Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nicki Offline OP
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Good morning, all.
This has been a rough weekend, and I am curious if anyone had problems with muscle spasms during treatment?
Tom had his PEG placed on Tuesday - on Wednesday, his back began to ache. On Thursday, it was a bit worse, and on Friday it was very bad....brought tears to his eyes. He said it felt as if two knives were being shoved into his lower back in the kidney area. It hurts him to move even a little -or if he coughs. We made the 90 minute ride to radiation, and they were concerned just looking at him. He insisted they do the treatment after the long ride. They did it, then sent us to emergency where we spent the next 5 hours. He was x-rayed and his blood and urine were checked; nothing (thank Goodness) was found. He is wondering this morning if the radiation could cause anything like this.

I'm hoping for a better day.

Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Nicki, the radiation is not hitting this area
so it sounds like a lumbar strain. The spasms
can hurt pretty bad in this area. It doesn't take
much to strain this area, so anything could cause
this. Ice packs on the area will help alot.
I am 2 years post radiation, and I get pins-and-needles
tingling sessions in the area where I
got blasted by radiation.. I also get some pretty
bad cramps in my neck, but it lasts for only a
minute or so.
Ask the doctor or nurse to show him leg and back
stretching exercises, particularly the
hamstring muscles. That will keep the tension
off the lower back.
Hope Thomas feels better.
O-O O-O

Head and neck SCC
TXN2bM0 stage IV
Finished treatment 6/02
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Nicki,
I had back spasms and ended up at the doctor for them. I was given a prescription for Skelaxin. I attributed mine to walking somewhat differently from my leg surgery to spending ALOT more time sitting on my butt. Hope Tom's clear up as fast as mine did.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Nicki Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much! I'm giving him a back rub tonight - and told him to do some of his karate leg and back exercises if he can. I was thinking perhaps this IS happening because he's gone from working out 4 or 5 days a week (karate, racquetball, kickboxing) to just about nothing. I'll tell him now about working the hamstring part....I know not much about good exercises, but have told him when he gets well, we are hiring a trainer and we are both going to start weight training.
I'm trying to tempt him to eat a little something...gotta go smile
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23