Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello Everyone,
The walk will be on April 9th, 2005 in Chesapeake, Virginia. Lot's of board members are coming so I'm excited!
I have a project for anyone that is willing to take it on, one that would create a wonderful keepsake and one that would make money for OCF. I did this years back with my cheerleading group. I would like to have each member of the board send their favorite, most cherished recipe, with a note on it of who they are and what and why the recipe is special. Then I am hoping someone on here will be able to find a printer that will make up cookbooks for us. We raised tons of money with this and I still have my copy and use it. Anyone want to take this on? Let me know.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Minnie:
I'm new to this group. My husband has BOT cancer and is just beginning treatment. Can you tell me where I could get more information on this walk? I would love to be able to participate, depending on Dan's condition, but if I can't perhaps our kids could walk. We live in NC so we are fairly close. My oldest is in Roanoke. Thanks for any info, and I will keep my ears open for printing resources for the cookbook.....GREAT idea.
Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Minnie,

I wouldn't mind receiving and organizing the recipes, but I doubt I could find a printer to do it at a decent price. I'm in a rural area with just a few small printing businesses. I will ask them, but I don't expect a favorable response, especially since they wouldn't receive any advertising from it, being we're not anywhere near Virginia Beach.

Do you have any idea how many you would want printed or how many pages you would expect it to have? It would be nice to have some idea what I would be asking for when I go begging at the printers'!

Do you think it would be possible for one of us to do it on a home printer? Was the one you did previously a nice professional looking book? I know some I have seen locally have been nice, but they weren't a real glossy, super spiffy book. You could tell they weren't professionally done, but they still sold well.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Michelle,
You are close, I know a few people in Raleigh from the cheerleading world. There is a pretty good gym there, Impact, that has coaches I have known for years. I would love to have you or your kids come to the walk, Brian is in the process of putting up a page on the site that will be designated just for the walk, with all the information. We're hoping that this walk will be a model for others to do one in every state in the country within the next few years. I also have older kids and they would welcome your children being here. My husband was born and raised here and used to spend some summers in Roanoke.

Rosie,
It would be such a help if you would organize the recipes. I am going to start contacting some printers in my area, offer them free advertising if they print for free or at least a killer discount. The ones we made were printed by a company but were not some ritzy looking book. It was a spiral bound book, not hard cover but not thin paper either. It was middle of the road. We had each girl take home a sheet that had room for the recipe and also on the bottom the parents and childs name that sent it in. I love seeing my name with my daughters name in this cookbook with a recipe for cookies that she has loved her whole life. We sold the books, and this was about 8 years ago, for $5.00.
I'll let you know what I find out, everything is closed tomorrow but I will start on Tuesday.
Thanks for the offer...........come on everyone, send in those recipes!!
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Minnie,

Assuming that no one else wants the job of organizing the recipes, do you want people to start sending their recipes directly to me? If so, they can be sent to me either by email or snail mail. I can at least get this project started. If someone else wants to help or even take it over later, that's fine. I won't argue! Seriously, I'm sure I can do this, but if there is someone who is experienced in this type of thing, I certainly wouldn't argue if they wanted to do it. After all, we want the best cookbook possible!

If the recipes are coming to me, my email address is:

[email protected]

Postal address is:

Rosemary Michael
7372 Spring Rd
New Bloomfield PA 17068-9324

Let's get cooking! laugh
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi, all. I think the cookbook idea is great. As for a printer, I suggest we look at CafePress.com . They enable companies, groups and individuals to create and sell a variety of custom products from books, to coffee cups, to bumper stickers to buttons. And the best thing is that they makes them one at a time, as they are ordered. There is no need to print 500 or 1,000 copies and hope you can sell them.

I've been involved with a couple of not-for-profits that lost a lot of money on books. They thought they could sell thousands and ended up selling just a few dozen. That's why I like CafePress.com. (I have no connection to the company, but I've been researching them for another organization.)

Just a thought.

Ken

SCCA T2N1M0 diagnosed 11/02, radical neck dissection, 7 weeks radiation, 6 surgeries to deal with osteonecrosis, 10 weeks hyperbaric oxygen. "Live strong. Laugh often."
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Great lead, Ken.
Minnie, I will check with the printer that does the work for the bank - - maybe I can get a deal.

ALSO......in order to 'get the word out' in my community (beginning on a small scale with co-workers), I have begun a 'personal bake sale.' I've got a good reputation for baking, and last week I accepted orders for 6 quiches for Friday delivery. OCF is $82.00 richer smile Though I will not be able to do anything this week, I've already got orders for the following. Hmmmm...10 more weeks to go before the walk. Wonder if I can bake $1000 worth of quiches?!?!?!

Love
Nicki
I've got a few irons in the fire for sponsors, Minnie. I'll be following up next Monday smile

My son is heading to Iraq Feb. 7. The powerful prayers from this group for his safe return home will be gratefully appreciated.
God love you all.
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.

Nicki, I will pray for your son's safety. My nephew left for Kuwait last month, he will spend several months there and then go on to Iraq.
Your quiche and bake sales sound awesome! What a wonderful idea to raise money for OCF. God Bless! Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Nicki, prayers for your son while he travels to Iraq and while he is there as well as his return to his family.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.

Nicki
The world watches, but we wait with you..
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users