Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
amk813 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Many of you may remember several of my previous posts about my sister, Kim. Things have gone from bad to worse for her. I'm really at a loss here. This past week, she was rushed to the hospital because she stopped breathing and started bleeding from her neck. The cancer, which started in her tongue, has spread to her neck and has literally eaten holes through her neck. She has wide, gaping holes that seep - you can see straight inside her.

Well, if that wasn't enough, we found out yesterday that her cancer has spread from her tongue, neck, and throat to her jaw. She is on the lowest dosage of chemo because she has a serious infection - which means that the chemo is doing nothing to help her and the cancer is justing eating away at her.

Monday she will see her ent and we're expecting to receive a prognosis. I don't think that I can deal with this. I look at her everyday and feel so scared and angry for her. She is in intense pain all the time and everything just seems to be getting worse. When she was first diagnosed, I never thought that it would come to this. I remember her doctors saying that this is curable. Two different times we were told that she was cancer free, but each time, the cancer came back in full force and spread even faster and worse.

I'm still hoping and praying for a miracle, but it doesn't look like my prayers will be answered. I'm really not even sure what to do or think.

Sorry to vent to you, but I am in disbelief at this time. I know that this disease sucks and is horrible to everyone in it's path, but I never expected it to be this bad for Kim. She is young and strong - we all thought that would work in her favor, but we are learning first hand that cancer doesn't care about how strong or young you are.

Please keep Kim in your prayers - she needs all that she can get. I will update more after her appointments next week. I'm hoping for good news, but I have a feeling that there won't be any.

God Bless

Sister of Kim, a 24 year old cancer fighter diagnosed on 12/5/04, who fought strong and hard and died with dignity and honor on 1/3/05.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Angie,

I'm so sorry to hear of Kim's deteriorating condition. We were also told that because Heather was young, strong and otherwise healthy, she had a good chance of beating her cancer. But you're right. It just doesn't seem to matter.

The one thing that really jumped out at me from your post was that Kim is in intense pain. She shouldn't be! Her doctors need to be managing her pain better. Please insist that they get the pain under control. She is suffering enough and should not have to deal with constant pain.

I wish I had some words of wisdom or comfort for you. I know you must be in agony watching Kim endure this. I know I wanted so much to be able to help Heather, but there was so little I could do. Just be there for Kim in any way you can, even if only to sit beside her and hold her hand for awhile. She will feel your love and it may bring her some comfort.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Angie, I am so so sorry to read this about Kim. I was praying that no news was good news aince it has been a while since I haa heard from you. Why is this happening like this? I hve never heard of this before. I remember you saying that surgery was not a option way back when she was first diagnosed that has always bothered me as to why? She is being tortured it seems. There is no need for all the "PAIN" she is going thru. There are way too many med's out there to stop that. My GOD I am just in tears here. What she must be going thru 24/7 I cannot even imagine. MY LORD WHO COULD! And then for you and your family as well. You are on prayer lists around the world and on mine. GOD please please help this young family with all this pain and fears. Please lend your hand for them to hold for some peace and comfort through this tyring time for them all. Kim is a baby a meer child please help her with her suffering. THis is no way my LORD JESUS this is no way. Make this your will and help this family thru these times I only ask of you my Jesus Christ. Amen. Miss Vicki

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Angie, I am so sad about Kim. I am praying that God performs a miracle in her life. I am praying for you too, this has to be devastating, she is so young to be going thru all of this. I wish I could help. Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Angie,
I have a daughter Kims age, her name is Amy and she is a college student. I have been sitting here thinking how I would ever handle her going through what Kim is going through right now. It makes me feel blessed that I am the oral cancer victim and not my child.
You have my admiration and I wish there were some way to help you with this.
I agree with Rosie, there is NO WAY she should have to deal with constant pain right now. Someone needs to holler loudly and steadily until the pain issue is addressed.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Angie,

I am deeply saddened to hear about Kim. I know there is nothing that can be said that can end the pain you and your family is going through. Keep praying for a miracle but be aware the miracle may come in different ways than what you are asking.

I pray that God will find a way to ease the pain and suffering for Kim and He will comfort you and your entire family and give you peace.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023

Angie,

I am so sorry Kim and your family have to go through this. Cancer has no favorites, It takes the young, the old and everyone in between.

Call her Doctor and INSIST that she be given be given proper pain meds. What doctor is in control of the pain? Scream and hollar but get her the proper pain meds for her leval of pain!!

I hoping there's a miricle out there for Kim.

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Angie,

You and Kim and the rest of your family are still in my prayers. I can't imagine what this is like for you -- I also have to agree with what the others have said about pushing Kim's doctors to deal properly with her pain.

I hope she gets some relief soon and that her doctors will be able to find something to overcome the infection problems, as well as the spread of the cancer.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989

Dear Angie
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
it is a nightmare ...Kim should not be suffering like this.
Bless You
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!

Angie, my prayers are for Kim, you and your family. That the Lord will ease all of your pain and bring comfort through the holy spirit to you all.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics