, but I just can't flesh it out. Help! laugh

Rosie

#49868 04-28-2005 06:23 AM

My only suggestion is that the T shirt color not be white. How about a pretty Lance Armstrong yellow?

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#49869 04-28-2005 07:55 AM

Eileen,

That's a good suggestion. I also am not a fan of white t-shirts. I realize that white is probably the least expensive option. But as long as it is not cost prohibitive, I second the motion for yellow.

Minnie's suggestion of following the guy in the yellow shirt was good. Maybe our ideas can merge.

Survivors unite
Follow the guy in yellow

Follow the yellow for the win

or back to:

from one survivor to another
Go Lance Go!

C'mon guys. I'm not very good at this. I need Help! (In more ways than one! LOL) laugh
Rosie

#49870 04-28-2005 11:24 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I think the shirt is great!! All You guys have good ideas too! smile Maureen

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
#49871 04-28-2005 01:51 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Rosie,

I like your original "From One Survivor to Another: Go, Lance, Go!"

On a yellow shirt that would be great.

There's my two cents.

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
#49872 04-28-2005 04:33 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

You guys are getting close. The ideas and points are starting to go in one direction. Remember that while yellow is his color, it comes from the jersey that is worn each day by THAT DAY's WINNER, which could be someone besides Lance on any given day. Nevertherless, I am for yellow.
There are over 10 million cancer survivors in the US today. How about a play on that.

MAKE IT 7 LANCE!!
10 million cancer survivors are behind you.
(Just like the rest of the pack in the Tour is going to be!!!)

Pocket logo. Something small with a circle of type around it. Maybe just the word Lance with a little 7 slightly above the type at the end ( like Lance to the seventh power) Three to four word need to circle it. They need to represent his qualities. I started thinking of a list of things I think of when I think of him. He is driven to overcome adversity whatever the odds, he has the determination to dig deep and push through things like pain to achieve his goals in treatment or competition. He is focuses and trains more and harder than any other tour competitor, and this is what he credits his wins to. He inspires others by his actions. He gives back after his successes. Anyone please add more to this list if you think of things he respresents.

In my picking -strive, survive, thrive - for OCF which was discussed, I think by Rosie earlier, the order comes from my personal perspective on the process we all go through. We strive to get through the diagnosis emotionally, the treatments physically, when that passes, we survive the disease, a major accomplishment but not a return to a real life, Finally we Thrive and grow in our new lives, rather than exist as survivors. Moving the sequence around changes my perception of things. Thriving has to come last, that is where you blossom again into a full life. But you can't do that if #2 two isn't survive.

Think about lance in these terms...this isn't it, but I hope this makes the creative juices flow. He Survives, he Rides, He Thrives. That isn't it.... Help me here!!!!

As a fall back I too like something on the one survivor to another theme

#49873 04-28-2005 05:03 PM

For the pocket logo, how about:

Outlast, Outsmart, Outlive?
Or Outlast, Outride, Outlive?

Strive to Survive to Ride?

Body of shirt:

10 Million Strong & Growing
Cancer Survivors 4 Lance
We're Behind U All the Way

Rosie

#49874 04-28-2005 05:11 PM

More pocket logo possibilities:

Perspiration, Perseverance, Persistence

Perspiration, Perseverance, Personality

Dedication, Perspiration, Inspiration

Rosie

#49875 04-28-2005 05:15 PM

Okay, it's after midnight here and I'm brain dead. Somebody better come up with a good one tonight before I kill off what few brain cells I have left! LOL! laugh
Goodnight! wink
Rosie

#49876 04-28-2005 05:30 PM

Do a play on the thing they do with the list of what it cost for stuff. use what it might cost for this race, such as price of bike, etc., I don't know what is needed for that type of a race.

Bike $300
Personal Trainer $250
***********$100
Beating Cancer.........PRICELESS!

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#49877 04-28-2005 06:15 PM

Ok try these

In the race for life
We all were Yellow

We LiveStrong like Armstrong
Cancer Survivor (make this a yellow shirt and make a bike out of the circles in the "o" and "g" in both strongs)

A Second Chance to Dance the Dance
Go Lance!

Ok that is all I can think of tonight. I am exhausted.

Cindy

#49878 04-29-2005 06:49 AM

I'm with Barb. I still like Rosie's original suggestion of "From One Survivor to Another: Go, Lance, Go!" on a yellow T shirt.

Eileen

----------------------
#49879 04-29-2005 07:48 AM

I had one additonal thought after I posted that. If we go with that, we limit our market to survivors. Do we want to do that?

Eileen

----------------------
#49880 04-29-2005 09:03 AM

Hi Eileen,

Yes, I think that is the idea for this shirt. Since there are 10 million survivors, that is quite a sizable market. Add to that number T-shirt collectors and family/friends of survivors, since it will appeal to those groups as well.

Although if someone can come up with a zinger that appeals to everyone, I'm sure that will be welcomed. We are down to the wire though, so we need everyone's ideas NOW! eek

Rosie

P.S. Did you get your VA t-shirts?

#49881 04-29-2005 09:34 AM

By the way, I like several of the ideas. Of course, they're mostly mine laugh

From One Survivor to Another
Go! Lance! Go!

Cancer Survivors 4 Lance
(We're?) Behind U all the Way

Cancer Survivors
LiveStrong like Armstrong
(w/the "o" & "g" made into a bike) from Cindy

The cost of the bike, etc., then
Beating (Surviving?) Cancer.....PRICELESS!
per Minnie (FWIW, I think the price of the bike will be in the thousands! eek )

Dedication, Perspiration, Inspiration
for the pocket logo
(only because nobody has come up w/much else)

Now, what does everyone else think? Which one really jumps out at you? Which ones are good, but need a little tweaking? Or give us some Brand Spanking NEW ideas, but do it NOW!

I've tried to think of something that centers on the #7, but am coming up empty. And I still can't get a handle on the "yellow brick road" idea, but it just sounds appealing, if someone could work it out. Maybe yellow brick ride? No, yellow and ride fit, but not brick.

How about taking LANCE and breaking it down, i.e. L is for Living, A is for ?,
Or the same for SEVEN, S is for Survivor, E is for.....

PLEASE HELP!!! eek

Just lil ole bossy me, wink
Rosie

#49882 04-29-2005 01:51 PM

Just bringing this back to the top. C'mon guys, we need to have something concrete for Brian to work with. Who likes what? Let's hear your 2 cents worth!

Rosie

#49883 04-29-2005 03:35 PM

I have to say that the original design with Chuck's switching of the words to "It's Reality, Not TV", has my vote.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

#49884 04-29-2005 03:53 PM

Jerry,

Brian is doing that shirt, but is looking for ideas for a second shirt, which is specific to Lance Armstrong's 7th try for the Tour de France. We're talking 2 separate shirts.

Looking back to Brian's last post and thinking about what Lance represents, the one word that comes to mind is "grit". Determination, perseverance, it all boils down to grit. The man has grit. Now who can come up with a slogan based on grit? Think John Wayne and True Grit.

And I agree with Minnie. You should get the point across in as few words as possible, preferably 2 lines should say it all. 3 isn't too bad, but any more than that and you're squinting and staring in order to read it.

So forget the L is for, A is for, etc. Too much.

LiveStrong like Armstrong is good and From One Survivor to Another is still not too bad.

I still like Dedication, Perspiration, Inspiration for the pocket logo, but those words are probably too long to be able to wrap them around the center and still be able to read them. So what words would convey the same meaning, but be shorter? Maybe Heart, Soul, Sweat & Grit? Or Heart, Soul, Grit & ?.

You know, I think I've written about 1/4 of the posts in this thread and believe me, if I'm the most creative person we have, we're in BIG trouble. Someone please jump in here and save the day! laugh

Rosie

#49885 04-29-2005 04:21 PM

Rosie

Based on Minnie's suggestion

LiveStrong like Armstrong
Cancer Free!

Short Sweet and says it all!

Cindy

#49886 04-29-2005 04:22 PM

sorry clicked too fast...

this one can be worn by survivors and everyone else.

Cindy

#49887 04-29-2005 04:57 PM

Cindy,

Man, this is really going to sound nitpicky, especially since you did what Minnie and I suggested and kept it short and sweet....and I love the LiveStrong like Armstrong part, but I think the cancer free part is too short and sweet, only because it doesn't convey our support for Lance's try for his 7th win.

A main part of Brian's idea was to support Lance, so we do need to keep that in focus. I looked back again at all the other suggestions and I saw Tonya's one for The Cycle of Life. That is so appropriate, Cycle - Bicycle, so how about a combination:

LiveStrong Like Armstrong
Ride the Cycle of Life

Maybe someone could come up with a 3rd line about going for his 7th win. That should still be short enough to be clear and easy to read, but it would get the point across that we support his effort.

