Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45070 06-26-2005 04:09 AM
Tonya Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Me again. My brother and family returned from their week-long trip to the mountains last night. His face is extremely swollen - both sides. I spoke with a nurse at MD Anderson and she said the lymph nodes were damaged from the radiation and it is difficult for the fluids to drain from his face. All she could recommend was a facial massage by someone experienced in dealilng with lymphodema - that's hard to find in poedunk - I know, I've been searching a 100 mile radius. Has anyone found anything to help reduce this swelling? I thought maybe someone who had experienced this might have found a way to ease the swelling. I appreciate all advice. We did have hospice look at it - it was a weekend nurse who was not familiar with his case. First she asked, "Have you been stung by a wasp?" - No. Then, again having not looked over his records to see his tongue had been removed, said, "Stick out your tongue." So, obviously, no help there. I'm not faulting them, as I don't think many cases of oral cancer come their way, it was just sad. Anyway, I know David would welcome any relief to the swelling - it's starting to obstruct his vision - any even a little reduction would help.
Thanks,
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Tonya! Healing does take time, be patient. Shop a little for a physical therapist that either has experience or is willing to research it enough to become aware of what they're dealing with. The surgeons should be able to write a prescription for treatment. He can do self massage & stretching that will feel good & keep tissues loosened up & keep the new scar tissue limber & pliable. Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tonya, a couple of things he might try, first is to add elevation to the head of his bed. Several inches of boards or whatever you have under the matress at the pillow end will help with lymph flow during the night. Second the method of massage I was shown, is not massage like we think of. It is more of a stroking motion with the fingertips, starting higher up on the head and gently stroking down the neck to the collar or shoulders. The idea is to move the lymph in the general direction that it normally flows which is towards the chest. The pressure applied should be light, it is not the same as massage for muscle tension. The strokes should be repeated many times each "session". It is true that radiation and surgical scars are blocking the normal flow, it is also possible that the cancer is part of the problem. In any case the lymph will find new pathways if given some encouragement

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Tonya Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thank you so much, Mark. Yes, I fear the cancer is part of the problem, too, but with the swelling worse in the mornings, perhaps the "massage" will help. Thank you for the information. I will go share it with him now. - he just lives about 3 miles from me.
Thank you for your time to respond,
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23