Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#45284 07-29-2005 03:45 AM
Barb Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Monday my doctor asked me if I wanted to take a break for two weeks but he did not really recommend it. I said no that I would see it through to the end which at that time was this week, next week and 1 day.

Well today the rad tech says Monday you have to see the doctor first because I am afraid he is going to have to stop you for a while because of the condition of your neck. My neck see has fat cells oozing out of it and the skin looks melted kinda. Just in the hollow of my neck though. The rest is just a beautiful maroon color that would have gone with my eyes when I used to get drunk. laugh

Back to serious......I do not feel comfortable taking a break. Is there nothing they can do to heal it up any? I am still using the Biafine and the V gel pads so its not dry. Its just that one lousy spot. Did anybody ever have to take a break because of this kind of thing?

God bless,
Barb~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#45285 07-29-2005 05:17 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Barb, my neck and jaw were nasty, oozing open sores and I just took more pain pills and finished. No one gave me the option of taking a break, and it all healed with no scars. Because we take weekends and holidays off,though, I don't think a couple days of break will make any difference in the long-term results, and it might help your poor neck a lot. And you ARE getting close to the end of treatment!

#45286 07-29-2005 05:49 AM
Barb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joanna (my daughters name by the way smile )I have next week and 1 day so 6 more to go. I just would like to get it over with you know? I am tired and I am going to the country to my sons for a few weeks rest after the last treatment. They are talking 2 weeks break and there is no way I am delaying this another 2 weeks.

Oh I feel so bad for you Joanna. I hope you healed up quickly. This disease stinks and the treatment stinks. TG for the roses.

Bless you,
Barb~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#45287 07-29-2005 06:01 AM

Barb,

There were a couple of times when my RO allowed me a break of a day or two (in my case it was due to the severity of the sores inside, not outside). As I recall, he wasn't willing to go any longer than that before resuming.

I hope you can get some relief over the weekend and be done with the nasty stuff sooner rather than later.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#45288 07-29-2005 09:28 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Radiation is cumulative so unless they will be starting to radiate a different area on Monday, taking a break may mean they will have to add extra treatments at the end and you don't want that. See what the dr says on Monday and how you feel. I'd tried to get it over wuth if you can.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#45289 07-29-2005 10:07 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My open sores were so bad the radiation nurses were asking if I had shingles. Actually in my case, the Iressa made the breakout on the back of my neck worse. It was nasty nasty nasty. I noticed today that the hair I lost on the back of my head is finally starting to grow back and it's interesting as it's a little patch of half inch fuzz.

I can remember being oh so miserable by the end of radiation, but thankful to push on through to the end. It was pretty yucky for about a month after radiation ended too, but it felt good just to put those daily radiation appointments behind me.

Barb, I'd get it over with. As miserable as all of this stuff is, my mindset is always to get all the bad stuff done, over with and most of all BEHIND me.

Jen

#45290 07-29-2005 01:11 PM
Barb Offline OP
OP Offline

I think I am going to try and go on. My neck is bleeding some tonight. It itches really bad but that 5% cortisone script takes me to the moon in pain.

I believe I will ask him if there isn't just something I can use at night other than the Biafine and the Vigilon pads. I am so afraid of an infection. The thing is now from the hollow of my neck to almost untder my chin. Its white scaley looking stuff that is stringy. It is so weird looking. Tonight though I noticed some blood spots on the jelly pad and that kinda blew my mind away really quick. frown

Love and hugs,
Barb~

#45291 07-29-2005 01:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Barb,
I support others' view that taking a break may not be wise unless you really can't tolerate the pain. I would put the whole nasty thing to an end asap.In my last 2 to 3 treatments,( I had 48 rounds!) most of my neck was burnt and bruised with blood. I shed tears every time my mask was fastened tight to my neck. I remember they covered my neck with some 'Glad Wrap' (the one we use to cover our food to keep it fresh). It didn't help much. When the nurse announced that it was the last treatment, I gave them a broad smile which they said had been missing for a long time.Neither had I been given an option for a break other than the usual Saturday/Sunday. There wasn't any medication for me to heal up the neck, either.So you can weigh the pros and cons of delaying the treatment before discussing with your doctor.
By the way, you need not feel bad for Joanna. I know she is doing very well. laugh

Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#45292 07-30-2005 03:02 AM
Barb Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay. I will go on no matter how bad it gets. I want to so now if the doctor lets me it will be over and done. I hope the week goes fast but like when we are waiting for something we really want it will drag on and on. Know what I mean?

I am going to wear the Vigilon pads all weekend and see if it helps. I rinsed my neck this morning, dabbed on the Biafine and applied a new pad. I am going to do the same around 7 tonight. I have upped my protien intake as protein rebuilds tissue so I am on a mission! I will let you know Monday if it worked. laugh

Love you all!
Blessings,
Barb~

#45293 07-30-2005 02:56 PM

Barb --

Our radiation oncologist resident at Hopkins told us that every day you stop treatment, you can lose 1% effectiveness (or even more) -- OK, I don't have any reference for what he said but if it's anywhere near correct, that's a good reason to try and avoid unscheduled breaks. That's also why our rad team is so concerned with controlling acute side effects so Barry won't have to take breaks -- but who knows, you see from this forum that some people seem to go through OK and some have lots of problems, getting same radiation dose etc.

As they say, "hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics