Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Anyone have any experience using Jevity 1.5 cal as a nourishment replacement? I posted under this section as I get this by prescription. Been on this stuff for 5 weeks now which I dump down the old PEG tube.

Will be starting 7 weeks of radiation on Wednesday with 2 doses of chemo thrown in for good measure and have read how others have used Ensure, Boost etc for nourishment. My plan is to drain 7 - 8 oz cans down the old tube daily along with as much water that I could possibly barf up (when I do).

I have also read where some people get an adverse reaction to a particular flavor which will make them sick. If you are feeding yourself through a PEG tube can you avoid that problem because you basically cannot tasted what your pouring down?

Jon

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

HI-
I know my sister used this along with Ensure Plus. I don't think she had any reaction to it. I think she did 3 cans of this and 3 of the Ensure when she was at your stage along with water. She also tried Carnation VHC- which I hear is great, but it sat in her tummy like lead- she was very thin at that time. Good luck- Penny had 5 or 6 weeks chemo along with the 38 IMRT's.

Sarah

Sister is Stage 4 DIAG 9/06 Tongue/Tonsil /T4N1MO - BOT -right lateral/crossed midline-42 X IMRTS/ Carbo/Taxol for 7 weeks- finished treatment early 12/06-no trace to be found 1/24/07 Recurrence 12/09- rad neck and partial gloss 2/10
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Jon,
Jevity is good, as are all the others. It comes down to what you can tolerate best. I was on Jevity in hospital, and it did not agree with me after a couple of days. I wound up using Resource 2.0, and still do as a calorie booster.

If Jevity is working for you, stick with it. It's very well balanced nutritionally, and you'll make out fine with it
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Others here (like Danny Boy) have sworn by Jevity, and insurance will typically pay for it, which will not pay for Boost or Ensure. I am not sure that the flavor makes any difference when using a PEG, but I didn't use a PEG so there you have it. PEG users can correct me on this.

I did try Boost and it gagged me so I went to Carnation Instant Breakfast fortified with Hagan Daz. I lost weight (a LOT of weight actually - I can still wear a 29" waist size [down from 34"])but at least I am still alive to tell about it.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
JAM Offline

DEar Jon, Here are several considerations to mull over. #1. I you can get your Rad Doc or other Oncologist to write you a script for "tube food", you can most likely get the Ins. co to pay for it, asuming you have Insurance. That being said, there is an amazing array of choices out there for people who need to keep weight stable or gain weight. The over the counter stuff-Boost, Ensure, etc.- is marketed for senior citizens and people with dietary problems. However, products like TwoCalHN- 475 cal per can, distributed by Ross Nutrition, Carnation Nutren2.0- 480 cal if I recall right- and VHC [very high calorie] distributed by Nestle and others are made specifically for high risk weight problem patients. I don't know where Jevity fits in here.It may be well worth your time to research this and talk to your Docs, because if you are trying to maintain a 2000 +- diet a day, it can get very time consuming and tend to really bog you down. As to flavors, as much as I love chocolate, I could not eat it every day, so you will probably want a choice of flavors. Keep going. Amy in the Oz

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

My husband is currently using jevity 1.5. 7 cans a day. 3 bollus and 4 by the pump. it has a tendency to give him the hiccups. Dr. gave him chlorpromazine for that. Still losing a lb. every 2-3 days.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Jon,

Try Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC. It has 560 nutritional balanced calories in a 8 oz can and will cut the misery and the time in feedings. You order it thru your pharmacy dept and some have suggested that if you get a prescription for it, your insurance company will pick up the tab. I only pay about $32.00 per 24 can case at Walgreens. That's only $5.00 a day for 2000 calories. Click on this link:

http://www.nestle-nutrition.com/family.aspx?objectID=86E49EB3-BE25-4B16-81D7-235E6F6E5183

Under the PURCHASE PRODUCTS tab, select FIND A PHARMACY NEAR YOU.

Under the PRODUCT NAME pull down, select Carnation Instant Breakfast Lactose Free VHC and fill in your zip code and they will give you a list of pharmacies that carries it.

At the top of that list note the Product Code and NDC Number in case that helps you when you call the store. When I call Walgreens it only takes a day or 2 at the most to get it delivered to the store and they call me when it's in.

You can also order it online but it usually costs more and takes much longer to get.

No, I do not work for the company nor do I get a commission (I wish) but this product made my feeding life during and post treatment much much easier and I am sure it will do the same for you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hi Jon,

My husband is usig Jevity 1.2 without any problems at all. But I didn't just receive the Carnation VHC in the mail. I ordered it from South Mountain Health Supply for about $23 per case, plus shipping which was pretty reasonable. It arrived within a week and that is all the way to Hawaii! I'm am just having my husband use one per day to start because he's maintaining his weight pretty well so far. As he starts to drop, I'll increase it.
Keep "Pegging out!" A nurse friend told us that! We both laughed.

Vicki

Care giver for Stage IV Base of Tongue TXN3M0
Neck Dissection 1-9-07
IMRT & 8 weekly Cisplatin
2/20/07 - 4/17/07

Just a slight word of caution. Liquid diets can cause just as much, or worse, constipation as if you were eating nothing but protein. One small advantage of Jevity is the added fiber other than it was specifically developed for PEG tube feeding.

I personally used off the shelf Carnation Instant Breakfast packets (I don't think that the VHC variation that David talks about was available when I was going though treatment)because the milk based products were easier for me to get down. I discovered that I could still taste coffee and they had an espresso flavored one but you had to buy the 3 pack cartons to get it. I would take Hagen Daz coffee flavored ice cream and add it to the vanilla flavor. I gave away the strawberry ones - just didn't do it for me. You really must experiment with flavors if you are taking this stuff orally. The thick texure of Boost and Ensure just gagged me and I couldn't use it at all - others here have had the same experience yet some swear by it and still use it to this day!

Gary Allsebrook
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users