Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#44296 12-16-2004 03:58 AM
Tonya Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thank you both so much. We have arrived back home. David has a great deal of pain on the right side of his tongue that the previous doctors thought was an infection. MD Anderson did several tests Tuesday and we don't have the results yet, but the doctor said it looked and felt like cancer. So, while the surgery is not set in stone yet, the doctors are basically sure that will be the next move and hope to have it done by the end of the year, if they can coordinate schedules with the plastic surgeon. The doctor said alot of the time it is too late when people who have had chemo and radiation come to him, but he thought they might still be able to help David. David returns to Houston on Tuesday. I'm sure we will know more at that point since the tests results will be in and the doctors did not want to get too ahead of themselves talking about the surgery details yet. They said he would be in the hospital for 7-10 days and he would need to remain nearby for an additional 10 days. I'm sure my parents will be there and his wife and daughter so I'm now searching for some type of reasonable housing and airfare. Any tips are appreciated.
I am so greatful for this site and the unique perspective of patients who have been through the surgery so we have an idea of what to expect - though I have a feeling even armed with knowledge it will more of a challenge than we can even imagine at this point. I also appreciate any insight on the surgery - like average recovery length, etc. We did meet many wonderful people there and many shared their stories of miracles and that gives us hope.
I wish you all the best and you remain in our thoughts.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
#44297 12-18-2004 04:36 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Tonya, glad things have gone well and Anderson is working with David. My cancer was in the tonsils, so I can't help with tongue issues, but I'm sure it will go as well as possible as the doctors at Anderson have a very good reputation. You, David and your family are in my prayers.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics