Next Thread
Print Thread
#42689 09-21-2002 04:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Group,

This post is part venting and part informational for those who may suffer the same problem.

Two+ weeks post treatment, my mother has landed herself in the hospital - partly because she would not listen to my admonitions about getting enough fluids and partly because her doctors were not listening to me. During her first week, I could tell she was not taking in enough nutrition and fluids. So the second week I basically forced her to have a PEG tube placed. I think the problem was that no one considered the fact that this person's stomach had shrunk and that her feedings should have started slower - as a result, she had back-ups in her tube which caused her to vomit and this turned her off to ANY feedings. She was getting infusions at home of saline, but of course her electrolytes were not being replaced. As a result, she became very fatigued, somewhat disoriented, and generally felt lousy. First trip to the ER didn't do much good - 2 days later, we fortunately got some doctors that would listen to the symptoms and understood what was going on - I think the fact that her potassium level came back as "Panic Value" did the trick.

For those who don't know, potassium is VERY important to our nerves, muscles and greatly impacts the funtioning of the heart. Mom's blood pressure has been going up and down like a yo-yo and she's had some irregular rhythms. So, she has spent the last two days in the hospital, getting hydrated, supplemental potassium, heart monitored, and making sure she is tolerating her feedings.

We hope she'll be released tomorrow - she's getting antsy so she must be feeling better. I only hope she's learned a lesson about how important the feedings and hydration are and that she'll be more diligent about the necessity of this. She seems to be having a difficult time accepting the fact that this is how things will be for awhile - even though I've told her this is normal but that it won't be forever.

Thanks for listening. I start each week hoping that we can get on a even keel so I will start the next week thinking the same.

Cynthia

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

sorry to hear about your mother. i have some advice about the electrolytes. when i was vomiting due to chemo, i got some pedialyte and put it down my peg tube. that stuff really helped to keep me going, and the doctors were quite impressed with how it kept my levels normal.

hope all goes well for your mom from here on out. i'll pray for her.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.

John was without food for 6 days before the placement of the peg tube. Because of this, the home health nurse started him on a pump feed. It runs very slowly for 24 hours. This did not impact his stomach. Then after 5 days we went to a modified bollis and finally to our now normal schedule. I believe the pumps are paid for by medicare. Also our doctor put John on gatorade for the electrolites. He gets 20 ounces per day.
Good luck to you and your Mom.
Meredith

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users