Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#44044 10-25-2004 01:28 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Rosie,

After reading all the responces to this thread I wanted to share with you how I feel about it.
One of the things that make us human is to be able to disagree without losing that bond we all share.
I don't think there's a member of this forum who doesn't love you. You post when you feel the need. Your posts are always informative and I and many others value your input. Meeting you was one of the highlights of the reunion for me.

Your Friend, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#44045 10-25-2004 01:40 PM

Hello Minnie,

I understand what you were trying to get across. In no way did I find anything in your post offinsive. I consider you a valueable member of this forum and would hate the thought of you not posting due to a misunderstanding. I'm sure Rosie agrees with me. You both contribute so much to this forum.

Did you receive the album? I sent it out over a week ago. Hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

Looking forward to the day we meet and keep those posting coming.

Love ya, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#44046 10-25-2004 01:46 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

This PEG tube stuff always brings out all kinds of emotional response - more so than any other topic (except religion). I didn't get one and defied my RO, AMA. Rummage around in the archives and you will find the same discussions. Maybe some folks are short about this because of that very reason. I have to admit that there haven't been many discussions of the nasal feeding tube option so that has been an education for many of us.

I paid a price for my decision - lost 60 lbs, inhibited the healing process, etc. Would I do it again, go PEGless that is, probably, but I couldn't in good conscience advocate that path for everybody. It certainly isn't a path for the faint of heart or those in which extreme pain is an issue. Did it help my future swallowing prospects? I use to think it did but now I am not so sure. The swallowing issue is a complex one subject to many factors and unknowns. Surgery, pectoral flaps, radiation, etc. all play different roles.

Some folks here very life has depended on the PEG. The bottom line is that we all respond differently to treatment so everyone's opinions are of value. It does cause me a little pain to see it getting personal, or rather that some opinions are percieved in a personal manner. We are all survivors here and each of us bring a unique piece of the puzzle to the table. This is NOT directed to anyone in particular, just a general passing comment.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#44047 10-25-2004 03:29 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Minnie,

I am sorry if I read your post the wrong way. I still bvelieve this post has gotten out of hand. Again, sorry.

And Rosie, I wrote that in the waiting room at MSKCC. Talk about a touchy day, my doctor was 2 hours behind!

Glenn

#44048 10-25-2004 04:19 PM

Rosie and all else involved in our OCF drama thread:
Each and every one of you are an important part of my life. One of the first things I do in the morning is come to this site, to read messages from my friends. I end my day reading the messages. I have not met even one of you but consider you all my friends. With friendships come the little speedbumps that make the relationship interesting and worth being a part of. This is nothing more then a speedbump. I am a natural at letting things go, quickly, and this one is gone for me. I can only hope that any words I clumsily typed did not cause any long term damage to any of my relationships on this board.
Rosie, I cannot tell you how much respect I have for you. When I received Danny's book a few days ago with all the pictures my daughter and I both said how you looked JUST like we had thought you would.......very warm, happy and loving. Heathers story was the first one on this board that tore at my heart when I first became a member. I showed her picture to all my older daughters, telling them about her. As a fellow mother I admired the courage you showed taking care of her and still coming on this board after her battle was over. I am not sure I could have done the same.
So, I hope this will all end with none of us feeling like we need to tip toe with our posts and hold back how we feel.
I promise to try to express what I mean better in the future and to not be so narrow minded about the silly peg tube.
Love,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#44049 10-25-2004 04:19 PM

Rosie and all else involved in our OCF drama thread:
Each and every one of you are an important part of my life. One of the first things I do in the morning is come to this site, to read messages from my friends. I end my day reading the messages. I have not met even one of you but consider you all my friends. With friendships come the little speedbumps that make the relationship interesting and worth being a part of. This is nothing more then a speedbump. I am a natural at letting things go, quickly, and this one is gone for me. I can only hope that any words I clumsily typed did not cause any long term damage to any of my relationships on this board.
Rosie, I cannot tell you how much respect I have for you. When I received Danny's book a few days ago with all the pictures my daughter and I both said how you looked JUST like we had thought you would.......very warm, happy and loving. Heathers story was the first one on this board that tore at my heart when I first became a member. I showed her picture to all my older daughters, telling them about her. As a fellow mother I admired the courage you showed taking care of her and still coming on this board after her battle was over. I am not sure I could have done the same.
So, I hope this will all end with none of us feeling like we need to tip toe with our posts and hold back how we feel.
I promise to try to express what I mean better in the future and to not be so narrow minded about the silly peg tube.
Love,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#44050 10-25-2004 04:23 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Glenn,

You are right. The post had gotten way out of hand. It did seem like we were getting back on track though, and I was hoping we could stay there. But after a 2 hr wait, I think perhaps you are entitled to a touchy post or two! Hope the appointment went well once you finally got in. Are you still doing chemo? Hope it is going well for you. Take care, wink

Minnie,

I agree. We need to put this behind us. I obviously totally misinterpreted your meaning. And possibly you did the same with mine? Anyway, there are no hard feelings. As far as I am concerned, things are back to normal.

As to me continuing to come to the forum, believe me when I say I have tried to stay away. Sometimes the stories here bring me so much pain I don't know how to bear it. But, as many as you have said, we are family! Coming here was what kept me sane during Heather's ordeal and every time I try to stay away, I find myself being drawn back. I think, in a way, it is also a crutch for me. As long as I keep OCF a big part of my life, I can put off getting back to the rest of my life. I have finally admitted to needing help and recently went on an anti-depressant. I was one of those who could see the merit of other people taking them, but always figured I didn't need them myself. Wrong!!! I do need them and now that I have admitted it, maybe I will finally be able to move on with my life. I don't think I will ever stop coming here completely, though. It truly would be like leaving family and, truth be told, I am closer to some of you than I am to my own siblings. Well, enough of the maudlin stuff. I'm headed to bed. Goodnight all!

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#44051 10-26-2004 06:27 AM

So...tell me what you really think about the PEG tube!! eek Just kidding, please don't hit me.

On another note, did anyone other than me have the "button"? It was designed for people that wanted to maintain and active lifestyle in spite of the need for a PEG. It extended about an inch or two and had a one-way valve that prevented any leaking. It came with two tubes, a thicker one and a smaller diameter one. One was for feeding and meds via syringe and the other for a feeding pump. It was put in at the doctor's office in 5 minutes or less. It was so cute that I still miss it, sometimes. NOT!

I am certainly one unique dude...I was a poster child for the nasogastric, had a PEG and a button!
laugh

Love you all!

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#44052 12-06-2004 06:34 PM

How the Heck did I miss out on this one!??? Two whole pages of "diss-cussion" and not one word from me?

I must have been in a vacuum or something!

For the record: I get the last word laugh :p

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#44053 12-06-2004 07:20 PM

Been wondering why you haven't posted much lately Mark. Hope it's because your working long and productive hours. Alot of the questions posted don't fall into my experience with oral cancer. I like Minnie read the postin's daily to keep up with all my friends and to make new ones. Think about the growth of this website in just 1-1/2 years. In late July of 03 I was member number 853 and now there are over 1700 members. All of us have had a small part in acheiving this. We all know Brian is the main man
on this website. I wanted to Thank You Brian for everything you do for us.
I think I got the last word in on this one Mark!!!

Brian, Could you send this thread to the recycle bin in a day or two?

Love Ya All, Danny Boy

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics