Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Hi Minnea,
I would love to volunteer my services in assistin you with you cook book.
Please tell me how far advanced you are in this project. I wrote you before in asking to help you with the walk, but I never heard back from you. I am available and would love to help in anyway I can. I am an owner of a dental lab. I have a mail order business, and
I have been in touch with Brian who has sent me brochures to send to my accounts. I am trying to inform the dentists about Oral Cancer and hoping they will make a donation to the Oral Cancer Foundation.
Looking forward to hear from you soon.
Rosalie Stern Oral Cancer Survivor Oct 2002
Thyroid Cancer 2003

Dear Rosie,
I am not sure if you remember me, but I used to write to you when I was diagnosed with Oral Cancer in 2002. I was so sorry to hear about the loss of Heather. I had written to you about her many times during her illness.
I would love to be involved in helping to make the cook book.
Rosalie

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Rosalie,

Yes, I remember you. I remember writing to you, but you dropped off the board for awhile and I got so busy with Heather that we lost touch. I am glad to hear that you are doing well.

As far as the cookbook, I have only had one reply to my request for recipes to be sent, so I don't have much hope that we will be able to do it. I need to write to Minnie and see what she thinks. I know we have a few months yet, but I certainly don't want to be trying to put it all together at the last minute. I would appreciate the help if this ever gets off the ground.

Thanks,
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Rosie, I don't have any of my own recipes, but Church put a little cookbook together a few years back, I can certainly email some of those if that would help. Thanks, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Rosie and Rosalie,
Rosalie, sorry I didn't get back to you, I'm usually good about returning emails and am not sure why I didn't respond to your offer to help.
Rosie, please use your judgement with the cookbook, if you don't think it will take off then we can drop the whole idea. Rosalie, if you have any ideas about how to get it jump started, let us know. I am up to my ears trying to do all that is needed for Brian so this walk will be a success in April, plus will be having some surgery in less then two weeks. So, I won't be able to do the cookbook. It was just a thought and won't be looked at as a failure if we don't get it completed.
Take care,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Hi Minnie,

I hope your surgery is something minor and you sail through it with ease. I did get 2 more replies, but I think I should start a new post with "OCF cookbook" or "recipes wanted" in the subject line to get peoples' attention. I have a dr's appt tomorrow, but as long as it turns out to be something minor, I should be able to get a post up in a few days. I'll see what response we get to that and then take it from there. Good luck with the surgery.

Carol,

Certainly a recipe or two from your church cookbook would be fine. I think the idea was to send a favorite recipe, something you make often or maybe a recipe for special occasions. Any recipe that has a special meaning for you. As an example, I will be using one from a little cookbook that Heather's class put together when she was in 5th grade. Her teacher had each child bring in their favorite recipe. She typed them all up in a little booklet with a construction paper cover that the children had decorated. Then each child gave one to their mother for Mother's Day. I will be using the recipe that Heather contributed to that book. It was special to me then, but obviously is even more special now that she is gone.

I realize not everyone's recipe will have that kind of significance, but it doesn't have to. It can simply be that one recipe that you always get asked to bring to family picnics because everyone loves it so. It can be the first recipe your child tried to make on their own. Actually, I have a funny story connected with Heather's first attempt to make supper on her own one night that I was working late. I think I may include that, too. It has to do with a creamed chipped beef recipe that she accidentally used confectioner's sugar in instead of flour! (I obviously didn't have my cannisters marked.) She couldn't understand why it wouldn't get thick. One taste and I knew why! laugh

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.

Hi Rosie, I thought about it and I am going to get a recipe from my Mom, it will be special to me cuz it is something my Grandmother always cooked for me! Thanks so much! That is too adorable about the cookbook from Heather's fifth grade class. Thanks for sharing. Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Rosie-
I too will be sending you some receipes. Just a little slow with year end accounting. Will have them to you by the end of the week. A new posting subject would be a good idea! - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)

Dear Rosie,
I enjoyed reading your story about Heather's cooking experience. I really felt a connection to you and Heather when I first started to e-mail you. Thank you so much for sharing precious memories with us.
Has anyone voluntered to put the cookbook together? I can send you recipes. I have quite a few. The recipes that I have are mostly comfort foods. Please let me know if we should move forward with the cookbook idea. I would love to help. I am not sure what is involved in making a book.
I hope your Dr.'s appointment went well.

Dear Minnie,
I hope your surgery goes well. I will be thinking about you and also hoping that you sail through it with ease.
Minnie, I want to make reservations for the Oral Cancer walk. Should I make them now. Please tell me the names of hotels I can call.
Is there anything I can do to help you with organizing the walk. Please let me know.
Rosalie

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37