Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tina, You didn't say who told you about not being around kids. They may be thinking the radiation is dangerous. This is NOT true if she is having external radiation treatments. If she is getting internal radiation treatments (radioactive seeds) then she will probably be isolated during the time the seeds are in place. Ask her radiation doctor to be sure. Her immune system will be affected by the treatments, so it would be wise to protect her from other common illnesses. She needs human contact however, so don't go overboard on this.

As to her being cranky, some of the pain meds. can cause wild behavior and mood changes. If you suspect this, then see what else they can prescribe.

I know this is all scary and my heart goes out to you and your family (mom too) but she can do this and your helping, is helping!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think what was meant by the kids thing was only if they are sick. Cancer patients have compromised immune systems and children are prone to aggresive viruses. When I worked for a school district, many years back, I was sick constantly. When I left the district there was a rather dramatic change in amount of colds and flu I had.

I was a pretty cranky patient too for a variety of reasons during different phases (pain. frustration, no taste, meds, fatigue, nausea, constipation, etc.). Depression is also quite normal for cancer patients. It usually is the worst post treatment.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tina,

Hardly petty Tina, more like a daughter that loves her Mother and is very concerned and caring. You can vent here anytime.

It is more than understandable that your mother is not her usual self. This disease and its treatments don't make you feel very good. People and/or things that were just a small irritation before can become BIG items. Like Gary, I was not a very pleasant patient. It takes a while to even begin adjusting, but she WILL adjust.

Everyone reacts differently to the different pain meds. Sometimes they need to be changed because of adverse reactions. As others here have said many times, observe and write down any little or big question to ask the Dr.s (you cannot possibly remember them all.)

I don't know if you have already talked to your Mom about coming on board here, but I think it would be a big benefit to her.

I agree with Mark and Gary about the children issue. Ask the Dr. and use your common sense.

Prayers and positive vibes to Your Mom and You and your family.

Peace
Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV,
Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection,
Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides

Call me anal but I had my wife open doors for me so I wouldn't have to touch the handles. I wore driving gloves a lot, especially when grocery shopping. Just think about all of the potential disease vectors - gas pump handles, ATM pushbuttons, grocery carts, handshaking greeters at your church - the list is endless - any things commonly touched by people at large or in public places. I still carry waterless hand disinfectant in my car. We very very diligent about disinfecting the kitchen and bathroom as well. I avoided colds and flu very successfully in the first 2 years - which could have easily caused pneumonia in a compromised immune system.
Kids aren't very discriminant about who or what they touch - that's why colds and flu are so prevalent in schools. Make sure that they wash their hands frequently, especially before seeing grandma.

Think about it, back in the old days, people having this type of treatment would probably be placed in an isolation ward.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

On the other end of the spectrum from Gary, I was doing RAD/Chemo in Hong Kong during SARS, when people were wearing masks while riding in their own cars. Only time I wore the "SARS mask" was when riding in the MTR, bus or other public transportation, every once in a while at the mall. During that time everyone was wearing a mask and if you didn't you looked out of place.

Key is to use good interpersonal hygiene practice and use common sense. If you're really worried about airborne infection, the disposable surgical masks are realatively inexpensive and easy to use.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics