Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42084 12-21-2007 08:12 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

The FDA has issued a public health advisory on the use of fentanyl patches.

The brand name for the fentanyl patch in the US is Duragesic; generic versions of the patch (by Mylan and Sandoz) are also available.

The alert deals in part with doctors inappropriately prescribing the patch for problems as simple as a headache(!), but also notes that applications of heat near the patch (such as a heating pad, an electric blanket or even a hot shower) can cause an overdose.

-- Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Thanks Leslie,

We can always count on you to keep us up to date on anything that hits the news that's related to oral cancer.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

The FDA has a good point that Fentanyl is a "long term" opioid and should only be prescribed as such. But it is also the ultimate synthetic narcotic pain killer - 100X more potent than pure heroin (which is 10 times more potent the Morphine). Without it I doubt I would (or many others here) have survived the pain. I also took many showers with it on and never had a problem. It can cause an overdose if the patch is cut or damaged however so the user instructions must be followed VERY carefully. If is a safe and very effective drug when used properly. My neighbor, who recently died from pancreatic cancer was taking 5-100mcg patches - that IS the maximum dose. If you are using it just make sure that you follow the labeling to the letter and make NO changes in your dose rate without direct medical supervision or approval. Never quit this drug abruptly or "cold turkey" - it can cause convulsions and death. When it becomes time to stop taking it, you should get a phase out, tapering off, plan from your doctor.

The delivery mechanism is a permeable membrane that allows small amounts to be released transdermally (absorbed into the skin) and hence into the blood. It takes 24 hours to initiate a therapeutic level of the drug. After the first patch the pain management effect is very consistent.

It is not uncommon for other "short term" narcotics, such as Morphine to be used for "breakthrough" pain with it as well.

Morphine is the fastest acting, short term, pain killer. IV instantaneous, liquid about 4 minutes, oral about 30 minutes. Everything else takes at least an hour. If you are having to take Morphine frequently then they will increase the Fentanyl dosage, typically in 25 mcg increments.

Do NOT let the FDA advisory scare you if you are taking Fentanyl. On the home page there is a link to the NCCN Oncology Practice Guidelines and there is a special section on managing adult cancer pain if you are interested in the details.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks Leslie and Gary for this valuable information.

My Dad is on Fentanyl (50 mcg's with Percocet for the break through pain - about every 3 hours). While the doctors can explain how to use this drug, I think Gary's post put it into the simplest of laymans terms. I plan to call Mom here in a bit and read it to her. Thanks for putting it into words that we can all understand. I really liked how you did the comparison to other drugs.

Merry Christmas!

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics