Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44232 11-21-2004 02:35 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Any body have any ideas on how to keep mouth from opening while sleeping. I was never a mouth breather until after surgery & with the combination of dry mouth, the tip of my toungue gets so dry it's very painful in the morning. The tip of whats left of my tongue hurts sort of all the time anyway probably from nerve/tissue damage from my surgery. I can just envision the surgeons ahold of my tongue with like surgical pliers or something just as archaic! I sure don't have much to complain about, considering I'm alive & cancer free today, but this little issue bothers me alot. Tried to eat some lean steak last night & had to give up before I finished. It just wouldn't go down my throat! Had to sort of hack it out of my throat. I'm sure others have mentioned similar problems with lean beef. Today I worked for 4 hours in the yard, lawn mowing, bush trimming, etc. Sure feels good to be able to work hard again. Lately I've been working very hard, alot. 4 hours in the yard is not an example. I'm talking about 12 hour work days and stuff. Almost like I'm trying to make up for lost time or something. Maybe it's just my compulsive personality. I don't know. I'm just rambling. I hope everyone is at peace today or can find it soon. Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
#44233 11-21-2004 03:06 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Eric, I know what you mean. I wake up periodically during the night with the dry mouth. Its why I have a glass of water on the night stand. I just sit up in bed, take three small drinks, swish the water each time where it seems as if it is partially absorbed before I swallow it, then swallow, then lay back down (or prop myself up in a sitting position) and go back to sleep. Don't think there is any cureall, just putting up with the "new normal". Try eating the steak in a plate of tomato sauce (like for spaghetti). This will help it to go down by keeping it moist and the acid in the tomatos also helps to break down the meat as it is sitting on the plate and makes it more tender. Also, try cooking it so it is more rare. This makes it easier to chew and swallow also. Congratulations on working so long. I can only go about 2 to 3 hours in the yard before I wear out. Even in our low 80's high 70's temperatures these days. During the heat of the summer, I could only last an hour or two. So be at peace up in the pacific northwest because you are doing good.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#44234 11-22-2004 05:24 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Eric-
I used the Biotene gel to coat my mouth before I went to bed. Have also heard of using a childs tippy cup near your pillow, doesn't spill and you don't have to mess with a cap while you are half awake. It does get better with time. Hang in there!! 4 hours of yard work? It's been over 2 years for me and I don't have that much energy!! Way to go! - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
#44235 11-22-2004 09:06 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Erik, I, too, became a mouth breather until I began to use the anti-snore nose strips, the name of which I cannot think of right now. These are the ones that stick on the outside of your nose and serve to open your nostrils wider. Did the trick for me. Cheap fix if it works. It might help to know that I no longer need them, so again, time is the great healer.

#44236 11-22-2004 12:28 PM

Erik,

Just a couple of additional suggestions:

1) I also found that for awhile I was sleeping with my mouth open, and it seemed to be the worst when I was lying on my back. I tried to adjust to lying on one side or the other, and that helped somewhat.

2) For several years now, I've been wearing mouth guards -- both upper and lower -- when I sleep. My dentist started me on the upper one due to excessive teeth grinding, and I added the lower one when I found that I was reverting to a tongue-biting habit in my sleep. For some reason, having the mouth guards in place seems to force me to keep my mouth closed for most of the night.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23