Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nelie Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

the other question that has come up, totally separate from if I should continue Amifostine shots, is that my second chemo was delayed. It should have been Monday but I was feeling as though I had a unrinary tract infection coming on (just the very early symptoms but those are what you want to catch), ws running a low fever in the evenings, and had a very low WBC adn RBC count.

Then they said probably by Wednesday (today) I could have it since the blood showed Monday lots of WBC platelets just forming (these have a special name--can't recall what they're called) that should release to adult white blood cells in a couple of days. But they didn't. So that's out for today too. But they went back and did a "hand count" from the sample and decided that there were more WB cells there than the machne had said so I'm going to have chemo tommorrow.

This would be three days off schedule with rad, but they had a malfunction in their computer and so I missed a day there Monday as well, so it's two days off schedule.

Still that means the earliest I'd get my next (lasy) chemo, 3 weeks from tommorrow, would be my very last day of radiation. I guess that one still acts as a radiosensitizer for the cells for the weeks after rad is over when it "keeps on giving"? And what if I have the same problems then? At what point does the chmo get so out of synch that it might mean I only do two treatments overall?

Have others of you who had chemo and rad concurrently run into this?

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

I had some delays during treatment, twice because I was too ill and 3 times because the machine was down. They also shortened my Cisplatin treatments to 2 instead of 3. My WBC & RBC was pretty low as well because of both the radiation and the Cisplatin. 25 months later I finally have a normal WBC (although on the low end). The Cisplatin works for about 3 weeks at a time. The radiation still does the heavy lifting - the Cisplatin is an adjunct.

It still killed the cancer (practically killed me along with it but I am ok now ;-).

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Nelie-
I had 4 Cisplatin treatments of which only 2 were during radiation. The last two were each postponed a week for one reason or another. Don't remember now why. I wouldn't worry about a short delay between treatments. - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Nelie, I had 4 Cisplatin treatments spread on 4 consecutive weeks during radiation. That means I completed the chemo within the first month of my treatment. I didn't have any chemo or radiation delayed because before my treatment, I kept myself at the fittest stage by doing excercises and eating a lot of nutritious food.I knew that my health would be weakened drastically once treatment started and I didn't want to lengthen my treatment duration. So within 7 weeks, I had 48 rounds of radiation together with 4 chemo,as scheduled. No break in between except on Saturday and Sunday.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Nelie, I missed a week, or rather one chemo was delayed a week because my blood counts were too low. Didn't seem to make any difference because I am still here and kicking and feeling great three years later. Don't let this be one of your worries.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23