I'm zonked. See ya in the AM.

Rosie

#49888 04-29-2005 06:27 PM

OK.... more defined...

make the shirt yellow.... put the little bicycles over the "n"'s using the "o" and "g" for the wheels.......

And on the front pocket Put a giant 7...

Maybe????

Cindy

#49889 04-29-2005 06:33 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

There is lots of good stuff here. We have the weekend to wrap up ideas, then I am going to take them all to a friend who writes copy for an ad agency on Monday AM and after an hour of brainstorming with him, what ever it is at that point it is. LiveStrong is a trademark of LAF; we MAY get away using it.... I'm always one to stick my neck out first and apologize later.

We need to keep survivors in there, it's a shirt for survivors supporting Lance, and that makes the shirt unique from any other Lance related shirt out there. Also I want to get pictures of survivors wearing it (as many as possible) to send to LAF for possible PR use and to forward to Lance in France. (Just realized that Lance and France rhyme) We need to keep seven in there, as this is the 7th tour and last that he will be riding in. That issue of the last tour but not the last of Lance's efforts might feel good. Win or lose his determination is still an inspiration. I can make anything fit around the circle.

Will print out everything on Sunday night and take it to my Monday meeting... when I end up with a final idea...please no groaning, all your ideas are good. Ebay here we come.

#49890 04-29-2005 07:05 PM

Brian,

whatever choice you make put me down for 2 adults and 2 kids!!!

We will wear them proudly!!

Cindy

#49891 04-30-2005 02:49 AM

okay.........Lance, France, hmmmmm,
If using LiveStrong may be treading on Lance's toes, then how about using the Lance France rhyme and tweaking some of the other ideas.

Cancer Survivors 4 Lance
Win that 7th in France

From 1 Survivor to Another
Go 4 the Win Lance
Make it 7 in France

Cancer Survivors 4 Lance
Going 4 the Win in France
U Will Make it 7, Lance!

C'mon, somebody tweak these and make them work.

Anybody come up with something for grit? Anybody like the idea?
Help! Help! Help! laugh

Rosie

#49892 04-30-2005 02:52 AM

True Grit Makes a Champion
True Heart Makes a Man
Cancer Survivors 4 Lance
Going 4 the 7th in France

wink

#49893 04-30-2005 03:43 AM

From One Survivor to Another
Make it 7 in France, Lance!

Cancer Survivors 4 Lance
Going 4 the 7th in France

possible 3rd line:

With U all the way, Lance!
Go Lance!
Go Lance Go!
Ride like the wind, Lance!
Cycle for Life, Lance!
You can do it Lance!

#49894 04-30-2005 05:00 AM

I really like, "From one Survivor to Another"
"Make it Seven in France, Lance"

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#49895 04-30-2005 06:39 AM

fwiw, I liked the "from one survivor to another" beginning too.

and fwiw, about the pink ribbon thing, even though everyone knows it's breast cancer, I and several other breast cancer survivors I know HATE that it's *pink*. Pink is a color most strongly associated otherwise with infant girls. The breast cancer survivors I know are all well out of infancy......

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#49896 04-30-2005 06:44 AM

I forgot to say that I'll definitely order a few of those survivor t-shirts once they're on ebay and the Lance ones as well.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#49897 04-30-2005 05:53 PM

I like this one too

"From one Survivor to Another"
"Make it Seven in France, Lance"

Was Primary caregiver to my mom who had stage IV, SCC, Supraglottic with Mets to 4 nodes. Diagnosed Feb 04, died unexpectedly from complications from treatment December 17, 2004.
#49898 05-03-2005 03:13 AM

So Brian what did u come up with?

Was Primary caregiver to my mom who had stage IV, SCC, Supraglottic with Mets to 4 nodes. Diagnosed Feb 04, died unexpectedly from complications from treatment December 17, 2004.
#49899 05-09-2005 01:18 PM

Okay, Brian,

It's been a week now and my curiosity is killing me! laugh What does the design for the Lance shirt look like? Can we see it soon?

Thanks,
Rosie

#49900 05-09-2005 06:36 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Chester will be posting the final T shirt artwork tomorrow.... I hope you all like it. It is essentially your ideas and my design. Now let's hope that people (cancer survivors) on eBay like it and buy it to raise money for OCF. When I come back from my presentation in NY on Sunday. I will begin the eBay listing, and of course for all of you here they will be for sale in the OCF store (cheaper).

