Next Thread
Print Thread
#48146 05-16-2007 09:58 AM
mshoe Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi

My question is about floride trays. My gums are bleeding pretty badly. My dentist said to back off and use the trays only 2x per week as the flouride could be irritating the gums. My dentist gave me Colgate's PreviDent 5000 Plus to use in the trays I know that there are flouride sprays available that may be a better choice.

Today at the Cancer Center I heard that there is some controversy about using flouride during radiation. Some radiation oncologist advise against it until after radiation is completed.

Has anyone had problems with flouride trays during radiation? Can I save my teeth with meticulous hygene and Biotene products until radiation is over? I think the first priority is to heal up my gums. My teeth were in great shape going into this.

I'm now in my 2nd week of treatment. My mouth is pretty sore from from thrush that started last weekend. I'm taking diflucan which seems to be working. I've also increased the Acyclovir(for herpes) to a treatment dose. I have the Magic Mouthwash.

I'm just worried about my teeth.

marilyn

dx: Stage 3 T2N2aM0 Left tonsil, base of tongue, 1 left node. HPV positive.
tx: Tonsilectomy (left) then Cisplatin x2, Erbitux x7, IMRT x35
Phase 3 clinical trial. Completed 6/28/07

I can't guess what is right for you, but when I got my fluoride trays my dentist told me that during rad treatments you can go from 0 cavities to a whole mouthful in a very short time. Rad on the face/neck area decreases saliva, and decreased saliva leaves a breeding ground for plaque. He told me plaque is sticky and without saliva to cut it, it clings to teeth and really amps up your risk of cavities. I notice for myself, since my tongue is so sore, I can't do the normal "tongue-scoop" of excess food like I used to. Not that I can eat much anymore, mind you.

but anyhow, I plan to keep using the fluoride as long as I can. My dentist recommended 30 minutes a day, and if I need to I'll drop the time I spend with the trays in.

Good luck, Marilyn!! Got my fingers crossed for you!

Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, epithelioma-like carcinoma. (T2ANOMO IIa). Completed 35 rad treatments June 19, 2007.
"When god closes one door he opens another; but sometimes it's hell in the hallway."
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

what kind of flouride are you using? If it is the older style stannis flouride gel, it is really hard on your gums. It has to stay on for so long, that it really starts to burn.

My oral surgeon (also my cousin) switched me from 10 minutes a day with trays and stannis flouride gel to one minute Oral B flouride foam.

Instead of trays, I would simply put a "blob" of foam in my mouth, move it around my teeth with my tongue, and expel it after a minute or so.

It was way easier on my gums, and less of a hassle. I still use the foam, now about half the time with trays and half the time without.

I'm a year out, and I have no problems with cavities at all. I think this approach worked well, for me anyway
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Like Wayne I also still use the Oral B foam. It is a presciption foam so you have to get it from a dentist. I use it with the trays I had made before treatment. It's pH neutral so it shouldn't irritate your gums.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Marilyn,

I started using the trays with the gel 1 month before my Tx began and I keep them on for 30 minutes each day. I used them throughout my entire Tx, sans a few bad days, and I am still using them 9 months post Tx. I had no problems at all and I have been back to my dentist 3 times since Tx ended and my dentist continues to give me the gel tubes each visit.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
mshoe Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone!

I just called my dentist and asked him to order the one minute Oral B Flourdie Foam.

My gums finally stopped bleeding after 2-3 days without the gel. My dentist told me to leave the trays in overnight. No wonder I had trouble.

I'll let you know how the Foam works

marilyn

mshoe Offline OP
OP Offline

My dentist finally came through with the flouride foam! It took him 4 weeks.

I'd given up on him and got from the radiation onclologist the name of a dentist more helpful to oral cancer patients. I hadn't called the new dentist yet as I'm now in week 5 of treatment and not feeling too great.

Anyhow, the foam is great and it's good to have the name of an alternative dentist in case I need it in the future.

Thanks for your help.

marilyn

I was given a 1.1% gel of sodium flouride gel made by Sypress. It is supposed to stay on for 1 to 2 minutes max, then spit it out but don't rinse. I have not had any problems with this but I'm only just finishing the first week of treatment. I have not heard about the Oral B foam, which woulds excellent. But this particular gel with the shorter time period has worked well for me.
David R.

Age 60, SCC Right Tongue Base
DX - CT scan 4/9/2007
Tongue biopsy 4/19; Neck diss 5/8
T1N2bM0G3
IMRT x48 [2/day] to start 6/7
w/ 5-FU, hydroxyurea & Erbitux

I also use the sodium flouride gel and have had great success, so far. I used it during radiation and am still using it 3 mos. post tx. I simply brush it on like toothpaste and follow David's directions.

11/28/2006. Left lateral tongue, partial glossectomy, T3, moderately differentiated. 12 lymph nodes from neck, all clear. IMRT, 30X, ended 02/21/2007.

Oral B or Butler Neutral Ph Foam, is used in much the same manner as the gel. Only keep the trays in for four minutes (and don't rinse for 1/2 hour). No big deal.

In the past some have complained about the gel making them nauseous and also the burning sensation that some have described.

I was able to use the foam all throughout treatment with no adverse effects.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23