Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45051 06-19-2005 03:57 AM
doreen Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi
My name is Doreen and my husband is Lee. He has stage IV SCC base of tongue and epiglottis. He had a radical neck, total glossectomy, and partial laryngectomy on April 12, and is currently undergoing chemo and rad. He hAD to have surgery(not the treatment of choice) because 10 years ago he had chemo and high dose rad for tonsillar non-hodgkin's lymphoma and could not receive enough rad this time to kill the new cancer. I guess my first question is if there is anyone out there who had total tongue and partial larynx who can swallow anything? We're told this combo of surgery is rare and they don't have many statistics. He currently hs a peg tube and a trach, both of which were not sure are permanent. He is so sick right now and I was hopuing to share some info with him. at 42 years old, he can't fathom never eating again!
Thank you and God Bless us all.

Caregiver to husband Lee-Stage IV SCC base of tongue/epiglottis. Had total glossectomy/partial laryngectomy/ radical neck dissec 4/05 followed by chemo and rad.
#45052 06-19-2005 09:24 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Doreen,

I see you had no replies. I posted on June 16 for the first time in both "After Treatment Issues" and "Introduce Yourself". No replies yet so I don't want you to have the same frustration. I had a subtotal glossectomy, forearm free flap, and pharyngoplasty for recurrent anterior, base of tongue and pharyngeal cancer in Feb 04 plus 36 rads finished in May 04. PEG tube in Feb 04 which I still have. Larynx was not involved. Complications included cellulitis infections in June and Oct 04 which held up swallowing and speech therapy until Dec 04. Plus good old mucous and tight mouth which must be constantly stretched to get suppleness. Finally passed modified Barium swallow test in late Feb 04 but am confined to liquids through a syringe that "squirts" to back of tongue. My "new" tongue is sutured to floor of mouth, therefore its immobility, according to the therapist, accounts for having the syringe and lack of good speech. Therapist showed me a book that seemed to suggest the possibility of freeing the tongue surgically. I am going to see my ENT June 22 and I will ask him. Failing a satisfactory answer, I will try to contact the book's author for more details. Did your husband have a free flap reconstruction and if so, is it mobile or sutured?
My point of all this is that I have read where total glossectomy patients have returned to eating by mouth. I was always tired after rad so I fully understand. I am not giving up, nor should you.
God Bless you and your husband as you struggle with this dread disease. Even though I have great home support, believe me, no one understands that hasn't been there. I'll pass on information as I get it. Feel free to ask questions.

#45053 06-19-2005 12:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sorry Guys
I for one cannot help either of you , I wish I had the information you need.
The only support I can offer at present is a ready "ear" for listening and positive best wishes sent your way.
Take care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#45054 06-19-2005 05:37 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

I can't answer your questions either - no tongue involvement - but would like to welcome you Doreen, Lee and James to the site. I agree that we need to have 'been there' to fully appreciate the impact of oral cancer and its after-effects on our lives. Although my taste is minimal, I am able to eat and talk normally and I am very thankful for that.

I send you best wishes for your recovery and hope, James, that your ENT will be able to free your tongue surgically.

Love from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#45055 06-19-2005 07:44 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey people!! Happy Fathers Day!! Wer'e still here! Doreen, tell Lee hello & to keep his chin up! That goes for you too. I did not have laryngectomy, but I did have 40% right ressection & forearm free flap which for a long time I thought had very limited mobility because it was sutured down tight to floor of mouth, but I've either adjusted or the tissue has stretched from use or both. I never stopped trying to eat orally through the whole thing, even when just a sip of water would make me cough a lung out! I only had the trach for a couple of weeks. I do know that so much of how I function now is just "normal" for me. As in I always eat with a pile of napkins, I can't lick my lips, I can't clean food from my teeth so I always carry floss, I almost always drink milk with everything I eat to get it down, etc. I still occasionally find I've eaten something that just won't go down & is just stuck there in the back of my throat in a wad that I have to run to the sink & hack out! But I have come a long ways for sure. My kids reminded me of that today! Where Lee is at right now is bad for sure, but unfortunately is the new reality & he will adapt & be better, feel better, & get better. It just takes time & effort. Most of us here have gone through our own grueling, hellish treatments, struggles & despair. Those same folks will tell you it does get better, but takes some time. Take care, Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
#45056 06-19-2005 11:14 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Doreen and Lee,

In July 2003 I had a total glossectomy, right/left neck dissection, trach, and peg tube surgery (no larynx involvement). After 8 1/2 months I was able to have the trach and feeding tube removed which was a BIG milestone! Today I am able to eat just about anything I want (rare steak, chicken, pasta, seafood, veggies, etc.) except for most if not all bread-type foods including the "good stuff" (cookies, chips, crackers!). For the most part I've found that if I can pickup the food up with my small fork, then I can eat it. Needless to say mealtime consists of hugh amounts of water needed to help move it along and wash it down, but hey, I hear water is good for you, too!! I must say that eating is not as enjoyable as it use to be (sense of taste is very limited) and does require a lot of concentration and determination, BUT it can be done! And occasionally the food does get hung up in my throat but nothing that a cough and spitting food out can't solve (sorry to sound gross). Anyway, hang in there, Lee. By the way with the help of a speech therapist and using a palatal drop mouth prosthesis, my speech is pretty darn good.

I hope this helps as far as some encouragement that you'll be able to eat again.

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
#45057 06-20-2005 01:15 AM
doreen Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for responding. My husband had a flap constructed from his thigh (knee to hip due to needing total tongue) It is sutured. They don't feel he'll be able to do the syringe push back method for fear of aspiration since his epiglottis was also removed. They have only really given him about a 10% chance of any swallowing. This whole thing is so horrible-I wish I could wake up and it was over. We have a 6 year old little boy that I am also so worried about. Thanks for listening.

Caregiver to husband Lee-Stage IV SCC base of tongue/epiglottis. Had total glossectomy/partial laryngectomy/ radical neck dissec 4/05 followed by chemo and rad.
#45058 06-20-2005 01:39 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Doreen and Lee,

I hope that you are finding the suggestions of the members helpful. Although I have not experienced any of the treatment that Lee, did, I want to offer my support and prayers. I am a dentist and a neighbor, living in Yardley. If there is anything I can, please let me know.

I assume that Lee's surgery was done locally. All the cancer centers in our area are great. I had mine done at Fox Chase. Where was Lee's done?

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#45059 06-20-2005 01:41 PM

To All,
Just got a post from cnilson in "After Treatment Issues" under "Immobile Tongue" where she said her husband has his tongue "tethered" to floor of his mouth and their ENT said it could be feed up with a small outpatient surgery. I don't know to what extent his surgery differs from all of ours but this is certainly encouraging. I will see my ENT this week and I will ask about it.
Just wanted to pass this along as there is always hope.
Doreen, my heart goes out to you and your family. At least I was 67 when I was struck by cancer with a grown family. I should count my blessings and not complain. One thing I learned is to start therapy as soon as possible after rad and chemo. This is so important and it will help your husband regain hope and strength.
God Bless.
Jim

#45060 06-20-2005 01:54 PM
JAM Offline

Dear Doreen and James, Don't know that John's situation will be of much help to yall, but his surgery involved removing a chunk[that's a medical term-don't ya know]which shortened his tongue 1 to 2 inches we think. It will no longer lift so we are guessing that it is sutured down also. John is finally getting up his nerve to ask the surgeon just exactly what he did, so maybe we will know more next week. Swallowing was easier for him a week after surgery than it is now after rad #18. Now he is having a difficult time. We'll just have to wait and see. I encourage you to stay in touch with this forum. It is the place to be for encouragement and support. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users