#49901 05-11-2005 03:43 AM

I love the "T" shirt design. will be placing my order soon.

Jerry

Jerry

#49902 05-11-2005 08:13 AM

Where do I go to see the t-shirt design? I also want to order some.

Thanks, Danny Boy

#49903 05-11-2005 09:57 AM

The Survivor t-shirt is located in the products section of the main page. Under foundation products. Looks to me like they updated the site today. Great Job Brian!

#49904 05-15-2005 01:44 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The Lance shirts should be ready at the screen printers tomorrow. Here is the link to the image of the design on the web site. Please note that the left side graphic is small on on the front pocket area. The way Chester put this up you might get the idea that it covers the entire front of the shirt, and it does not. You can click on the image to see it as a larger size. I hope you are all happy with what is essentially the resultes of YOUR creative process, you all had great ideas. Mid week I will get them on eBay as well, and let's hope that not only does Lance get the message that we are all behind him, but that they become a good fund rasing item for the foundation as well. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/products/foundation_products.htm

#49905 05-16-2005 08:38 AM

Great t-shirt design -- I'll wear it with pride with the hat! Thanks for your hard work Brian! - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
#49906 05-16-2005 01:33 PM
JAM Offline

WOW- You guys are sooo cool! Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#49908 05-16-2005 02:27 PM

My wife and I will wear the t-shirts with pride Brian.

Thank you for everything you do to promote early detection. I don't think you realize how your website has impacted so many people in a positive venue.
Thanks to all who purchase the new t-shirts. Any amount we can raise to keep this foundation
viable is truly honerable.

Thanks Again Brian & Ingrid, Your Friend, Danny Boy!

#49909 05-16-2005 04:54 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

First orders for the Lance and Survivor/TV T shirts left today to those of you who have ordered them. Will continue to ship incoming orders tomorrow and Wednesday. I am traveling Thursday through Monday for the foundation, so orders that come in during that period will go out on Tuesday next week. Those of you who posted early in this thread and said you wanted them when available, please head to the OCF web store and place your orders, I can't do anything until the web store sends me the invoice in my email.

#49910 05-17-2005 06:23 AM

I noticed there were no mediums. Does that make me a small or a large? What size did Ingrid get?

Eileen

----------------------
#49911 05-17-2005 02:42 PM

Eileen, men's size small T-shirts are like a women's size medium, usually. HTH.

#49912 05-17-2005 06:35 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

There are mediums, we need to fix the store. Thanks for bringing that up. just send me an email when you order so I get it right if Chester hasn't gotten the store fixed in time.

#49913 05-18-2005 10:35 AM

Brian I would prefer a medium instead of a large on the Lance Armstrong yellow shirt as well (I ordered them last night)

Thanx in advance, Gary

Gary Allsebrook
#49914 05-19-2005 07:29 AM

Just curious if anyone else noticed that the new T-shirt says $15.00 plus $3.00 for shipping, yet when I go to order it, it comes up $18.00 plus $4.00 shipping. It doesn't matter to me as I would pay $50.00 for it, but it seems like a glitch to me.

Jerry

Jerry

#49915 05-19-2005 12:37 PM

That didn't happen to me when I ordered mine Jerry. Came up as $15.00 + $3.00 shipping.

I ordered two and it came up to $36.00

Are you sure you ordered the correct shirt?

Danny Boy

#49916 05-19-2005 01:43 PM
JAM Offline

John and I met with his radiologist for the 1st time today. While they were making his mask, I perused the literature available in the waiting room. I remember reading a post from Danny Boy recently about being able to order OCF literature to put in Dr's offices. Can someone tell me where to find it again. We've driven 12 hours in 2 days and I'm too tired to search. :rolleyes:

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#49917 05-19-2005 02:08 PM

Mine arrived today and are MUCH nicer than the pictures show. Very colorful and of course, good quality. I am going to wear the Survivor one in lieu of the regular Relay for Life one. Thanks much for all the work that went into creating these.

#49918 05-19-2005 02:21 PM

I was the same as Jerry. My total for 2 shirts was $44.00.

I am not asking for the money back. I didn't even look at the price frankly but since you mentioned it Danny I thought I would just put it out there.

Joanna, I cannot wait to see them!! If they are even better than the pics... well I might have to wash mine 3 times a week because I will definately be wearing it around for sure.

Cindy

#49919 05-20-2005 02:37 AM

Same thing happeneed for me. I ended up paying $18.00 for the shirts and then $4.00 additional shipping charge for each shirt. Like Cindy, this isn't a big deal to me if it amounts to donating a few extra bucks to the cause but I do think the pricing as it stands now is confusing.

#49920 05-20-2005 11:16 AM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The original price was based on our early run of OCF shirts 3 years ago, in my haste to get them into the store hadn't considered that things would change much. Colored t's cost us 1.60 more each just for the shirt, which I didn't know when I originally put them in the store. Also when the bill came for the screens of these and particularly the Survivor one which has 6 colors in it, the cost for film and the different color screens was greater, so that the cost for that one was really more expensive. I tried to even things out making more on some than on others.....Chester is fixing the glitches in the store like the sizes. But the pricing change is correct. As a side note, go to eBay and find a Lance shirt for under 40.00. The idea is to raise money for OCF and still get something in return. I am sure there will be no problem selling these on eBay for 20 plus 5 shipping.

I

#49921 05-20-2005 02:19 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't want anyone to think we were trying to rip them off. I guess Chester has to fix the first page with the picture of the T-shirt that shows the $15 plus $3 to be $18 plus $4 since the higher price doesn't show till you go to the next page.

Seems like a bargain when you figure in all that goes into getting them and getting them out. I ordered mine this morning.

Thanks again for all the hard work you do FOR us.

Looking forward to your call when you get the time.

Jerry

Jerry

#49922 05-22-2005 12:27 PM

Brian, I'm sure I'll be totally delighted with what I get for the price. You've put a ton of hard work into this, and also gave us all a chance to feel we were a part of it.

I'm very grateful for this site being here and for all you do, day and night, for OCF!

Nelie

#49923 05-22-2005 01:57 PM

Brian, the shirts are wonderful, colors just POP.
Dan wore the Lance shirt yesterday bike riding!!
Do I send a pic of him with an attachement to your email address?

Sherrie

Sherrie wife to Dan, Tonsil cancer survivor, Stage IV diagnosed July/2001
#49924 05-23-2005 06:28 AM

I took a fast plane to China and have received many compliments on the survivor shirt since I have been here. Got 'em on Saturday, just in time for the trip. I'm going to where the yellow one on Hong Kong on Saturday.

Thanks's Brian, they look & fit great.

PS I've paid a lot more money for concert t-shirts that were crap.

Bob, I'll call you tomorrow when I find out more about my schedule with the client.

Gary Allsebrook
#49925 05-26-2005 02:08 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Kathy and I got our t-shirts ordered. Can't wait for them to come and and to get a picture of us wearing them on our new tandem bike. The survivor and the caretaker will be in sync and smiling.

Thanks for the efforts to get the shirts made and hopefully it will generate lots of bucks for OCF.

cu,
larryb

#49926 05-26-2005 10:10 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Spread the T-Shirt News.

Let's all help out by Spreading the T-shirt news. There are folks who will gladly buy them, if they know about them.

i posted the OCF t-shirt info to CCC, Cyclist Combating Cancer, and got a couple of resposes like this one....
===============================================
Great buy. I just ordered four. One for me, one for my wife and her chairman. Not only is he is an otolaryngologist/head and neck surgeon he is also an avid cyclist, and finally for my cycling buddy John.
He got me a Discovery channel cap, this way I can

#49927 05-27-2005 09:21 AM

The "Survivor" T-Shirt just arrived. It is awesome. Thanks Brian and everyone for putting it together.

I will wear it proudly.

Jerry

Jerry

#49928 05-27-2005 05:00 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Larry b...your order has left California, and I cannot thank you enough for your creative thinking in getting them exposed in other venues. We intentionally kept the wording "oral" cancer off the T-shirts so that they would apply to any cancer survivor or patient, regardless if they were a breast cancer patient or what ever, and that means 10.1 million people in the US. It's a huge market of us out there.... If we could only reach 1% of it !!!!

#49929 05-27-2005 05:16 PM

Brian,
I bought mine today and got one for a pretty wealthy guy that is a friend of my husbands. He's a cancer survivor, just finished treatment for colon cancer about 18 months ago, and he is an avid diver. He does two fundraisers a year through his dive club, diving for a cure, and he is a huge fan of Lance Armstrongs. I know he is going to go crazy over this tshirt and want to buy more.
You should think about sending one to each cancer treatment center on that top 50 list, with all information on how to purchase one, and ask them to display it in the waiting room. I know if I had seen it when I was at radiation or an office visit I would have bought one as quick as possible.
Minnie

#49930 05-30-2005 07:39 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Along the lines of Minnie's idea, if every single person who regularly uses this website bought and wore one of the Lance shirts to their treatment facility and to every doc & dentist office they go to (way too much), many cancer survivors and family members will be exposed to the shirt's availability (and OCF) at no additional marketing cost! I ordered last week and am looking forward to having the shirts...

Daughter of 75-yr-old Dad with tongue cancer (T3NOMO) surgery and rt neck dissec 4/27/05; completed 27 X IMRT on 7/01/05; recurrance w/ surgical removal of another SCC tumor on 10/7 (he's also nonHodgkins lymphoma survivor since 1/94)
#49931 06-01-2005 04:18 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

I just want to put up a quick post to thank all of you who have been buying all of the different T-shirts lately. (Everyday I am at the post office mailing shirts!!) One person even bought 24 to take to a breast cancer support group with her sister.... The response from all of you has been great. Thank you for coming through once again to support OCF. We are almost at a break even point on the money to produce these, and after that it goes to support the actual work of the foundation. You guys are great!!

#49932 06-02-2005 09:44 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey guys,

my t's arrived today and they are out of sight!

let's keep Brian busy going to the Post Office...
maybe with enough sales, we can get him some time on Discovery Channel!

thanks for your efforts
and
folks, get'm while you can.

cu,
larryb

#49933 06-03-2005 08:57 AM

Brian-
Just took a t shirt to our Seattle Gilda's Club with some of the OCF cards and donation envelopes. They will put it on display--hope you get some more orders! And now I have to order another shirt! - Kris

#49934 06-06-2005 03:36 PM

I bought 3 of the t-shirts & we love them! The 1st day Bob wore his "Survivor" shirt, a man stopped him on a store parking lot & asked where he could get one for his wife! That night Bob wore the shirt to his cancer support group & the other members loved it too! The shirts serve many purposes, including making survivors smile!

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.
#49935 06-08-2005 04:15 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

We have just called the Slik Screen company to run another batch of the Lance T shirts.... and I was afraid we wouldn't sell them all before the Tour de France in July!

I thank all those who have participated in this project with your ideas and with your purchases. It has raised funds for OCF that were really needed right now. We are out of stock on a couple of sizes until Monday.

#49936 06-16-2005 07:57 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

I continue to be completely amazed by all of you. What a terrific group of people. I'm off to look at and purchase shirts of my own. :-)

Jennifer

Jennifer
Stage II (T2N0M0) SCC diag 4/21/05; partial glossectomy & selective neck dissection (good margins and lymyph nodes negative), jaw split, 1/3 of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - 5/23/05; 42 years old at diagnosis
#49937 06-20-2005 08:53 AM

Got Dad a Lance shirt for Father's Day and I got myself the "size of the fight in the dog" shirt and we wear them together to treatments on Mondays when we see the RO. I'm spreading the literature and the buttons around the treatment center waiting room, the dentist's office, etc., too. ALL the shirts and OCF products are super, so don't just order the Lance, which is time limited, order lots of goodies!

Daughter of 75-yr-old Dad with tongue cancer (T3NOMO) surgery and rt neck dissec 4/27/05; completed 27 X IMRT on 7/01/05; recurrance w/ surgical removal of another SCC tumor on 10/7 (he's also nonHodgkins lymphoma survivor since 1/94)
#49938 06-20-2005 04:06 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The Lance shirts are on eBay now and we're beginging to get orders for them. With the tour starting in less than 2 weeks, Lance is in the news more and more. I think this will only draw attention to the eBay auctions. While the price is the same, we do slightly better financially on the ones bought in our own store, since we don't have PayPal fees and eBay fees. Next month when we are registered with eBay's Missionfish program, these fees will be less. But I put this information up here to let you all know that we probabnly won't run the Lance shirts again, since I don't want to have OCF's $$ out there on something that there probably isn't a market for after the Tour de France ends. So if you want them.... you had better step up now while we still have all sizes in stock. Next month we will put the Survivor shirts up on eBay, and those we can run indefinately as they are not tied to a particular event. (or until the survivor TV show goes away...which given its high ratings won't be any time soon.)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users